PDA

View Full Version : Matt Barkley Game Worn MEARS

DoctorLoomis
11-23-2013, 06:03 PM
http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=73371&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=25&category=74&seo=2010-11-Matt-Barkley-USC-Trojans-Game-Worn-Home-Jersey-(MEARS-LOA)

Based on numerous factors this jersey dates to only the 2010 season. Getty Images shows that he wore one red jersey in most games.....the left shoulder seam reveals that. I haven't been able to photo match this jersey to any game as of yet. I'm bidding on it as game issued.

BrianK
11-23-2013, 11:57 PM
I assume you meant to say 2011, based on the Pac-12 patch.

DoctorLoomis
11-24-2013, 03:19 AM
I assume you meant to say 2011, based on the Pac-12 patch.

Hi Brian....you're correct....typo. However, I have some revealing information concerning the Barkley jersey....with photo evidence. Please read my next post.

DoctorLoomis
11-24-2013, 03:33 AM
Firs and foremost, the PAC 12 patch and placement date this jersey to the 2011 season ONLY. That being said, a significant problem exists: attached are photos from every game played in the 2011 season. Notice the elastic at the bottom of each sleeve. In 2011 Barkley jerseys utilized an "open" sleeve much like Phillip Rivers uses currently. In 2010, Barkley utilized a "tight" elastic sleeve fit like Andrew Luck currently does. The jersey offered clearly has the "tight" elastic cuffs at the bottom of each sleeve. Photo evidence will show this was an impossibility in the 2011 season.....the ONLY season this jersey could have been worn. You can also clearly see the thickness of the elastic cuff in the auction jersey....compared to the thickness in the actual game photos. They do not match. I will attach a photo from 2010 that will show the extra tight fitting cuff. The 2011 jersey fit extra loose....not even close. Lastly.....photo evidence shows that Barkley, after the third game, used a "cropped" bottom jersey....there is NO size tag. The offered jersey obviously has a size 44 size tag. All this being said, in my OPINION, there is no way this jersey was worn by Matt Barkley in a USC game.

DoctorLoomis
11-24-2013, 04:09 AM
Photos from each 2011 game. Note the wide open sleeves…….

DoctorLoomis
11-24-2013, 04:12 AM
A game photo from 2010…..note the tight sleeves….such as the offered jersey that could not have been worn in 2010.

DoctorLoomis
11-24-2013, 04:14 AM
Finally, attached are three photos from different games all showing the cropped elastic bottom that eliminated the size 44 patch.

DoctorLoomis
11-24-2013, 04:17 AM
i think we can all agree the offered jersey could not have been worn by Matt Barkley in 2011….the only year the patch style matches to. I think it is a "game issued" jersey that someone put the wrong patch on. Clearly not a game worn jersey.

BrianK
11-24-2013, 11:23 AM
I see your point clearly about the sleeves.
Here's a possible explanation. There were two #7 captains on the 2011 Trojans.
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/96/968178.jpg

Perhaps this is a jersey for T.J. McDonald. He usually wore a size 42, but I did found at least one photo showing size 44.

beachpetrol
11-24-2013, 12:03 PM
I see your point clearly about the sleeves.
Here's a possible explanation. There were two #7 captains on the 2011 Trojans.
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/96/968178.jpg

Perhaps this is a jersey for T.J. McDonald. He usually wore a size 42, but I did found at least one photo showing size 44.

Great photo. The size of the C on the 2010 photos and 2011 photos looks different as well.

BrianK
11-24-2013, 12:18 PM
T.J. McDonald Size 44. Versus UCLA, I think.
http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/article/media_slots/photos/000/530/089/hi-res-hi-res-134210513_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=410&q=85

Firststringer
11-24-2013, 12:29 PM
DoctorLoomis' photo research and deductible reasoning is 100% correct. Most assuredly Matt Barkely did NOT wear this jersey in any actual game during the 2011 season. The utter sloppiness by auction houses like MEARS never ceases to amaze me. To even state this jersey with a Pac-12 patch possibly could be attributed to 2010 is impossible since the Trojans wore Pac-10 patches that season. Furthermore, USC captains jerseys in 2011 for #7 Barkely and #7 TJ McDonald featured flag-tagging to denote cut with either "QB" or "S", although sleeve style, as pointed out in this thread, is the ultimate and easiest identifier.

tella27
12-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Looks like MEARS strikes again with their fabulous effort in doing their research on items they "authenticate". On another collecting forum (one they sponsor) they got called out on selling a fake Sandy Koufax signed ball - yes after being called out it was said they returned the buyers money but this was only after and not without multiple people calling them out.

I still feel that its a conflict of interest for MEARS to authenticate things that they sell and make money off of in their auctions. They have been found to have authenticate items that have been proven bad on multiple occasions. Troy from MEARS is even banned from this site..

DoctorLoomis
12-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Looks like MEARS strikes again with their fabulous effort in doing their research on items they "authenticate". On another collecting forum (one they sponsor) they got called out on selling a fake Sandy Koufax signed ball - yes after being called out it was said they returned the buyers money but this was only after and not without multiple people calling them out.

I still feel that its a conflict of interest for MEARS to authenticate things that they sell and make money off of in their auctions. They have been found to have authenticate items that have been proven bad on multiple occasions. Troy from MEARS is even banned from this site..

I find it sad and revealing that MEARS....facing iron clad irrefutable photo evidence that this was not a Matt Barkley game worn jersey....still auctioned it as such.

Phil316
12-01-2013, 11:19 PM
Did any of you email Troy? I am sure if you did he would respond.

Firststringer
12-02-2013, 08:40 AM
Yes, I emailed Troy pointing out the discrepancies and he was quick to respond by correcting the year (2011) and changing the item description to "jersey type issued to Matt Barkley". MEARS also added a notation stating "available images do not support on-field game wear". On this revised basis I feel it is a fair representation of the item and even though it was not game worn, the auction price justified the existence of what proved to be an authentic Barkley jersey - the first one to hit the open market - as 2002-present day USC jerseys are harder to find (and I was able to confirm solid provenance indicating this jersey was sourced directly from USC by someone with insider access).

ChrisCavalier
12-02-2013, 09:52 AM
Please note there is a incorrect statement in this thread. Troy has NOT been banned from GUU. I am not sure where that is coming from.

-Chris

tella27
12-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Don't be fooled - Its the same song and dance all the time with Troy and MEARS.. Once they get called out they act like this is something that never happens and they were quick to fix the problem. Truth is it happens all the time and they either know what they are trying to do or don't care - either if those should make someone think twice about buying their items.. MEARS is solely out to make as much money as they can and depend on people holding their name to a high standard and blindly buying what they say is game used. As we all know game used next to a title will bring more money and more interest to the auction. They in turn make more money. Sad thing about it is how much stuff gets through without someone calling them out..
Troy always acts like he is just blown away that something he's auctioning off isn't legit - it happens once yeah I could see it being a mistake but when it happens over and over and over its just a front. The people that believe its just a simple mistake are the people he's hoping bid - the ones that blindly and without question think MEARS is top tier.. Ask the guy that they sold a fake Sandy Koufax ball if he will buy from them again.. MEARS is no better than GAI when they were authenticating anything that came though the door.

tella27
12-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Please note there is a incorrect statement in this thread. Troy has NOT been banned from GUU. I am not sure where that is coming from.

-Chris

Sorry Chris I was going by what I was told before - that was the reason he would have to post through Joel.

earlywynnfan
12-02-2013, 12:43 PM
Don't be fooled - Its the same song and dance all the time with Troy and MEARS.. Once they get called out they act like this is something that never happens and they were quick to fix the problem. Truth is it happens all the time and they either know what they are trying to do or don't care - either if those should make someone think twice about buying their items.. MEARS is solely out to make as much money as they can and depend on people holding their name to a high standard and blindly buying what they say is game used. As we all know game used next to a title will bring more money and more interest to the auction. They in turn make more money. Sad thing about it is how much stuff gets through without someone calling them out..
Troy always acts like he is just blown away that something he's auctioning off isn't legit - it happens once yeah I could see it being a mistake but when it happens over and over and over its just a front. The people that believe its just a simple mistake are the people he's hoping bid - the ones that blindly and without question think MEARS is top tier.. Ask the guy that they sold a fake Sandy Koufax ball if he will buy from them again.. MEARS is no better than GAI when they were authenticating anything that came though the door.

This is absolutely NOT the experience I've had with Troy and MEARS. Yes, I'd love to find the high bidder on the Koufax ball and ask if he will bid again; since the ball was removed before the auction completed, they did not "sell" a fake Koufax ball.
Hey, Tella, do you have any first-hand dealings with Mears/Troy to share? Or are you just basing this on what you read on the internets?

Ken

Phil316
12-02-2013, 01:47 PM
I had an issue with a Jerry Rice gamer that Mears authenticated.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=57856&page=2

Although I stand by my findings Troy went above and beyond to try and prove his case. Even though we had a difference of opinions he was professional and not rude or anything like that. The only thing that

Goldin Auctions uses Mears to authenticate items as well.

It's not like Mears is Coaches Corner or anything like that.

Just like anything though the best authentication is yourself. Do the research and come to your own conclusion. Do not rely on other people's opinions as the final say.

tella27
12-02-2013, 04:56 PM
This is absolutely NOT the experience I've had with Troy and MEARS. Yes, I'd love to find the high bidder on the Koufax ball and ask if he will bid again; since the ball was removed before the auction completed, they did not "sell" a fake Koufax ball.
Hey, Tella, do you have any first-hand dealings with Mears/Troy to share? Or are you just basing this on what you read on the internets?

Ken

I do have first hand - I had purchased a Kobe Bryant jersey with DC paper work that said it was "issued" but looked like it was worn (snags and other things including a microphone pocket stitched on the inside). I contacted MEARS about looking it over and letting me know what they thought - wasn't sure if it was like MLB where they don't say game used unless they see it come off their back. I emailed Troy the info including what the LOA said and also spoke with him on the phone. I sent the jersey in to be authenticated and added to their auction. It was authenticated by MEARS' "experts" as being game used. It was listed on their site as game used, with a full detailed description of why it was found to be game used, for 8 days of a 10 day auction then the last 2 days it was changed to game issued. I wasn't called or notified of the change - I saw the change and called MEARS to find out why. I was told that a person called and questioned the jersey so they changed it. This after their team of "experts" with all their years of work found it to be game used. One person that calls in trumps their experts?? MEARS tried to let the auction run so they would make their money and when I called Troy himself tried to convince me that a game issued Bryant jersey would get close to the same amount and wanted me to let the auction run. This showed me that they are only out to make a buck. If it would have been found to be issued just like the DC loa said I wouldn't have had a problem with that finding but the fact that they just called it "Game Used" to make more on their 20%. With all the things they find to be game used just shows they are only about the money and not the hobby or collecting. They find things game used until they are called out - then its "oh one of the authenticators must have made a mistake". He's nice once he's called out because he wants you to believe this was a one time mistake