X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cfern023
    • Aug 2012

Help with Mike Piazza Game Used Bat?

Hey Fella's,
    I feel I need a little help a bat I got for my collection.

I Was lucky enough to stumble upon the bat here locally in Miami, and got a decent enough deal for it where I felt okay taking the gamble. My hope is that it's from his 5 Game Stint for the Marlins (it WAS found in Miami) or atleast from his 1998 Season, I'd settle if it was used in any season though!

I'm not sure if the 8 Stamped in the bottom of the Mizuno bat means anything, but I think it means it was made in 1998... am I correct?

And before anyone asks, I'm a big Piazza fan- and a Marlins fan- since Opening Day 1993. I'm also a bit of a Mets fan because of my grandfather since I was born, so..... I'm a mess. Lets just say 2007 and 2008 were bittersweet.

• cfern023
    • Aug 2012

Re: Help with Mike Piazza Game Used Bat?

By the way, all pics will take you to a larger photo.

Comment

• Hoosier39
      • Jul 2013

Just looking at the last two photos, anytime you find a bat with a blacked out knob, regardless if the number is correct, is a red flag. I would guess the number underneath is the number you see at the barrel end.

Comment

• cfern023
        • Aug 2012

The number on the Barrel end is 31 though. I've seen one other bat with the blacked out knob.... I believe it's MetsFans or MetsBats on the forum.

Comment

• Hoosier39
          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by cfern023
          The number on the Barrel end is 31 though. I've seen one other bat with the blacked out knob.... I believe it's MetsFans or MetsBats on the forum.
          Ah I guess it is. Looking at the small pic it looks like a different number,

Comment

• cfern023
            • Aug 2012

Yeah, I don't know why I can't edit the original post to say that they are clickable.

The pic above is "MetsBats" Piazza collection. His knob looks to be in the same penmanship as mine as well.

Hopefully he can chime in on the bat.

Comment

• TNTtoys
              • Aug 2006

Hi Chris,

The bat is definitely a Dodgers bat. The "World Win" labeling on Mizuno bats ended in 1997. 1998 and on had "Mizuno Pro" on the barrel instead.

David (metsbats) can probably tell you a little more about this one.

Nick
              Looking for ...
              Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
              Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
              Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Comment

• cfern023
                • Aug 2012

Well,
                Now I dont want the bat anymore .

I need a May 1998 bat or bust!

Thanks TNT for your help, I appreciate it. I'm sure between both yourself and MetsBats any bat/jersey can be figured out.

A Dodgers bat isn't bad though, he had some of the greatest seasons ever for a catcher in their uniform.

Is there any significance to the 8 stamp on the knob?

Comment

• cfern023
                  • Aug 2012

Anyone else have any Piazza bats they can post to compare?

Comment

• metsbats
                    • Nov 2005

I just saw this post and will post later after looking at your bat more in detail. I do agree with Nick that it's definitely a Dodgers bat.
                    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• metsbats
                      • Nov 2005

This is my Jose Canseco model Mizuno used by Mike Piazza either during the 1992 or 1993 (most likely 1993) season. He used Canseco model bats prior to getting his own Mizuno model bats.

This has a "7" stamped on the knob (where as yours has an "8") which is not the year indicator.

I think your bat is a 1992 and I 'm guessing the blackened knob with "31" overwritten was due to Mike number changing from "25" to "31" in 1993.

I also have an early 1992-93 Piazza Louisville slugger gamer with the blackened knob and "31" written in silver.
                      Attached Files
                      metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• metsbats
                        • Nov 2005

I just called Mizuno USA and will email photos of these bats to them. They were very helpful and the person I spoke to said he will try to find out any info on these numbers stamped on the knobs.
                        metsbats86@aol.com

Comment

• cfern023
                          • Aug 2012

MetsBats,
                          I can't thank you enough for your help so far. In full disclosure one other member mentioned the use of Mota Stick vs Pine Tar. Does this bat have Mikes Characteristics?

I appreciate you contacting Mizuno, hopefully they can shed some light on the bat.

Do you believe the bat is from 92-93? The other member mentioned it may be from 95-97.

Thanks,
                          Chris

Comment

• metsbats
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by cfern023
                            MetsBats,
                            I can't thank you enough for your help so far. In full disclosure one other member mentioned the use of Mota Stick vs Pine Tar. Does this bat have Mikes Characteristics?

I appreciate you contacting Mizuno, hopefully they can shed some light on the bat.

Do you believe the bat is from 92-93? The other member mentioned it may be from 95-97.

Thanks,
                            Chris
                            Chris,

The labeling period may extend to 1997 however I'm saying 92-93 because of the blackened knob with 31 written over it ( remember Mike switched from no. 25 his rookie year in 92 to 31 in 1993). That would be the best case because if the bat is really post 93 - 97 then the blackened knob may have indicated some other player used the bat and someone put back Mike's no. 31 over it. I didn't look at the use characteristics on your bat yet but can check it out.

David
                            metsbats86@aol.com

Comment

• bgold
                              • Mar 2013

David, looks like mota on the handle and no usual Piazza pine-tar up the handle for this bat, although lots of cleat marks. It had me thinking, did someone else use this bat or did Piazza exhibit these characteristics early in his career?

Comment

Working...