PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Baseballs...

xpress34
12-03-2013, 10:06 PM
So, the Rockies got creative at their Black Friday sale... not only did they offer 33.3% off at their Dug Out Stores (excluding Game Used, Collectible and Autographed items), they had a 'gift w/ $50 purchase'...

The 'gift'? MLB Authenticated Rockies 20th Anniversary Baseballs from The Humidor! They came directly out of the Humidor, so they are game balls that were waiting to be grabbed, mudded and put into play.

Obviously the Rockies can't use these balls for games next year (I suppose they could be used for BP) and they didn't say how many there were available (I'm guessing a few dozen or so) but they have changed their 'gift w/ purchase' item already, so I am guessing the balls are all gone.

The MLB #'s aren't in the system yet - EK 888495, EK 888498 - and the site only has info up to EK 888357 currently (items from Todd Helton after the season).

Just thought they were an interesting collectible from a very debated piece of baseball - the Coors Field Humidor.

All the best -

Smitty

tony433433
12-04-2013, 12:11 PM
That is an AWESOME gift. I was lucky enough to snag one of those balls on my first (and lone) trip out to Coors this year - they are a BEAUTIFUL ball. This gift is much better than the cheap Twins-logo cheap Rawlings glove that was given away at the Twins first Club House Sale last year - so cheap.

Smitty -
I know that you have taken care of one of my ex-Twins already (Cuddy), now could you please give the fountain of youth to your newest Rockie/ex-Twin, Justin Morneau? He is a great guy and I hope the thin air can bring some pop back into his bat.

PS: Know anyone who I can talk to in order to secure the Trevor Plouffe nameplate that will surely be up for sale in 2014 after the Twins visit?

xpress34
12-08-2013, 03:12 AM
So, the Humidor Ball Holograms are updated on MLB Authrntication. Unfortunately, they only list them as 'Team Issued Baseballs'. No reference to the Humidor which kind of sucks.

Hologram number EK888498 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under TEAM ISSUED BASEBALL.
Session Product Description:
Session Name: COLORADO ROCKIES AUTHENTICATION
Session Date: November 11, 2013
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.

That said, I audited the numbers. The Team Issue Baseballs (Humidor Balls) start at EK 888373 and go to EK 888552 - so 179 balls or just under 15 dozen (1 ball shy).

I still find that to be somewhat scarce considering the number of Game Used Balls each team makes available yearly now.

All the best -

Smitty

tony433433
12-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Smitty,

Have you ever seen the humidor in person and do they ever show it (or get close to it) in any of the tours?

xpress34
12-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Smitty,

Have you ever seen the humidor in person and do they ever show it (or get close to it) in any of the tours?

Tony -

Yes I have. They actually show it off during Rockies Fest (I'm not sure about the tours) and you can actually go into it.

Pics attached.

- Smitty