PDA

View Full Version : Great Chat with Old GUU Member

EurekaDave
12-03-2013, 07:45 PM
No COA? No wash tag? Not always a problem.

Just got off the phone with GUU member Dan Rosquete of Boston. He's anattorney/sports agent now, and got started in the memorabilia business when Manny Ramirez sold him a ton of his old stuff.

Dan took some heat from collectors here for "doctored" collectibles. But I still stand up for him, and hope to hook up with him when I go to the Dominican Republic to see some baseball this December.

Point is --- some dealers really are stand-up folks. And I met him on this forum. Thanks.

Dave Silverbrand

nycpropain
12-03-2013, 10:31 PM
Isnt that the dude who lied and said he got handed a bat from Manny then changed his story when it came out it was altered?

Phil316
12-03-2013, 11:12 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/archive/index.php/t-39840.html

Interesting interview from October of this year to add some positive vibes.

http://www.sportsagentblog.com/2013/10/21/interview-with-the-agent-dan-rosquete/

Phil316
12-03-2013, 11:24 PM
I would like to personally state that after Manny got traded from Boston to LA, that winter I made contact with Manny's cousin in Florida. I bought several pieces of Manny's that he used and was issued to him during his career in both Boston and Cleveland.

Manny must have accumulated a lot of stuff lol.

EurekaDave
12-04-2013, 01:20 AM
All I said was that I enjoyed talking to the guy.

The funny thing is that we get all wound up about a doctored "Manolo" bat. And all the while Manny Ramirez was doctoring himself with PED's.

Remembered when Sammy Sosa stuff was hot? I've got a Sosa jersey I bought for $2500. I'll let you have it for half-price. I'll even throw in my timeshare in Sinkhole Estates, Florida

PAC
12-04-2013, 06:30 AM
The funny thing is that we get all wound up about a doctored "Manolo" bat. And all the while Manny Ramirez was doctoring himself with PED's.

So, it's ok to rip off fellow collectors, as long as cheating is alleged to have taken place in said professional sport.

Great morals, guy.

EurekaDave
12-04-2013, 09:51 AM
You missed the point, "guy."

All I am saying is that, I don't know the whole story on the Manolo bat because I wasn't there. I do know there are two sides to the story and I have now heard both. I'm reserving judgment on this one. That's all I am saying.

Manny tested positive with PED's. Case closed. We've all spent lots of money on collectibles of sports stars and expect the dealers to be honest. Some are. Some aren't. And some are "convicted" by hearsay. That ain't justice.

I just think it is ironic that we all go "ga ga" over players who turn out to be cheats. I totally trust the guy from whom I bought the Sosa jersey, for example. The player cheated, so it wound up being worthless anyway. I think that is darkly funny.

I prefer to celebrate the human experience of people I have met in sports collecting--rather than the material value of the jerseys I have bought over time.

So did Dan Rosquete cheat a collector? I don't know. But I enjoy associating with him. That's the point.

The other point is that I knew mentioning his name would get you guys all wound up again. That's fun for me. Mission accomplished.

Dave Silverbrand

PAC
12-04-2013, 11:46 AM
You missed the point, "guy."

All I am saying is that, I don't know the whole story on the Manolo bat because I wasn't there.

You didn't have to be there. You can read the original post and see your friend (who you refer to as a "stand-up person") himself clearly says he got the bat from a team employee 1 week before, then changes his story and says he got it directly from Manny Ramirez several months before. Not to mention the fact that he himself sent out pictures of a bat with no game use, then later sent out pictures of the same exact bat with magical "game use." What else do you need? That's not called heresay, that's called being caught red-handed. Maybe he didn't rip off anyone with that particular bat (all thanks to a savvy potential buyer), but he sure as hell tried to.

Obviously we have different definitions of "stand-up person."

EurekaDave
12-04-2013, 02:10 PM
I'll keep that Manny bat story in mind as I sip a Dominican rum drink while watching the Caribbean sunset.

Roady
12-04-2013, 02:17 PM
A mans word is all he has that cannot be tainted by anyone else. When he taints his own word he can never be trusted again.
Sip your rum and know that some people have higher standards for themselves.

Phil316
12-04-2013, 02:28 PM
I'll keep that Manny bat story in mind as I sip a Dominican rum drink while watching the Caribbean sunset.

This made me chuckle. Thanks Dave.

EricTheRed44
12-04-2013, 02:33 PM

What he failed to mention is he will be holding Dan in his arms... Gracing his face with his hand, telling him how much he trust him ;)

EurekaDave
12-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Other topics for GUU guilt or innocense discussion in the future. These people deserve (deserved) thoughtful discussion

1. Julius and Ethel Rosenburg
2. Lizzie Borden
3. John Dillinger
4. White Bulger
5. O.J. Simpson
6. Joran Van der Sloot
7. Bernie Madoff
8. A-rod
9. Charlie Sheen
10. Matt Lauer

Remember, a man's word is his bond -- forever. And that goes for Ethel Rosenburg, too.

Roady
12-04-2013, 02:55 PM
Didn't you think that on a board dedicated to game used collectors that bragging on man who tried to cheat fellow collectors may not go over so well?

And when you are questioned about your choice of words or your praise of this man you instantly get defensive and arrogant.

Maybe this thread says a lot more about you than it does him. Good to know.

EurekaDave
12-04-2013, 03:07 PM
I do think rudeness has become the norm on blogs and social media. That's my only point. It's just as true on this one, unfortunately.

Of course I have a choice to not be on here. I just decided to get you guys going because ---

1. I was bored
2. I know you guys like to dish on people

Doesn't mean I love Dan, the dealer. But he does have soft, dark and sensitive eyes.

Dave S.

Takuleechch
12-04-2013, 04:55 PM
The other point is that I knew mentioning his name would get you guys all wound up again. That's fun for me. Mission accomplished.

Baiting?
An obvious troll

EurekaDave
12-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Don't complain about car theft if you keep leaving your keys in the ignition.

Takuleechch
12-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Don't complain about car theft if you keep leaving your keys in the ignition.

Ummmm don't get it. that's still theft

metsbats
12-04-2013, 05:58 PM
Closing this thread now.

Not much value add here