Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Abigballs
    • Dec 2013

Mike Schmidt phillies games used bat

Curious what you guys think about this bat that recently sold on ebay.
  • Hoosier39
    • Jul 2013

Re: Mike Schmidt phillies games used bat

It's fine, just in rough shape.- broken in two, pieces missing etc

Comment

• Abigballs
      • Dec 2013

I was mostly concerned with the authenticity. After doing some research I found a similar bat knob. It also was a 1983 from batch 195 with a large 20 with a small 32. Based on this 2nd pic would you be confident that this was game used? Secondly, what would you estimate a bat like this is worth?

Comment

• metsbats
        • Nov 2005

Looks like a legit Schmidt pro model Rawlings bat based on the stamping on the knob. MS20 is the model and lot and year numbers. The center labeling is from late 79-83. Looks like it's stamped 195 3 perhaps? Rawlings factory wrote in pen the weight of the bat which is 32 ounces.

I"m not a Schmidt expert so cannot comment on the use on the bat and whether if it's consistent with his bats.
        metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• metsbats
          • Nov 2005

I took the photo of the knob off the auction.
          Attached Files
          metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• Abigballs
            • Dec 2013

Thanks for the reply. I asked the seller and he told me it was 195 3. I believe 195 is the batch and the 3 represents 1983. Knowing this matches the bat knob card in my other post would you be confident in purchasing as game used? How much is a bat like this worth?

Comment

• Abigballs
              • Dec 2013

Just a little more evidence why I think it is the real deal. This psa certified schmidt gamer looks very similar

Comment

• Hoosier39
                • Jul 2013

I told you it was fine but just in rough shape, that now looks to be used by Schmidt in 1983. Everything on it is fine. It was originally purchased with about 5 other gamers that all looked fine.

That being said, in the shape it's in, maybe $300-$375.

Comment

• Hoosier39
                  • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Hoosier39
                  I told you it was fine but just in rough shape, that now looks to be used by Schmidt in 1983. Everything on it is fine. It was originally purchased with about 5 other gamers that all looked fine.

Also, the seller is a member on here...

Comment

• Abigballs
                    • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Hoosier39

Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't 100% sure what you meant by "fine" this is my first ebay purchase and I heard a lot of horror stories about fakes. I did my research and found the two pics before purchasing, just wanted some more opinions (noob question I guess). I am a little surprised of your value estimate. I personally like beat up gear, so I don't mind the condition, since it is just for my personal collection and not for resale. I just wanted to know if the price I paid was fair (I guess I overpaid by $100ish). I'm a life long phillies fan and schmidt will always be my favorite. Thanks again I appreciate the response

Comment

• Hoosier39
                      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Abigballs
                      Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't 100% sure what you meant by "fine" this is my first ebay purchase and I heard a lot of horror stories about fakes. I did my research and found the two pics before purchasing, just wanted some more opinions (noob question I guess). I am a little surprised of your value estimate. I personally like beat up gear, so I don't mind the condition, since it is just for my personal collection and not for resale. I just wanted to know if the price I paid was fair (I guess I overpaid by $100ish). I'm a life long phillies fan and schmidt will always be my favorite. Thanks again I appreciate the response
                      Sure thing. It could be more than what I say, it's just my opinion and what I would probably offer.

If you felt comfortable with what you paid, and really wanted the bat/like it, that's all that matters.

Comment

• Abigballs
                        • Dec 2013

Yes, I'm fine with the price I paid and happy with my decision to buy it. Also glad it came from a forum member than a random ebay member. Just curious about the user id of the seller, I'd rather do business with him on here versus ebay (prob save a few bucks avoiding ebay seller fees). Thanks again.

Comment

• Nnunnari
                          Banned
                          • Sep 2006

Even though you like your items beat up, you have to be mindful of the condition when determining the value. When you see a bat in this kind of condition, it leaves open a strong possibility that the bat was passed on by Schmidt and used by someone else, hurting it's value. Bats which are used and broken in game action typically don't look like this.
                          The good news is, you were able to pick up a legit Schmidt bat which was possibly used by Mike for a period of time for cheap. I hope you enjoy it.

Comment

• Dewey2007
                            • Dec 2007

Just curious why, in your opinion, the bat in this condition would leave open the strong possibility that the bat was used by someone else?

There doesn't appear to be a number change on the bat that is pretty common when another player uses a teammates bat. Maybe Schmidt wasn't happy after a particular at-bat and smashed it on the ground or in the dugout or just got sawed off like in the attached pic of him during an at-bat in the '83 World Series.

It looks like he got a HOFer's bat that is still in displayable condition at a pretty good price.

Originally posted by Nnunnari
                            Even though you like your items beat up, you have to be mindful of the condition when determining the value. When you see a bat in this kind of condition, it leaves open a strong possibility that the bat was passed on by Schmidt and used by someone else, hurting it's value. Bats which are used and broken in game action typically don't look like this.
                            The good news is, you were able to pick up a legit Schmidt bat which was possibly used by Mike for a period of time for cheap. I hope you enjoy it.
                            Attached Files
                            sigpicwww.alamedasportsproject.com

Comment

• Abigballs
                              • Dec 2013

Thanks Dewey, it sounds like you are confirming my thoughts. I'm glad I bought it, and glad someone agreed with my logic.

Comment

Working...