Daryle Lamonica Raiders Helmet from AFL Championship Game??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bgakladd
    • Dec 2007

Daryle Lamonica Raiders Helmet from AFL Championship Game??

I am looking for help on this old 1960's Oakland Raiders helmet I bought on Ebay this past Sunday afternoon. It is on it's way and I haven't got it yet, but it sure looks like it could quite possibly be Daryle Lamonica's 1968 AFL Championship helmet from when the Raiders played the Jets on Dec. 29, 1968. I will be able to tell better when I get it but from the sellers photos it looks like it matches up pretty good. Also I noticed Lamonica seemed to have worn 2 different helmets in this game as one has the little Raiders decal on it and other photos show a helmet without the emblem. I also have found other game photos with this same little emblem on the stripe. Getty Images photo #98414800 seems to be the best for comparison. Anybody have any opinions?? I will get more photos when I get the helmet. Pics for comparison with the Ebay photos for right now. bgakladd@aol.com
    Attached Files
  • RKO18
    • Sep 2008

Re: Daryle Lamonica Raiders Helmet from AFL Championship Game??

Here are two images of Lamonica, I'm not certain of the dates:

Comment

• bgakladd
      • Dec 2007

Can you find any photos from the AFL Championship game against the Jets. The GI photo looks real close, #98414800 where he is wearing the black jacket. Didn't post that photo because of copyright deal.

Comment

• BrianK
        • Jan 2011

Whatever it turns out to be, it looks like an amazing purchase. Congratulations!

Comment

• JDubbs73
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by bgakladd
          The GI photo looks real close, #98414800 where he is wearing the black jacket. Didn't post that photo because of copyright deal.
          I think you're on the right track. Along with the identifiers you have already mentioned, there is a linear marking near the holes of the crown's right side that appears to be a spot on match to the photo you cite.

It will be nice to learn more once you have the helmet in hand.

Comment

• genius
            • Aug 2007

Purchase of the century! Congratulations!!!

Comment

• gorilla777
              • Aug 2009

Very cool helmet! Love that vintage look, nice pickup

Comment

• yanks12025
                • Jan 2006

I'm curious did it already have a buy it now or you offer that amount?

Comment

• bgakladd
                  • Dec 2007

It had a buy it now price. The listing must of just came on as I got on Ebay. The listing showed 2 people viewing it and at a quick glance I either took a shot at it or lose it. Took forever to go thru Paypal checkout and thought somebody would get it but luckily it went thru fast enough. Got very lucky.

Comment

• speedkills21
                    • Dec 2013

Congrats! Great pickup. btw: The 1969 season is the year Lamonica had the little Raider shield on the front of the helmet.

Comment

• bgakladd
                      • Dec 2007

I will check the date code to see what year it is from when I get it. I know Helmet Hut has a 1969 helmet in their collection. A lot of the players wore their helmets for more than one year I believe. Getty Images might even have the wrong date on the photo that shows the same helmet. I will try to do more follow up to see how many and what years it was worn. Hoping to find pre 1969 helmet photos before the little Raiders decal was put on. Should have the helmet Friday I hope.

Comment

• bgakladd
                        • Dec 2007

Found another photo stating he wore this helmet in 1967. Will try to find out more photos. This photo, although a little small, seems consistant with the Getty Photo I first mentioned that they say he is wearing in 1968. You can see the little Raiders emblem and the same hit marks. The helmet does look like it has more than one year's worth of use on it.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• bgakladd
                          • Dec 2007

Got the Lamonica helmet today...looks great. Not able to post pics yet because of work but here is a brief description. Riddell Kra Lite RAC-K2 Aero-Cell helmet. Date is 1968. Has the 12 point suspension minus the crown pad. Jaw pads missing, and as expected no facemask. Strip of tape pulled off that can clearly be seen on the inside back of the helmet, guessing his name on tape was applied there then removed at some point. Outside of the helmet shows tremendous wear, and lines up perfect with every pic that shows him wearing the little Raiders decal in front. Transfer mark colors show white, green, red and a heavy blue/green color near the back #3. Thanks SPEEDKILL21 for pointing out the 1969 year, I'm sticking with most use coming from that year, and that was still an AFL playoff year, and a big game against Buffalo with 6 TD passes. Lamonica had another MVP season this year too.

Comment

• bgakladd
                            • Dec 2007

Late 1960's Daryle Lamonica Raiders Helmet
                            Attached Files

Comment

• JDubbs73
                              • Dec 2011

Just read through the updates and saw the photos...congrats! It's a beautiful helmet.

Comment

Working...