PDA

View Full Version : Any USFL collectors on this Forum? If so...

Larry Pelliccioni
12-26-2013, 01:50 PM
share what you have collected, thanks.
Larry Pelliccioni
I have a number of Michigan Panther items as I worked for the club from it's inception.
I have the 4 different helmet variations that they wore, Anthony Carter's uniform and several other team issued items including a USFL championship ring.
Some great memories as well.
LP

abstractheory
12-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Yes!! I collect Denver Gold GU stuff. Will post some asap. Love the USFL!

abstractheory
12-26-2013, 01:56 PM
share what you have collected, thanks.
Larry Pelliccioni
I have a number of Michigan Panther items as I worked for the club from it's inception.
I have the 4 different helmet variations that they wore, Anthony Carter's uniform and several other team issued items including a USFL championship ring.
Some great memories as well.
LP

Please, post pics soon!

abstractheory
12-26-2013, 10:15 PM
Here is my 1985 Denver Gold, Marc Lewis helmet and jersey.

G1X
12-28-2013, 12:43 PM
Hi Larry,

I have both a home and road jersey along with a helmet and game pants from my hometown team, the Birmingham Stallions.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League uniforms.

G1X
01-01-2014, 01:14 AM
Here are photos of a few more USFL jerseys I have on hand.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League uniform

#85-Stegall DENVER GOLD
#65-Morini NEW JERSEY GENERALS
#87-Combs NEW JERSEY GENERALS
#92-Moore OAKLAND INVADERS
#52-Office TAMPA BAY BANDITS
#80-Fisher WASHINGTON FEDERALS

Bhawk2
01-22-2014, 10:17 PM
Do any of you USFL collectors have a blue Arizona Wranglers jersey from 1983? I picked up a blue Champion jersey several years ago which might be a Wranglers jersey, but I haven't found clear pictures of one to compare. The tag looks right and in general it seems like the photos I've seen, although there is no name on the back. Everything is screened on.

Here are photos:

beaglegypsy003
01-23-2014, 04:50 AM
I don't have a Wranglers blue jersey but my white fish net jersey has the same tagging and the four red stripes on the right sleeve and three red stripes on the left. Jim Asmus who wore the jersey in my collection came to my house this past Monday to see my display of ex-University of Hawaii players and put on the jersey for me to take his picture. He set the USFL record for the longest field goal of 57 yards which was later tied by another kicker. We communicated by email and this was the first time we met. Really had a great time talking with him.

G1X
01-23-2014, 02:28 PM
It looks like it could possibly be a 1983 blue Arizona Wranglers jersey, but the number font is incorrect. The Wranglers jerseys had the classic Champion number font of the era that was very distinguishable, especially on certain numbers such as "2" and "7" (#22 is a great example). Below is a team photo where you can get a good view of the number font. Interestingly, #52 has a different type of font on the "2", but it still does not match your jersey.

Perhaps it is a "blank" that a fan or collector obtained from the team and added a number. The one thing I suggest is to continue to search for photos to see if the sleeve stripes are correct. Note that the stripes on your jersey do not exactly match on each sleeve. I cannot tell from the team photo if this is the case.

Hope this was helpful.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for WFL uniforms and Alfred Jenkins Atlanta Falcons or Birmingham Americans jerseys.

ousooner_85
01-23-2014, 06:53 PM
This set has made it's rounds over the years and has a home back in Oklahoma now.

1984 Oklahoma Outlaws - Vic Koenning
(currently Associate Head Coach - Defense at the University of North Carolina).

commando
01-24-2014, 01:03 AM
BHawk, there's a good chance you have a legit Wranglers practice jersey. The lack of shoulder numbers and the one-color style of the front and back numbers suggest a practice jersey... Throw in the "L" size on the Champion tag, which was very common on practice jerseys as opposed to numeric sizes.

Mark, if you take a closer look at the team photo you posted, you'll notice that two different players are wearing the number 52... One jersey is consistent with the rest of the team, while the one you pointed out on the far left is clearly from a different batch.

G1X
01-24-2014, 01:44 AM
Hey Anthony,

Hope all is well. Not trying to complicate the issue for Bhawk2, but all of the Champion tags on the gamers I've had over the years have a lettered size tag. I couldn't find any USFL Champion jerseys in my collection or data base with numbered sizes (see various examples below).

Also, I was thinking that the Wranglers had one-colored numbers on their blue jerseys (see game action photo below). The '83 Wranglers blue jerseys with gold numbers and lettering on the name plate, along with with gold helmet and gold pants, is my favorite USFL uniform!

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for WFL uniforms and Alfred Jenkins Atlanta Falcons or Birmingham Americans jerseys.

commando
01-24-2014, 02:19 AM
My bad, Mark... Meant to say the skinny font style of the numbers, not one-color font. You're right about the Champion jerseys too -- I was thinking about the Russell jerseys and their numeric sizing.

Bhawk2
01-25-2014, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the response. It may be a practice jersey - it seems very close to the team's base jersey with the body color and sleeve stripe combination, but with no NOB and no trace of a name plate it probably isn't a regular season jersey. I don't think Champion would have an extra length flag tag on a retail jersey, but it's also possible some college or high school wore this. Does anyone know why the USFL didn't use team names or logos on jerseys?

G1X
01-27-2014, 11:36 AM
Does anyone know why the USFL didn't use team names or logos on jerseys?

Sleeve logos were not widely used by pro football teams during that era. A few USFL teams such as the Tampa Bay Bandits and the 1984 Washington Federals had sleeve logos (see my second post in this thread that includes photos of a Bandits and '84 Federals). The small inclusion of the team nickname seen on many current uniforms was not in vogue in the 1980s.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

holydiver5150
01-27-2014, 09:28 PM
Larry,

Just added this Michigan Panther jersey to my collection. Sorry for the oversized photo.

S

genius
01-27-2014, 10:19 PM
Nice ex-Steeler there!!!

solarlottry
01-28-2014, 02:15 AM
Only have one USFL game worn jersey in the collection-a 1984-85 Joe Cribbs Birmingham Stallions shirt. Nice use with multiple repairs. Cribbs played for the Stallions during the 1984-85 seasons and then for the 49ers for the 1986 and 87 seasons.

Would love to add a Steve Young USFL shirt.....

Always buying 49er game worn items.
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

Jim65
02-08-2015, 07:05 AM
NJ Generals Punter Bob Grupp

jschmus
05-22-2015, 10:49 AM
Would you have any interest in selling your gold helmet? I am in search for the 85 version of the Gold helmet. Please let me know. Thanks, Jim Schmus

Jim65
02-14-2016, 12:06 PM
Got this NJ Generals jersey from EBay, advertised as a new, never worn. Has evidence of a removed nameplate and minor use so I'm happy with the buy. According the media guides no Generals player ever wore #5 so I'm trying to figure who's jersey it was.