PDA

View Full Version : Sellers Ending Auction Early And Selling Outside Of Ebay

3arod13
12-11-2013, 10:15 AM
I know there have been discussions about this, but it is so frustrating when you're following something you want bad for your collection, and you then see those words you hate to see "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available."

So freaking frustrating!!!

Hoshal13
12-11-2013, 10:39 AM
I know there have been discussions about this, but it is so frustrating when you're following something you want bad for your collection, and you then see those words you hate to see "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available."

So freaking frustrating!!!

Josportco liked to do that a lot. As a seller I also hate getting messages asking how much I'd take for an item. Bid on the damn thing if they want it.

3arod13
12-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Josportco liked to do that a lot. As a seller I also hate getting messages asking how much I'd take for an item. Bid on the damn thing if they want it.

There have been many opinions on this. I'm just blowing off steam right now.

yankees24
12-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Who was this seller, so we can stay away in the future?

3arod13
12-11-2013, 10:59 AM

Prefer to leave it as it. Just frustrating!

bgold
12-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Prefer to leave it as it. Just frustrating!

The Arod HR bat? You aren't the only one...

3arod13
12-11-2013, 11:14 AM
The Arod HR bat? You aren't the only one...

Bingo!

yankees506
12-11-2013, 11:49 AM
Seller is a member on here and a great guy tony: d2ray, you should drop him an email I'm pretty sure he has a lot more cool arod stuff.

3arod13
12-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Seller is a member on here and a great guy tony: d2ray, you should drop him an email I'm pretty sure he has a lot more cool arod stuff.

Already in contact with him. Thanks!

3arod13
12-11-2013, 12:01 PM

Like many, I don't care for ebay fees either. But it does open up more opportunity to get more exposure for our items and to sell to a larger audience. If not for ebay, I wouldn't sell that much in the Virginia area alone.

I would prefer sellers not use ebay as a tool to get their item out there to a larger audience, with the intent to not let the auction go to its end. And it's unfair to wave the item in front of our drooling faces, then to only pull it out from under us.

With that being said, let me end this. I'm wiping away the tears and moving on! :rolleyes:

jeffaary
12-11-2013, 02:19 PM
I'm not a fan of buyers or sellers that conduct back door business on Ebay, and I know from personal experience that we have both on this board. I don't understand why a seller would do that anyway. If you accept an offer, how do you know the item wouldn't have brought more if the auction went to the end? If someone made me a big offer that was as much or more as I was hoping to get for the item, why not set that offer as the reserve price and see if someone else (including the person making the offer) would top it?

ousooner_85
12-11-2013, 02:48 PM
This is something that frustrates me from time to time. Although there was an instance on an item that I said to myself....."self if you can't beat them, join them" I made an offer and the seller accepted.

My motivation for doing this was I knew if a certain eBay member saw the item he would do the same thing or buy it regardless of the price. It was an instance where my only chance of getting what I considered a rare piece in my niche was to make an outside offer.

I assume there could have been the rare instance where the guy I'm talking about didn't see it and bid but that would be the first time, he wins 99% of everything he bids on that I'm watching.

Roady
12-11-2013, 03:01 PM
I don't care what sellers or buyers do. It's the sellers item and he can do what he wants with it. None of my business. It only upsets me when I win it and get a refund because he sells it for more to someone else. That upsets me because I think of it as a handshake and I don't like anyone who will break their word. It's more about principle than it is the item.

If I miss an item because the seller removed it from Ebay I just chalk it up to it wasn't meant to be and move on. When I am dead I doubt if that item that got away will matter much. :)

toddhead
12-11-2013, 03:31 PM
I would recommend writing the seller and letting him/her know you plan on bidding or asking for a head's up if someone makes an offer that would cause him/her to end the auction early.

paul457
12-11-2013, 03:43 PM

So I'm going to open up a can of worms here... but why would you 'stay away' from someone because they got a serious offer and sold an item instead of waiting the auction out?

As someone who sells on eBay, I can tell you its a complete joke, and I can safely say it's almost not worth the headache. If nothing else I see it as an advertising tool. If someone is ready to pay and meets my magic number, I'll pull an auction every time vs. waiting for it to end. I am not ashamed to admit that.

This hobby is one where people's wants / needs are very unique, and what's hot today is worthless tomorrow (and it can literally happen that fast). If you miss an opportunity to sell something, you may not get another chance to sell it.

As the old saying goes, 'a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush'.

COWBOYS4EVR
12-11-2013, 03:45 PM
I Cant Complain, Ive Had Jo And Others End Early For Something
I've Wanted. Ebay Is A Buisness For Sellers An If You Dont Catch The Train, You Get Ran Over..........

My Hate Of Ebay Sellers, Is When They List An Item At A Fixed Price. Then After An Hour And 10 Watchers Later The Price Has Jumped Almost Double.

yanks12025
12-11-2013, 03:48 PM
Trying to sell items on eBay or even this forum is a joke. I can never find buyers. I always list things with best offer, yet no one ever makes a offer. Then I'll finally sell something and the buyer turns around and is able to sell it for hundreds more

paul457
12-11-2013, 03:48 PM
It only upsets me when I win it and get a refund because he sells it for more to someone else. That upsets me because I think of it as a handshake and I don't like anyone who will break their word. It's more about principle than it is the item.

That's just a crappy thing to do, once the auction is over the agreement should be honored.

cohibasmoker
12-11-2013, 03:50 PM
I don't care what sellers or buyers do. It's the sellers item and he can do what he wants with it. None of my business. It only upsets me when I win it and get a refund because he sells it for more to someone else. That upsets me because I think of it as a handshake and I don't like anyone who will break their word. It's more about principle than it is the item.

If I miss an item because the seller removed it from Ebay I just chalk it up to it wasn't meant to be and move on. When I am dead I doubt if that item that got away will matter much. :)

If possible, I'll end an auction early if I know the other person and have done business with them in the past. Sometimes, I'll even pick up the postage.

Speaking of postage, it's getting more and more expensive to ship an item - especially with insurance. I'm finding that FedEx is less expensive than USPS but USPS is far and away faster than FedEx.

Jim

paul457
12-11-2013, 03:51 PM
Trying to sell items on eBay or even this forum is a joke. I can never find buyers. I always list things with best offer, yet no one ever makes a offer. Then I'll finally sell something and the buyer turns around and is able to sell it for hundreds more

Same here.

Ever notice when you want something, you pay twice what it's worth because you're in a bidding ware with 30 bidders... but then when you turn around a week later and sell that same item, you get half of your money back?

Shill bidding anyone??

3arod13
12-11-2013, 03:52 PM
There will always be differences of opinions on this issue. Ebay has rules, just like GUU, and people still try to find ways to work around them. Unfortunately, we are all different and people want to do what they want to do; especially if they gain from it.

I was mostly expressing my frustration about any seller who does this.

But I can say, Ebay sees it only one way. Don't list it, using their services to get it out there, then sell it outside of ebay.

ChiGuy1
12-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Most people have no integrity anymore. I have taken a best offer, then hours later received an offer for double the price, but took the first offer that I accepted. eBay doesn't care about anyone but them$elve$ anyways.

MLB~NUT
12-11-2013, 06:49 PM
I like it, sometimes Ive been lucky enough to pickup a few items before auction ended!:D Other times I was just asked to bid, and usually won the item for less than I offered to get it early!:p

HawaiiSportsNut
12-11-2013, 08:01 PM
It always happens to me with memorabilia of Hawaii born athletes. I am either watching the item or place a low bid on it. Sometimes it can be a few hours, but most times it disappears within a day or two. A few months back I placed a low bid on a Joey Meyers bat. The auction was ended within a few hours, so I wrote to the seller. He said that someone offered him $75 for the bat so he ended it early. I told him that I was willing to bid over $100 for the bat. He wrote back & said that he would sell it to me for $100. I asked him what about the other buyer, he said that he was going to tell him/her that he changed his mind about selling it. I immediately wrote back to the sell & told him that I changed my mind about buying the bat. I did not want to deal with a seller like him.

tella27
12-11-2013, 08:25 PM
eBay has changed their policy - now if there are bids on an item and its ended early the seller has to pay the fees on what ever the high bid was at.

I sometimes will reach out to a seller and see if there is an acceptable amount they'd take for the item. eBay hammers you for 11% and the Paypal for 3.5% - most times you can come to a price that works for both parties.

Roady
12-11-2013, 09:34 PM
That's just a crappy thing to do, once the auction is over the agreement should be honored.
It has happened to me twice.

Nnunnari
12-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Hey Tony- shoot me an email.

Thanks,

3arod13
12-16-2013, 03:32 PM
Hey Tony- shoot me an email.

Thanks,

Email sent!

3arod13
12-16-2013, 06:54 PM
Email sent!

Thanks!

Takuleechch
12-16-2013, 09:47 PM
You know what really grinds my gears...when you message someone asking them not to end the auction early without letting you know first cause you're very interested and then They say yes....and they end it early without telling you

cohibasmoker
12-17-2013, 06:56 AM
Perhaps a Seller can sell themselves short by ending an auction early and the Buyer can get a good deal?

Jim

3arod13
12-17-2013, 08:28 AM
I actually like and use the "Buy it Now, Make an Offer" option. Most of the time, it works out well for both.

sox83cubs84
12-17-2013, 03:27 PM
I actually like and use the "Buy it Now, Make an Offer" option. Most of the time, it works out well for both.

It just did for me. I was scanning an item offered for a BIN/MAO of $9.99. I offered $6, and the transaction was approved by the seller. I get a good percentage of positive responses with the Make an Offer feature.

Dave Miedema

3arod13
12-17-2013, 06:51 PM
It just did for me. I was scanning an item offered for a BIN/MAO of $9.99. I offered $6, and the transaction was approved by the seller. I get a good percentage of positive responses with the Make an Offer feature.

Dave Miedema

As a seller, I like it. And if someone emails me asking to sell it offline, I just tell them to make the offer and I'll accept. I pretty much know what I want for my items I sell, so it's simple.

Samets
12-17-2013, 10:30 PM
Personally feel bad for the sellers that can't for the life of them sell an item.

There's this Hester that I keep seeing being re-listed over and over:

Ended November 18th for $1,448 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-Game-Worn-Devin-Hester-Jersey-Autographed-Signed-Nfl-Chicago-Bears-/400608751851?hash=item5d462470eb)

Re-listed and ended December 4th for $1,060 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/400618167460?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649)

It's back again for the 3rd round! (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-Game-Worn-Devin-Hester-Jersey-Autographed-Signed-Nfl-Chicago-Bears/400628082236?_trksid=p2047675.m1985&_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.CURRENT%26ao%3 D1%26asc%3D13%26meid%3D3475710599785803157%26pid%3 D100012%26prg%3D1014%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D400 618167460%26)

:eek:

ousooner_85
12-18-2013, 09:10 AM
Personally feel bad for the sellers that can't for the life of them sell an item.

There's this Hester that I keep seeing being re-listed over and over:

Ended November 18th for $1,448 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-Game-Worn-Devin-Hester-Jersey-Autographed-Signed-Nfl-Chicago-Bears-/400608751851?hash=item5d462470eb)

Re-listed and ended December 4th for $1,060 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/400618167460?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649)

It's back again for the 3rd round! (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-Game-Worn-Devin-Hester-Jersey-Autographed-Signed-Nfl-Chicago-Bears/400628082236?_trksid=p2047675.m1985&_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.CURRENT%26ao%3 D1%26asc%3D13%26meid%3D3475710599785803157%26pid%3 D100012%26prg%3D1014%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D400 618167460%26)

:eek:

The situation above bothers me the most when using eBay. The same person won the jersey both times (I'm assuming a fake account by the seller for shill bidding). Just list the dang thing with a BIN/Best Offer and get on down the road.

paul457
12-18-2013, 10:33 AM
The situation above bothers me the most when using eBay. The same person won the jersey both times (I'm assuming a fake account by the seller for shill bidding). Just list the dang thing with a BIN/Best Offer and get on down the road.

Here's what I've noticed with eBay, and the buying options:

If you put up a reasonable BIN price, everyone perceives it to be overpriced. Think of it like walking into Wal-Mart and paying the sticker price for something. No one wants to pay sticker, they want a deal.

So then you use the BIN with 'best offer' to sell your item - then no one makes an offer because they think your BIN price is unreasonable. Or they make an offer of 1/8 your BIN price, and don't play ball when you counter-offer back.

So then you're at the mercy of bidding - and if you have 20 watchers of your item, you might have 1-2 bidders.... with 18-19 window shoppers. So you either take a bath by using a really low opening bid, or put in a high opening bid, and then no one bids...

Sorry to rant, but I'm going through this now on eBay with a few of my jerseys. For example - I have a Red Sox jersey for sale - it sold ~ 2 weeks after the WS ended, and this dude strung me along for two weeks after the sale, saying he was going to pay... and then ultimately didn't pay. THEN a week later, he decided he had cash to cover 80% of the the actual selling price, and tried to beat me down even further!! Unbelievable.

So then I listed the jersey again, someone bought it, and again decided not to pay...

So now I've listed the jersey 5-6 times, 2 sales, and it's up for sale again. People see this activity on the completed listings, and probably think the jersey is garbage. Now I just have to pull the listing and wait for 3-6 months before I sell it - people won't touch it now with a 10' pole.

Another recent example - I have an issued Pro Bowl jersey for sale, someone made an offer, I accepted it. Then about 5 minutes later I get an email saying 'my son used my account to buy me a Christmas present, and he thought this was a game used jersey. Sorry, please cancel the transaction'. :rolleyes:

For high dollar items, eBay is a joke.

NEFAN
12-18-2013, 03:22 PM
I'm not a fan of buyers or sellers that conduct back door business on Ebay, and I know from personal experience that we have both on this board. I don't understand why a seller would do that anyway. If you accept an offer, how do you know the item wouldn't have brought more if the auction went to the end? If someone made me a big offer that was as much or more as I was hoping to get for the item, why not set that offer as the reserve price and see if someone else (including the person making the offer) would top it?

I have done this before, but, I was offered $250 for an item I was hoping to get $60 for. No way it would have reached that and nobody had bid on it yet.

Roady
12-18-2013, 03:42 PM
How about sellers who allow a best offer but never respond to offers by declining or making a counter offer?
If you are not willing to take more than $10 off what you have a BIN for then why allow offers?

Or the sellers who respond to an offer by declining it and leaving a note about how you should offer more? No, the seller should counter offer.
I always offer less than I am willing to give. I can always go up if I want.
I have walked away from sellers who thought they were so hurt by my offer that they would not even counter offer when I probably would have given them what they wanted. Not worth the hassle to deal with someone so emotional and who gives off a sense of victimization.

Samets
12-18-2013, 03:56 PM

Or the sellers who respond to an offer by declining it and leaving a note about how you should offer more? No, the seller should counter offer.
I always offer less than I am willing to give. I can always go up if I want.
I have walked away from sellers who thought they were so hurt by my offer that they would not even counter offer when I probably would have given them what they wanted. Not worth the hassle to deal with someone so emotional and who gives off a sense of victimization.

I agree 100% If you are not willing to entertain offers don't use the option or at least set your threshold so the buyer will get auto decline.