Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joelsabi
    • Aug 2005

Jeter, Big Papi Steiner Letters without item for sale

Is this agains eBay policy to sell COAs without the item?

Samples
    Attached Files
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.
  • joelsabi
    • Aug 2005

Re: Jeter, Big Papi Steiner Letters without item for sale

What seems more damaging is that 27 Jeter COAs have already been sold.
    There are 20 more for sale.
    Something to keep an eyes when buying Jeter and Ortiz items going forward.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• dangerzone79
      • Mar 2013

This is absolutely ridiculous. How could Steiner let this happen? Unless they're fakes. Wow.

Comment

• PAC
        Banned
        • Jan 2012

They're not fakes, unfortunately.

Steiner just jumped to the top of the DO NOT BUY list.

Comment

• MGHProductions
          • Oct 2005

The real problem is, some of the previously sold Jeter letters were for bats, jerseys and one was even for his fielding glove. Since there were no matching number holograms or anything like that, some fakes are certainly going to hit the market
          Matt

Comment

• KGoldin
            • Sep 2012

I have forwarded a link to this thread to the appropriate people at Steiner, and have given them my contact at EBAY security to get these items pulled, and to check to see what letters may have been stolen from their offices

Comment

• emann
              • Nov 2008

I thought there was a post on here about the Ortiz Steiner LOAs a couple of years back (that's how long they have been up, unsure if it was the same seller) and this was addressed then (to both Steiner and eBay I believe, I know I've contacted eBay about them). I seem to recall those Ortiz letters as being more vague and saying something along the lines of "this game used item" and not referring to a specific item.

Obviously, if you're in the market for either player's items, make sure they also have the MLB holo on them and don't just go by the Steiner letter.

Comment

• PAC
                Banned
                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by KGoldin
                I have forwarded a link to this thread to the appropriate people at Steiner, and have given them my contact at EBAY security to get these items pulled, and to check to see what letters may have been stolen from their offices
                "stolen" lol

Comment

• dangerzone79
                  • Mar 2013

I sent a message to the seller on Ebay, here is my message followed by their response.

"Dear nymintsports,
                  Hi there. I know you're just trying to do business & make money, but as an avid collector this seems like a very irresponsible thing to do. This really damages the whole point of Steiner COA's as far as fans/collectors looking for these things as proof that the item they have is legit. With these people can just buy them & attach them to any old glove, sock, shoe whatever. Just my 2 cents, but I am speaking for the entire collecting community. Thank you."

And they responded with this.

"these letters are from my collection they will be bought by Tri-Star and used as cut signatures!!!! thanks for your concern!!!!
                  - nymintsports"

If they're on Ebay how the hell do they know who is gonna buy them & what they'll do with them?!?! Hahaha. Wow.

Comment

• allstarsplus
                    • Nov 2005

Interesting response from the seller. Certainly a cut signature would make it very collectible but you also have to be concerned what other purpose these LOAs could be used for.

This part of my comment goes back to how Steiner would ever think of using non-numbered holograms as the issues from Steiner products floating around with generic holo's is still a big problem in the hobby.
                    Regards,
                    Andrew Lang
                    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                    202-716-8500

Comment

• Wrigley2010
                      • Sep 2010

All the more reason for Steiner to get with the times and start serial numbering all their game used items as well as adding an online data base!!

Comment

• joelsabi
                        • Aug 2005

I found the thread that mentions selling LOA without item is against eBay rules.

Is the person selling them a GUU member?

There was a nice resolution in that thread where Mr. Joel Alpert bought all the COAs, the title description on the COAs were crossed out, and the autographs were cut and slabbed.
                        Regards,
                        Joel S.
                        joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• beachpetrol
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by joelsabi
                          I found the thread that mentions selling LOA without item is against eBay rules.

Is the person selling them a GUU member?

There was a nice resolution in that thread where Mr. Joel Alpert bought all the COAs, the title description on the COAs were crossed out, and the autographs were cut and slabbed.
                          There was a link in that thread that is important regarding ebay rules and selling COAs:

If you click on the COAs/LOAs link under the guidlines section on the ebay page, you'll see you cannot sell COAs as stand alone items.

Comment

• marino13
                            • Feb 2010

If it was a signature-cut type of sale, I don't see a problem with it.

But to some non-educated collectors - they just want a full page display of the letter ... Again, I don't see a problem with that.

But, if we have a well-document-educated collector, this is a scam waiting to happen ... And I don't have a problem with that either since I'm not going to touch it.

Comment

• carbonrosa
                              • Jun 2012

I've notice that alot of Steiner items on ebay have numbers on there stickers. Are these new or are these dealer only stickers or are they fake?
                              -Devin

Comment

Working...