PDA

View Full Version : Exploited HOF Sales..

tella27
01-08-2014, 10:17 PM
I'm happy for the newest HOFers but I always think its sad that once the names are released there is a flood of items up for sale with the sellers asking outrageous amounts. The same items they couldn't sell a few months ago are now 3 and 4 times the price.. I guess everyone is chasing that same dollar.

Steeleraddict
01-08-2014, 10:34 PM
There are a few sad things about this hobby. But just remember it's only a hobby. With those guys it's a buyers market. Wait it out if you can.

bravesfanjd
01-08-2014, 11:42 PM
It bothers me more when someone dies and people flood the market with this at least it is something positive.

PAC
01-08-2014, 11:43 PM
Not as bad as when an athlete dies and eBay is suddenly flooded with items.

coophallmonitor
01-09-2014, 10:09 AM
I've heard of some people that gather up a ton of stuff years in advance from guys they THINK will make the hall just so they can make a killing when/if they do. Doesn't always work out like they hoped...

cfern023
01-09-2014, 11:11 AM
I'm on the selling end of both situations. One item the person had just died and after having it around still I felt a little creeped out having it so I just sold it for what I could to get rid of it. I only made about 10 off it but I undersold it on purpose just to move it and would have probably taken a loss if someone offered.

The current one, I'm selling a HOF item because I want to find something else from another Future HOF for my collection. If rather have a Piazza item then what I'm selling.

CampWest
01-09-2014, 01:06 PM
Its not exploitation to sell an item at the perceived peak of buyer demand. Its a free market, if someone wants to buy an item at a high price because they are excited, then that is the market value of that item at that time. In this hobby we know that buyers set market prices, if a seller sets a price too high buyers avoid it or offer less.

Are some of the prices laughably high compared to what I would think a reasonable price is... yeah for sure... but that does not make it illegal or immoral or worth complaining about.

I'm against trying to profit off of someone's death (ie if someone begins buying stuff when a guy is announced as having terminal cancer and hold it until the hour of his death to sell it - thats a little scummy in my mind).

But complaining about selling after a positive event is ridiculous. Yeah I want a player I collect to do well and win a world series, win an MVP, win a batting title or homerun title, get inducted to the Hall of Fame, heck even being on dancing with the stars or the like can increase a player's popularity for a couple months... And if someone moves a couple items when the player is at a popularity bubble, that's completely legitimate.

joelsabi
01-09-2014, 01:48 PM
Its not exploitation to sell an item at the perceived peak of buyer demand. Its a free market, if someone wants to buy an item at a high price because they are excited, then that is the market value of that item at that time. In this hobby we know that buyers set market prices, if a seller sets a price too high buyers avoid it or offer less.

I agree. It is prudent to strike when the iron is hot, when the player has been retired for some time and now is brought back into the media spotlight. As we all know that window of opportunity from excited buyers does not last too long for most HOFers candidates.

sportsnbikes
01-09-2014, 02:18 PM

Are some of the prices laughably high compared to what I would think a reasonable price is... yeah for sure... but that does not make it illegal or immoral or worth complaining about.

I'm against trying to profit off of someone's death (ie if someone begins buying stuff when a guy is announced as having terminal cancer and hold it until the hour of his death to sell it - thats a little scummy in my mind).

But complaining about selling after a positive event is ridiculous. Yeah I want a player I collect to do well and win a world series, win an MVP, win a batting title or homerun title, get inducted to the Hall of Fame, heck even being on dancing with the stars or the like can increase a player's popularity for a couple months... And if someone moves a couple items when the player is at a popularity bubble, that's completely legitimate.

+Infinity

Roady
01-09-2014, 03:29 PM
Just received Lisa's game used list from the Braves with game used items related to Maddux and Glavine. :eek:

The Braves prices are ridicules on normal game used items anyway but this takes it to a whole new level of stupid.
Anyone want a Ball for $500 just because it was used in a game pitched by them?

Roady
01-09-2014, 03:31 PM
And $500 is the lowest. They go up to $2,000.

vdsporty25
01-09-2014, 04:07 PM
I personally like when things get flushed onto the market as I am looking for items from certain players that are fairly tough to find quality items from until the HOF voting gets announced!:D

Takuleechch
01-09-2014, 05:14 PM
Yea don't cry cause you didn't get the players item before he hit the hall of fame lol.
If you were really into the player you would have gotten an item in the days, months, years prior to his entrance lol but I feel ya pain bro

Roady
01-09-2014, 08:29 PM
I remember when Stan Musial died there was so much stuff on Ebay that you could get a nice autograph for about half of what they were bringing before his death. So sometimes it has a good outcome too.

marino13
01-09-2014, 09:44 PM
I guess I will have to wait for my investment to pay back when Mariano Rivera induct into the Hall in five years. :D

Or some Jeter's in seven years?

sportsnbikes
01-09-2014, 11:22 PM
Just received Lisa's game used list from the Braves with game used items related to Maddux and Glavine. :eek:

The Braves prices are ridicules on normal game used items anyway but this takes it to a whole new level of stupid.
Anyone want a Ball for $500 just because it was used in a game pitched by them?

I think overprice amount on the balls used in a game where something special happened are completely stupid anyway unless it's the actual item. Like the people selling a ball used in the game that Mariano pitched and got a save. Look at the MLB authentication and it's something like "No-name pitcher" Pitch in the dirt to "No-name player".

That ball is worth no more than any other generic GU ball.

Roady
01-09-2014, 11:44 PM
I think overprice amount on the balls used in a game where something special happened are completely stupid anyway unless it's the actual item. Like the people selling a ball used in the game that Mariano pitched and got a save. Look at the MLB authentication and it's something like "No-name pitcher" Pitch in the dirt to "No-name player".

That ball is worth no more than any other generic GU ball.

I agree.

r_phelps
01-10-2014, 12:02 AM
Personally I like seeing all the different items that I have never seen before because of the flooded market as I have never seen as many Greg Maddox authentic game used autographed bats before.