PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Segment on Jordan Items in Goldin Auctions

ChrisCavalier
01-10-2014, 08:57 PM
Here is a link to the ESPN story regarding the Michael Jordan items in the current Goldin Auction.

Hope you enjoy:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10274561/michael-jordan-recruiting-letters-found-storage-locker-auction

sportscentury
01-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Very nicely done. Some really incredible Michael Jordan UNC and Bulls items being offered, no doubt.

Web2323
01-10-2014, 10:15 PM
I wonder if the phone number still works.

PAC
01-13-2014, 04:42 PM

Just called it and a lady named Delores Jordan answered. I was surprised someone actually answered and didn't know what to say, so I just hung up. I wonder if she's related? I'm guessing probably. Seems a pretty strange coincidence that someone with the same last name would have his old home phone #?

joelsabi
01-13-2014, 10:17 PM
Just called it and a lady named Delores Jordan answered. I was surprised someone actually answered and didn't know what to say, so I just hung up. I wonder if she's related? I'm guessing probably. Seems a pretty strange coincidence that someone with the same last name would have his old home phone #?

You just spoke to Michael Jordan's mom :eek:

KGoldin
01-13-2014, 10:56 PM

What phone #?
I didn't see a phone # on any of the documents? what am I missing?

Takuleechch
01-14-2014, 01:49 PM

Surely youre joking....right?

JDubbs73
01-14-2014, 02:01 PM
What phone #?
I didn't see a phone # on any of the documents? what am I missing?

The only number I see is for the University on their letterhead.

However, there is what appears to be his home address on the letter from Dean Smith. You may wish to consider blurring that out if any family in fact still reside there. Could very well be public record though.

Preston
01-14-2014, 04:19 PM

WHAT ARE THE ODDS!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

otismalibu
01-14-2014, 05:35 PM
Just called it and a lady named Delores Jordan answered.

Have you matched the voice yet? :)

woodward30
01-15-2014, 06:28 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10299844/michael-jordan-mother-disputes-authenticity-auction-items

KGoldin
01-15-2014, 07:24 PM
Its frustrating that his mom makes a statement, than says 'I say it so it must be true' and doesn't have to produce or show anything, and its printed...so here you go.

Goldin Auctions and PSA/DNA Stand By Authenticity of Michael Jordan Memorabilia

WEST BERLIN, NJ – JAN. 15, 2014 – Goldin Auctions, the New Jersey based auction house that is currently offering more than 1,100 item of sports, entertainment, history and pop culture memorabilia in its 2014 Winter Auction is standing by the authenticity of every item in the auction including four particular pieces of Michael Jordan memorabilia that were questioned by Mrs. Deloris Jordan, the mother of Michael Jordan.
The four items Mrs. Jordan questioned include: Jordan’s University of North Carolina Diploma; a recruiting letter dated Aug. 12, 1980 from UNC Head Coach Dean Smith; a recruiting letter from Assistant Coach Bill Guthridge dated Feb. 19, 1980; and Jordan’s UNC undergraduate academic record.
“I have no doubt that Mrs. Jordan has numerous recruiting letters in her possession that she saved from her son Michael, and likely many from University of North Carolina. However, based upon scientific analysis, authentication from PSA and most important the ‘eye test’ that these documents are authentic, we find it highly unlikely that she has originals of these two particular letters in her possession,” explains Ken Goldin Founder of Goldin Auctions. “However if she can produce what she claims to be originals of these two exact letters dated Aug. 12, 1980 from UNC Head Coach Dean Smith and Feb. 19, 1980 from Assistant Coach Bill Guthridge, and we can verify that here versions are authentic, we will pull these two lots from the auction.”
"We stand behind our authenticators’ opinion 100 percent that what the auction is selling is real," said PSA/DNA president Joe Orlando. "And there hasn't been anything legitimate presented that contradicts the opinion of our authenticators. I respect Mrs. Jordan's approach and concern, but unless there's evidence to the contrary here, it doesn't mean much."
Here are the facts that reinforce Goldin Auctions’ confidence on the authenticity of the items.
• PSA/DNA the leading sports authenticator in the world inspected and certified each document as an original document, and each signature as an original signature not a copy. They are in the business of identifying copies and replicas.

• The paper the letters are printed on is Fox River Bond 25% cotton paper. This is a stationary that was popular in the 1980 time period.

• Both letters retain the original fold lines from being placed in the envelope 34 years ago both documents shows the typical wear and tear of a 34 year-old document

• The Dean Smith letter contains a handwritten note and a slight tearing of the ink that would only appear on an original

• The Guthridge letter has a 'slice' at the bottom of the letter, the type that would have been created by someone using a letter opener 34 years ago and unfortunately slicing off the very bottom portion of the stationary. Therefore, the letter itself does not have a straight edge at the bottom, but a curved edge to the paper. Something that would be nearly impossible to replicate.

• The academic transcript is an original transcript from the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill with a print date of 9/27/1999. It is two sided and there is no doubt this is a document from UNC, as advertised.

• Through the office of the registrar at UNC-Chapel Hill, Goldin Auctions confirmed this to be an original diploma issued by UNC that could only be obtained by the actual student. UNC does allows students to obtain an additional diploma. The registrar’s office at UNC would not reveal if more than one Michael Jordan diploma was ever requested. As a result Goldin Auctions has advertised this item as an original Michael Jordan UNC college diploma that was displayed at the restaurant. If Mrs. Jordan produces another copy of the diploma, the listing will be revised to reflect that fact.

Takuleechch
01-15-2014, 07:33 PM
I understand where you're coming from but isn't it on the auction house to prove the items are authentic?
It looks like you guys have done a lot of research already - is there any way you can contact Deloris and figure it out?
I don't really think a 1999 transcript or reprinted diploma can be called original. Thats just my opinion. Surely there is the first one - the original - and everything would therefore not be original?

KGoldin
01-15-2014, 07:52 PM
I understand where you're coming from but isn't it on the auction house to prove the items are authentic?
It looks like you guys have done a lot of research already - is there any way you can contact Deloris and figure it out?
I don't really think a 1999 transcript or reprinted diploma can be called original. Thats just my opinion. Surely there is the first one - the original - and everything would therefore not be original?

TAK: the letters are what they are. read the release, look at them, look at the PSA letter, look at Joe Orlando's quote

the transcript is exactly as stated in our catalog, online and printed. a transcript printed at the request of Jordan printed sept 27 1999 by UNC.

The diploma is exactly as stated in the catalog as well. We have not seen any other diploma including the one Deloris claims to have. We do not it is defined by UNC registrar as an original document produced by them, and that they will produce ONLY for the student in question upon their request, as stated in the description.

At the same time Deloris is saying this stuff, I am in discussions with Jordan's agent and attorney who wishes to get the items back. I have this in writing and emails. He also wrote me an email about my items being original. Why would he want them back if not original letters?

This is very frustrating for me. I think the ESPN article is a fair portrayal of the situation.

KGoldin
01-16-2014, 02:24 PM
JSA has just certified them as well

as "Typed Letters Signed" on "Fox River Bond Paper" that are "authentically Signed"...etc
So much for Deloris Jordan claim of having the originals.

sportscentury
01-17-2014, 09:45 AM
I will offer the following as a general observation. It can be embarrassing for a player and/or his family when a personal item makes its way to the secondary market and becomes publicly available. As such, it is not uncommon for a player or his family to make false claims about said item in an attempt to save face. Anyone who has handled Championship or Hall of Fame rings, for example, is likely well aware of this phenomenon.

swainer
01-20-2014, 04:40 PM
At the same time Deloris is saying this stuff, I am in discussions with Jordan's agent and attorney who wishes to get the items back. I have this in writing and emails. He also wrote me an email about my items being original. Why would he want them back if not original letters?

This is very frustrating for me. I think the ESPN article is a fair portrayal of the situation.

Hey Ken!

Did anything come of the discussions with Jordan's agent? Or is the plan to let the items run and they can bid like everyone else? Congrats on another stellar auction!

Peace,

John

KGoldin
01-20-2014, 04:49 PM
We are still in discussions. Prefer not to comment in that stage, I am looking to get a public apology and a retraction from Michael's mother first and foremost.

TwinLakesPark
01-20-2014, 06:19 PM
We are still in discussions. Prefer not to comment in that stage, I am looking to get a public apology and a retraction from Michael's mother first and foremost.

I must say Ken, there are two things in life (other than my family which is first) that I love more than anything else, baseball (and the memorabilia associated with it) and business.

I look forward to meeting you one day, maybe I can buy you a drink or lunch at the next National Conference.