PDA

View Full Version : Robinson Cano thread

KGoldin
12-06-2013, 11:26 AM
$240 million for ten years from SEATTLE
Ryan Howard, Arod, Pujols, ...don't the teams learn about giving 10 year deals to 30+ year olds?

Whats your prediction on decline in game used value for his items assuming he passes physical and no last second snags?

and I feel sorry for some friends who I know who have a ton of his Yankee game used...as well as myself where he is a keeper on my fantasy team :(

yankees506
12-06-2013, 11:40 AM
I have no idea, all i know is his yankee stuff was insanely priced, i cant see his stuff commanding a yankee-esque premium in seattle. Im guessing most will be taking a bath if resale happens.

BernBabyBern
12-06-2013, 11:44 AM
If he keeps up with good numbers, do you think his rookie items will maintain some value but everything else will decline? Or will all his items decline?

yankees506
12-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Pablo, his yankee rookie stuff was commanding such a premium because we all assumed he was going to be a yankee for life and go down as the best second baseman in yankee history. Owning a rookie item of the greatest yankee second baseman is what we all wanted, now what do we have? just another players rookie item, the mystique is suddenly gone.

KGoldin
12-06-2013, 11:51 AM
I prefer to let others answer before I chime in. Obviously I have a lot of experience with his items and don't want to influence opinions.
Without insulting our friends on the west coast, I really think the Yankees would have gone to 8 years 200 million, and if cano was playing well he could have continued playing after that. What is winning worth? What is marketing worth. Your agent is Jay-Z and you leave the biggest market in the world to one of the smallest if not the smallest in baseball. isn't Jay -Z supposed to create all sorts of marketing value?

Will Seattle win 1 world series or contend during his entire tenure there? Will they move the fences in for him?

yankees506
12-06-2013, 12:15 PM
Now batting for the mariners #22 RRRRRRRRRRRobinson cano!!!!!!! barf

dplettn
12-06-2013, 12:24 PM
I don't know much about our hobby's popularity in Seattle, but obviously the (how much) smaller group of excited new fans he gains isn't after stuff with a Yankee logo on it. Over time, I think Cano did enough in New York that Yankee collectors will fully embrace having his stuff again. But in the near term, a Yankee jersey/bat/hat is not exactly in high demand.

Just my two cents, of course. Which is still far less valuable than anything and everything of Cano is worth.

Always looking for Votto and Cincinnati Bengals items: plettner at fuse dot net

emann
12-06-2013, 12:29 PM
His game used items will take a drop relative to my Ellsbury Sox gamers... ;)

I'd think that the crazy prices on bats are gone. 5K for a rookie gamer, etc... Those were loyal Yankee fans bidding those things up, let's see if Mariners fans care. I think in 5 years, as he breaks down, few people are going to care...

To me, his sure-fire HOF reputation just took a huge hit. I think he's still got a few years of being a great player, just in a market nobody cares about and without the NY fanbase that helped make him a superstar.

metsbats
12-06-2013, 01:05 PM
I think his Yankee items would decrease short term as folks would try to unload his stuff now with the idea of minimizing loss. However they may eventually increase in value if he continues on his current pace and eventually gets into the HOF as Yankee items alway bring in premiums.

As an aside look at Ichiro. He had an amazing run in Seattle and put up all of his HOF numbers there. So if Cano continues to be the best second baseman in baseball while in Seattle and eventually surpasses the likes of Joe Morgan, Ryne Sandberg, Jeff Kent,etc in numbers his stuff will continue to be up in value.

Who knows he 's in Seattle now but in a couple of years if the team does not win any champonships and continues to be at the bottom of the standings he could be traded back to the Yankees or one of the larger market teams that can afford to pick up his large contract.

metsbats
12-06-2013, 01:08 PM
I have to say (and i'm not a Yankee fan) that I would have taken less to stay with the Yankees. Unfortunately he went for the highest dollars and not the intangibles and potential future championships which come with playing for the Yankees. That to me is the saddest part and unfortunately money is a larger motivator than anything else.

bgold
12-06-2013, 02:21 PM
To be transparent, I'm a Mets fan (duh) and I find this all amusing (sorry), but I'm very happy the Mets signed David Wright to an extension before he hit free agency. If he'd hit the open market he would have gotten significantly more.

My take on all of this is, what's the point in firing Boras if you end up with a Boras type contact, both money and bad location? Wasn't Jay Z supposed to get Cano paid AND keep a Yankee's cap on his head, I thought that was the whole point, to market Cano as a NYY...

Although I'll say this, Jacoby Ellsbury isn't on the same level of Robinson Cano as a baseball player. One plays the outfield, the other a premium position, one leads off, the other hits 3rd or cleanup (I could go on and on and I haven't even talked about basic stats) yet the Yankees paid Ellsbury handsomely, a player who came over from the Red Sox, yet offered their own home grown probable hall of famer just a slightly larger contract. That tells me the Yankees weren't wholly concerned in keeping Cano, which I guess really irked him and led him to say screw it, I'm taking the money.

It's a two way street fellas...

metsbats
12-06-2013, 02:25 PM
To be transparent, I'm a Mets fan (duh) and I find this all amusing (sorry), but I'm very happy the Mets signed David Wright to an extension before he hit free agency. If he'd hit the open market he would have gotten significantly more.

My take on all of this is, what's the point in firing Boras if you end up with a Boras type contact, both money and bad location? Wasn't Jay Z supposed to get Cano paid AND keep a Yankee's cap on his head, I thought that was the whole point, to market Cano as a NYY...

Although I'll say this, Jacoby Ellsbury isn't on the same level of Robinson Cano as a baseball player. One plays the outfield, the other a premium position, one leads off, the other hits 3rd or cleanup (I could go on and on and I haven't even talked about basic stats) yet the Yankees paid Ellsbury handsomely, a player who came over from the Red Sox, yet offered their own home grown probable hall of famer just a slightly larger contract. That tells me the Yankees weren't wholly concerned in keeping Cano, which I guess really irked him and led him to say screw it, I'm taking the money.

It's a two way street fellas...

Pride trumped Tradition.

emann
12-06-2013, 04:09 PM

Right, I don't think anyone is arguing that Ellsbury is nowhere near the same ballpark as Cano. I still can't figure out why the Yankees wanted him on those terms (aside from "stealing" a 2-time Sox WS champion).

I think Cano seriously pissed off the Yankees and they decided he was expendable. I'm sure they've known for a few months that he wouldn't consider a hometown discount and was looking for a serious overpay to stay in NYC. Can't wait until he gets dollar bills thrown at him in his return to Yankee Stadium...

dangerzone79
12-06-2013, 07:37 PM
Reason number 5,687 why I love baseball. I, like many people, was sure of 1 thing this offseason... that Cano would remain a Yankee. I'm a Red Sox fan & while part of me loves having him gone because of how incredible he was both with the glove & the bat, part of me is sad to see one of the greats turn his back for lack of a better term on his team & fan base. It's gotta be hard to walk away from being a Yankee legend. He must have his reasons. But to answer the original question, yes, I believe his items will go down in cost because as someone already mentioned, the Yankee mystique is gone. In an instant. Any Yankee fans wanna swap an Ellsbury bat for a Cano bat? Hahaha

bobsis24
12-06-2013, 09:30 PM
From the point of view of a buyer, as a Yankee fan a Cano bat was next on my list. But I intentionally put it off until his free agency was resolved and he re-signed with the Yanks.

Needless to say, it's not on my list any more.

Bob

Birdbats
12-06-2013, 10:56 PM
I think what happened with Pujols could be an indicator of what might happen with Cano. Similar situations (superstar, beloved player on an iconic team spurns his fans for west coast and $240M/10 yr. contract, gets replaced by Beltran). Pujols' items took an immediate hit when he left St. Louis for LA -- not severe, but noticeable. Then he played poorly in LA and values dropped even more. Bats that were $3K two years ago can be had for half that much today. Much depends on how Cano does in Seattle. If he puts up MVP numbers, the value decline might not be as great (I hope he does -- he's one of my fantasy keepers, too). But, there definitely will be a drop in values.

ferro39
12-06-2013, 11:05 PM
his #'s will surely take a hit, which will lead to nosediving prices, imo. it might not happen overnight, but i think that it will happen

no more short porch and no more lineup protection (at least for the foreseeable future).

Phil316
12-06-2013, 11:27 PM
Cano's numbers will drop playing at Safeco no doubt. At least his power numbers. No matter how much they move that fence in it is just the way it is in the moist Seattle air.

bgold
12-07-2013, 12:05 AM
Cano's numbers will drop playing at Safeco no doubt. At least his power numbers. No matter how much they move that fence in it is just the way it is in the moist Seattle air.

Home and away splits for 2013 are interesting, just 11 of 27 Cano's home runs were at Yankee stadium, was not expecting that. Also, read that Cano has the highest lifetime BA at Safeco Field besides for Ichiro, min 150 at bats.

ferro39
12-07-2013, 12:30 AM
but playing with the yankees, though.

no disrespect to justin smoak or kyle seager, but they arent going to afford him the same protection

Nnunnari
12-08-2013, 01:34 AM
His stuff began selling at insane prices. If everything works out perfect the rest of the way, he may reach 3,000 and 500, maybe, but nothing to justify $3k-$5k bat values especially with possibly 10 more years worth of inventory available to the market.
He will need to do something spectacular i.e. batting .400 or Triple Crown for his bats to even get back to $2k. I'm assuming you'll be able to get your hands on his gamers for under $1k for the next 7-8 yrs until he starts approaching some milestones.

Hoosier39
12-08-2013, 10:41 AM
He needs to avg about 150 hits for the next 9 yrs(went until he's 40).

Then, in those yrs he would have to avg a little over 30 hr's each yr for 500. Both will be tough but I think 3,000 is more realistic.

Phil316
12-08-2013, 02:16 PM
I posted this on the other Cano thread. So much crap is coming out about the Mariners front office.

http://seattletimes.com/html/mariners/2022420240_mariners08xml.html#.UqP2PBEV2Rx.twitter

yankees506
12-12-2013, 04:19 PM
looks strange to my eyes, guess he does not have to shave anymore :o

Phil316
12-12-2013, 04:37 PM
Cano press conference 3 pm Pacific time.

BernBabyBern
01-10-2014, 11:21 AM
I too picked up various Cano items with no intent to profit from them. But Robbie really disappointed me and other Yankee fans.
I know I won't get close to those Yankee premium prices.
But, selling a few nice bats (all signed). 2008 HR bat and a 2010 hammered SSK bat with MLB auth hologram. Heck I even have a photomatched 2005 Rawlings with Elite Cano signed LOA.
Also a 2012 road game used jersey and pants. Steiner and MLB auth. Jersey has been photomatched to 9/30/12. Cano had hits in this game.
Any reasonable offer will be considered.

Feel free to e-mail if interested.

Thanks,
Pablo
mikeapno1@yahoo.com