PDA

View Full Version : If your collection was gone tomorrow...

RMoody
12-13-2013, 09:44 PM
So I had a business partner over and we go over a quick view of my "man- seum" as I like to call it.

Now for alot of reasons - privacy , security, insane opinions I've heard in the past, I don't show many people my collection. I've been told I waste all my money, I'm gay (because I collect men's used clothing?) and my favorite "all this could be fake you know".

So after we go though everything, the guy looks over and asked how long all this took. Told him years but its a labor of love that's fun and always changing. Then comes the question I've never been asked.

"If it was all gone tomorrow, would you start over again?"

Im not asking if you wouldn't go back through all the crap sellers , time and effort , heartache and BS....we all more than likely would. If something catastrophic occurred and you lost it all, would you go back into the hobby.

For me, the answer is flat out no. Too much irreplaceable stuff to start back from day one, but I did wanna know how you guys feel about it.

bigtime59
12-13-2013, 10:17 PM
Given that I'm trying to sell off my collection and get out, if it was gone tomorrow, I'd be a happy camper.

Phil316
12-13-2013, 11:00 PM
Yes I would but instead of straying to NFL and NBA I would just stick mainly to NHL and MLB.

akrover
12-13-2013, 11:04 PM
Sure. I buy what I love, and it's such a force of habbit. I check ebay & the forums a few times a day. But, the numbers have really dwindled. I buy maybe two or three a year now mostly because I've filled almost all the holes, but more realistically because there just aren't that many hogh quality shirts out there that I get a shot at. Hell, I buy redunadant jerseys when it's been awhile and I get the itch. There are only two or three styles I'm still searching for that would really 'add' to the collection, so the odds just keep getting longer & longer. There's a thrill to the chase that would be just as hard to replace as the collection.

Steeleraddict
12-14-2013, 01:31 AM
Absolutely because I would still feel the same about having jersey that one of the great Steeler linebackers wore. I would probably cut back though.

jmeekins33
12-14-2013, 02:29 AM
I would start over but my collection is small. It would be difficult to replace but not impossible.

Cubanfan
12-14-2013, 10:35 AM
I would not start over. When I started collecting it was more about the hunt which is what I enjoy. There was a lot of interaction and exchange of knowledge between collectors that included trading! Now if you have the money you can get whatever you want thru auction sites and team sales. Not everyone has the means. Market is flooded! I remember how difficult it was to find Dolphins jerseys of any player. Now they are on E bay for as low as $50. I collect early Dolphins mainly which are virtually impossible to find. I should have collected cash instead!

Carlos

CampWest
12-14-2013, 10:49 AM
I probably would start again, but I think the resulting collection would look a little different. More selective, less quantity, less duplication, less hoarding, less prospecting, less impulsive, more vintage.

mad87man
12-14-2013, 11:21 AM
Maybe especially bc of the dramatic price decrease in all Jets game used items I would be able to pick some things up cheaper. But I wouldn't go nuts like when I first started ever again.

geoff
12-14-2013, 08:03 PM
In a heartbeat I would start over again.But some of my collection would also be different I would think.

tella27
12-14-2013, 10:25 PM
I would want to start over but as many collectors know the hobby has changed over the last 10 years. I remember being able to go to a show and find something awesome and still have cash left to get lunch. Now everyone wants big money for everything no matter what it is. The best days of collecting - I feel - are over unless you can pony up the cash to buy the really nice pieces.

1970REDS
12-15-2013, 06:15 AM
I have started over . The second time around I tried to buy what I liked and less of the good deals that did not necessarily fit into my collection . And quality over quantity.......