PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Bears vintage durene worn by multiple players in two years. Does this affect the value?

VERIS#60
11-26-2013, 12:16 PM
Hello, I recently purchased a 1973 Chicago Bears game used durene from eBay. The jersey was worn by Mike Reppond. After receiving the King O'shea jersey I noticed the numbers on the back had been moved down about 4 inches to make room for the nameplate. Also, on the left shoulder was visible signs of the stitching outline of the nfl patch worn during the 1969 season. The #1 on the front of the jersey is higher than the #8. This jersey has ten repairs and Reppond was a receiver only seeing action in two games. I looked at the Bears 1969 team photo on eBay and noticed what appears to be my jersey worn by Marty Amsler. I feel that is the answer to so many team repairs. Amsler was a defensive end and seen more action than Reppond. Sorry, I cannot post any photos. The jersey can be seen in the eBay completed auctions or you can email me at brucecaplinger@yahoo.com. I feel there is plenty evidence that both players wore this jersey. Does this affect the value in any way? Thanks for any information! Bruce

both-teams-played-hard
11-26-2013, 12:38 PM
You got a great deal on a great jersey! The added nameplate and number move were done by the team. I would enjoy the jersey and be less concerned with value!

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/6241/elh.JPG

VERIS#60
11-26-2013, 12:57 PM
Wow, that makes me feel even better about my.purchase! I was looking at it closer yesterday and noticed in the sunlight you could easily see the stitched outline of the NFL patch on the lefte shoulder. Then, the numbers on the back lowered. It was kind of odd the jersey was recycled four years later, but that must have happened from time to time. I love those 69 jerseys! Thanks!

VERIS#60
11-26-2013, 01:01 PM
You got a great deal on a great jersey! The added nameplate and number move were done by the team. I would enjoy the jersey and be less concerned with value!

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/6241/elh.JPG

Sorry, I forgot to add. Thanks for posting the picture of my jersey!

both-teams-played-hard
11-26-2013, 01:16 PM
I was looking at it closer yesterday and noticed in the sunlight you could easily see the stitched outline of the NFL patch on the lefte shoulder.

Don't be persuaded to restore the NFL patch. Leave it alone. A relic worn by 2 different players!

VERIS#60
11-26-2013, 01:50 PM
Yes, I agree to leave it alone. If I had my preference though, I would love to have an old Bears durene with that beautiful patch. But being worn four years apart too gives it good character. Thanks!

Samets
11-26-2013, 01:59 PM
It's an awesome jersey and as stated you should be a proud owner.

You were going against 2 vintage Bears collectors and it appears we gave up a little too soon! Only if the seller would have known what you typed up, I'm sure the bids would have been a bit higher... lol

Congratulations on a sweet vintage jersey!

VERIS#60
11-26-2013, 02:26 PM
It's an awesome jersey and as stated you should be a proud owner.

You were going against 2 vintage Bears collectors and it appears we gave up a little too soon! Only if the seller would have known what you typed up, I'm sure the bids would have been a bit higher... lol

Congratulations on a sweet vintage jersey!

You are so right. I always look close at jerseys I buy. I must have turned this jersey inside out over ten times and missed the left shoulder patch. Once the sunlight hit it just right it popped. In the eBay 1969 Bears photo you can see the patch clearly. Love seeing video of the 69 season and especially the Butkus jersey!

sox83cubs84
11-26-2013, 10:58 PM
Hello, I recently purchased a 1973 Chicago Bears game used durene from eBay. The jersey was worn by Mike Reppond. After receiving the King O'shea jersey I noticed the numbers on the back had been moved down about 4 inches to make room for the nameplate. Also, on the left shoulder was visible signs of the stitching outline of the nfl patch worn during the 1969 season. The #1 on the front of the jersey is higher than the #8. This jersey has ten repairs and Reppond was a receiver only seeing action in two games. I looked at the Bears 1969 team photo on eBay and noticed what appears to be my jersey worn by Marty Amsler. I feel that is the answer to so many team repairs. Amsler was a defensive end and seen more action than Reppond. Sorry, I cannot post any photos. The jersey can be seen in the eBay completed auctions or you can email me at brucecaplinger@yahoo.com. I feel there is plenty evidence that both players wore this jersey. Does this affect the value in any way? Thanks for any information! Bruce

Bruce:

Changes or not, that is one SHARP Bears gamer!

Dave Miedema

Anabolicollege17
11-26-2013, 11:11 PM
I think its amazing how the bears jersey fonts, and colors are still exactly the same to this day. Love bears jerseys with a passion. Great pick up man

VERIS#60
11-27-2013, 08:55 AM
Bruce:

Changes or not, that is one SHARP Bears gamer!

Dave Miedema

Thanks so much! My King O'Shea tag does not have the size on it. It doesn't look like any size was ever sewn in there. What does that mean if anything?

VERIS#60
11-27-2013, 08:58 AM
I think its amazing how the bears jersey fonts, and colors are still exactly the same to this day. Love bears jerseys with a passion. Great pick up man

Thanks for the kind words for my jersey! That is the one thing I said when I got this jersey. After all these years, the Bears never change their style. They simply have classic jerseys that will last forever. Thanks!

VERIS#60
11-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Another update on this jersey. I typed in Doug Atkins and was looking at some photos. I found a pic with him and two other players. I enlarged the photos and seen where the elbow pads were on the jersey. I then held my sleeves up to sunlight(snow light) and seen the zig zag stitching outline that held the pads in. My repairs on the right shoulder did not match the one in the photo. However, this would definitely mean the jersey is older than 1969. This jersey has so much character. The history behind it is fun to research!

VERIS#60
11-27-2013, 12:30 PM
As stated before, the #1 on the front of the jersey is a little higher than the #8. In looking at some of the team photos especially during Marty Amsler years, it appears to at least be a style match. Then, when I looked at the 1964 team photo, I found the same thing. Doug Atkins jersey looks a lot like mine. The #1 is slightly higher. Both numbers are offset to the left. The distance of the top of the numbers to the collar look real close. It is not a photo match, but a real close style match. Could this jersey have been thrown in a trunk and pulled out at a later date. It could be a possibility. I am searching as many photos as I can. Atkins is wearing a jersey where the #1 is very, very close to the collar in a lot of photos. However, the 1964 team photo looks very similar to mine. Who knows....just fun researching!

both-teams-played-hard
11-27-2013, 12:57 PM
Thanks so much! My King O'Shea tag does not have the size on it. It doesn't look like any size was ever sewn in there. What does that mean if anything?
Many pro-quality, King O'Shea jerseys had handwritten sizes in the blank space on the tag.

VERIS#60
11-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Many pro-quality, King O'Shea jerseys had handwritten sizes in the blank space on the tag.

You are very correct. I have also heard that a lot of jerseys in this time era sizes 48 and 50, were blank. If the size was ever written in, it faded. It shows lots of wash wear. I am 6'1" 205 lbs and this jersey floats on me. It is very long and even with the cut off sleeves, it goes past my elbows. I can only imagine how big this would have looked if they didn't cut the sleeves. Very interesting jersey!

Samets
11-27-2013, 01:57 PM
The style of tag that your jersey has with no size is the odd one since most mid 60's to very early 70's Bears jerseys I've personally seen seem to have the size stitched...

I'm in now way saying that your jersey is anything less than legit but it's my observation of a few dozen that I've seen.

Jeffredsfan
12-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Yes, both the seller (me) and the owner of the jersey, (my great friend of almost 40 years) would have loved to see more spirited bidding. LOL. Great to see the jersey found a happy home!

Jeff