PDA

View Full Version : Which would you want..a $35,000 helmet or $8000 jersey?

Steeleraddict
12-15-2013, 03:21 PM
Panini is asking $35000 for his rookie helmet! Used maybe half the year. And it's not like panini throws out too crazy of prices. They listed Peytons jersey for $14 and $15000 in which both sold. And I believe Luck's GU jersey went For around $8000 in an NFL auction.

Which would you pay more for? Multiple jerseys are used during a season, and usually just one or maybe two helmets during a season. Granted luck is an extreme example. I thought the prices would be a lot closer.

How about this...everything being equal (price etc) which GU item would you rather have of your fav FOOTBALL player, his jersey or helmet?

I'd rather have Mean Joe greenes helmet, although his jersey would be a close second.
Thoughts?

GMEN92
12-15-2013, 08:37 PM
Panini is asking $35000 for his rookie helmet! Used maybe half the year. And it's not like panini throws out too crazy of prices. They listed Peytons jersey for $14 and $15000 in which both sold. And I believe Luck's GU jersey went For around $8000 in an NFL auction.

Which would you pay more for? Multiple jerseys are used during a season, and usually just one or maybe two helmets during a season. Granted luck is an extreme example. I thought the prices would be a lot closer.

How about this...everything being equal (price etc) which GU item would you rather have of your fav FOOTBALL player, his jersey or helmet?

I'd rather have Mean Joe greenes helmet, although his jersey would be a close second.
Thoughts?

I say helmets are higher on the list just due to the fact that there more harder in most cases to come by.. With that being said some jerseys that are photo matched with a ton of wear or from a huge playoff win.. Or perhaps the last jersey the player ever wore.. Would be equal to or greater than a helmet..

jhunt28
12-16-2013, 10:02 AM
$35k is a lot of scratch for a QB in his second year. Way too much for my taste. I have paid a decent amount for some helmets over the years, with a photo-matched Favre and Montana being two of the most expensive. In my mind those helmets were worth their prices because of 1) How rare it is to find photomatched helmets of those two players. 2) I know their places in NFL history has been solidified based off their career performances.

Luck is a great talent, but to me he's now only the 2nd best QB to come from the Class of 2012. I think Russell Wilson is not only surrounded by a better cast in Seattle, but continues to make better decisions on the field than Luck or Griffin III. Thus, I couldn't see spending that kind of money.

Secondly, the availability of Game Used memorabilia from current day athletes seems to be never ending. If Luck wore two helmets in 2012, then I'm assuming he will at least wear two more this year, and most likely more than that going forward in his career. I think the market will continue to be watered down, and de-value the price of Luck memorabilia.

Clearly if Luck goes on to win 4 or more Superbowls, the value of his items will most likely hold steady...but I'll take my chances of that not happening.

cohibasmoker
12-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Helmets are far an away rarer than jerseys but, I'll end this thread with 2 words

MARK SANCHEZ

jhunt28
12-16-2013, 11:06 AM
That hurts!!!! I know from personal experience!!!

paul457
12-16-2013, 04:36 PM
$35k is a lot of scratch for a QB in his second year. Way too much for my taste. I have paid a decent amount for some helmets over the years, with a photo-matched Favre and Montana being two of the most expensive. In my mind those helmets were worth their prices because of 1) How rare it is to find photomatched helmets of those two players. 2) I know their places in NFL history has been solidified based off their career performances.

Secondly, the availability of Game Used memorabilia from current day athletes seems to be never ending. If Luck wore two helmets in 2012, then I'm assuming he will at least wear two more this year, and most likely more than that going forward in his career. I think the market will continue to be watered down, and de-value the price of Luck memorabilia.

Clearly if Luck goes on to win 4 or more Superbowls, the value of his items will most likely hold steady...but I'll take my chances of that not happening.

Agree on all points. The only thing I can really add is - that old saying is true, where 'something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it'. When you get into $35k helmets, how big is your pool of potential buyers? And of that pool, how many want to spend $35k on that particular helmet?

Great piece, but at that price-point, and at this point in Luck's career, IMHO waayy too risky. If he had 5 Pro Bowl seasons under his belt... I'd probably still feel the same.

Prices being equal, I'd take a helmet over a jersey any day.

jeffaary
12-18-2013, 12:28 PM
My answer is it depends on the sport. Custom painted hockey goalie helmets trump jerseys, IMO. If we're talking baseball or football I'd rather have a jersey.

War Helmets
03-02-2014, 11:05 PM
Hi Steeleraddict,the helmet I am looking for is much much lower than 35K.Do you or someone you know have a 80's or early 90's Steelers helmet you could part with.You can email me at brandonwatson77@yahoo.com

xsentrixsupra
03-03-2014, 09:08 AM
My answer is it depends on the sport. Custom painted hockey goalie helmets trump jerseys, IMO. If we're talking baseball or football I'd rather have a jersey.

I don't have any hockey gear, but I'd probably agree with that. I definitely wouldn't mind getting my hands on a Jonathank Quick custom painted LA Kings helmet from 2012 more so than a jersey. That being said, I'd still rather have a basketball/football/baseball jersey.

Roady
03-03-2014, 10:04 AM
I would rather have a baseball or football helmet any day over a jersey.
Easier to display, and usually more rare.