OMG! Just picked up my holy grail John Herrnstein 1963 Phillies game used flannel

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VERIS#60
    • Dec 2005

OMG! Just picked up my holy grail John Herrnstein 1963 Phillies game used flannel

I am shocked beyond belief. I will tell the whole story later tonight. I took the jersey to John's house to show him. What a day it was for him and me! I can't post pics with my smart phone. Could someone please contact me so you could post the photos of me and John? Thanks so much! Bruce

brucecaplinger@yahoo.com
  • ChrisCavalier
    Paid Users
    • Jan 1970

Re: OMG! Just picked up my holy grail John Herrnstein 1963 Phillies game used flannel

Originally posted by VERIS#60
    I am shocked beyond belief. I will tell the whole story later tonight. I took the jersey to John's house to show him. What a day it was for him and me! I can't post pics with my smart phone. Could someone please contact me so you could post the photos of me and John? Thanks so much! Bruce

brucecaplinger@yahoo.com
    Congratulations Bruce!

-Chris
    Christopher Cavalier
    Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

Comment

• VERIS#60
      • Dec 2005

Re: OMG! Just picked up my holy grail John Herrnstein 1963 Phillies game used flannel

Originally posted by ChrisCavalier
      Congratulations Bruce!

-Chris
      Thanks Chris! I can't wait to post picks. I am not sure who was shaking more, me or John. Great story behind this jersey! Not only will Phillies fans appreciate this, but everyone. Thanks again!

Comment

• VERIS#60
        • Dec 2005

If anyone could help me to post 4 photos, that would be great! Thanks!

Comment

• ChrisCavalier
          Paid Users
          • Jan 1970

Originally posted by VERIS#60
          If anyone could help me to post 4 photos, that would be great! Thanks!
          Hey Bruce,

I'm headed out but will be back later this afternoon (PST). If you want to email the pictures to me, I'll see if I can post them when I return. I know this is important to you.

-Chris
          Christopher Cavalier

Comment

• swainer
            • Feb 2012

Here are the photos...can't wait to hear the story!

Peace!

John
            Attached Files
            Always interested in Lance Parrish game used items. Looking for any Tigers game used jersey, game used glove, road Mariners jersey, and 94 Pirates home jersey. Contact me at john.swainer at gmail dot com

Comment

• VERIS#60
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by swainer
              Here are the photos...can't wait to hear the story!

Peace!

John
              Thank you so much John for posting my picks! It is a great story and notice the endless smile on John's face. I think he teared up a little. I did...I will post story in a little bit. Thanks again! Love GUU!

Comment

• VERIS#60
                • Dec 2005

OK, I only collect athletes from my small hometown of Chillicothe , Ohio. Some of the players are Neil Johnston(NBA), john Herrnstein(Phillies, Cubs, Braves), Elbie Nickel(Steelers), Dave Juenger(Bears), Greg Cook(Bengals), Grain Veris(Patriots), Scott Bailes(Mlb) and Ben Hartsock(current NFL). I went to john's house this morning with a box in my hand. After he invited me to the kitchen and have a seat, I said, ''What was some of your highlights of your career? No I in his team. ''Well, it was actually nothing good, the fall of the 1964 Phillies. He then told me the story, but I wasn't listening to well as I was shaking to death. I said, ''What was your best personal highlight? He said, ''Oh, that's easy, it would have to be my first major league home run''. He proceeded to tell me, but I already knew the story. It was September 24th, 1963, at SF with two outs in the ninth inning of a 4-4 ball game. John Herrnstein strolled to the plate to ph against Mr Perfect, Don Larsen. He proceeded to hit a fly ball to right field that he knew Willie Mays was gonna track down. Well, at Candlestick Park, anything is possible. The ball just barely made it over the fence. Phillies win 5-4. While doing some research on a #21 game used jersey of Herrnstein from 1962. I found he wore two numbers in 1963, #21 and #44. After further research, thanks to baseball almanac, he wore the jersey that was assigned to Marcelino Lopez, #44. I said,''John, do you remember what number you were wearing when you hit that first major league home run? He said,''Sure, #44''. I reached into my box and pulled out the jersey he was wearing and said,''Did it look something like this"? He said,''Oh my gosh, you have got to be kidding me''! He was moved to nearly tears as I was too. He raved and raved about my recent purchase in the Grey Flannel Auction. A Marcelino Lopez/John Herrnstein game used Phillies 1963 flannel. He even said he remembered Lopez chainstitched in the back collar of the jersey. He said he knew Lopez wore that for a month before both were sent to the minore at about or the same time. When John was recalled in September he was assigned #44, as Havey Kuene was assigned his number. I think I spelled Harvey Kuene right. I plan on displaying this jersey, along with some others, around town in some restaurants. It was a great day for us and even his wife! I will post one more story he told me later. Love GUU!

Comment

• EricTheRed44
                  • Jan 2012

Great story and pics! So... it being Christmas time and all... maybe you gift it to him? He looks too happy just to take it away from him!

Great find!

Comment

• cjw
                    • Oct 2006

Great story! Log that you both can share in the experience.
                    WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

Comment

• swainer
                      • Feb 2012

Great story Bruce! That's what our hobby is all about! That's cool you're going to display it around town. I bet the thought crossed your mind to give him the jersey but it sounds like you'll enjoy the jersey just as much as he did. Congrats on the great pickup and experience!
                      Always interested in Lance Parrish game used items. Looking for any Tigers game used jersey, game used glove, road Mariners jersey, and 94 Pirates home jersey. Contact me at john.swainer at gmail dot com

Comment

• ChrisCavalier
                        Paid Users
                        • Jan 1970

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing.

-Chris
                        Christopher Cavalier

Comment

• VERIS#60
                          • Dec 2005

Another story John told me. He played in the first game at the Houston Astrodome. Before the game they had a big event honoring the first set of astronauts. He was fascinated since his Father and Grandfather were employed by NASA. He looked around in the dugout and said he was the only one there watching the ceremony. A guy walked in from the other end of the dugout and approached him. They talked about the space program and the guy said,'Where are you from''? John said, ''I'm from Ohio, how bout you''? He replied, ''How ironic, I'm from Ohio too''. He said he was in the second wave of astronauts. The guy went out on the field and hung out for awhile. After the ceremony he came back to John to shake his hand. John got excited and thought he better find out who this stranger was. He wanted to tell his wife the guys name in case he forgot and the guy had a great achievement. He said, ''By the way, what is your name''? The man replied, ''Neil Armstrong''.

Comment

• Phil316
                            • May 2013

Awesome stories thanks so much for sharing

Comment

• VERIS#60
                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Phil316
                              Awesome stories thanks so much for sharing
                              You are welcome! John is a very soft spoken person and quite simply one of the nicest people I know. I can't wait to pay tribute to my hometown athletes by displaying my items so all can see.

Comment

Working...