PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Pettitte and the HOF

d2ray13
01-16-2014, 03:10 PM
i think i've answered my own question just by looking at the amount of votes biggio got- and he simply played in the "steroid era", andy actually admitted to using... but with all of pettitte's accolades and accomplishments; would you put him in the hall? or is it safe to say anyone that played, or used, in that era has been written off?

Roady
01-16-2014, 04:45 PM
Admitted PED user = NO

emann
01-16-2014, 08:08 PM
I think he is borderline even without the PEDs... Kind of like Posada (not saying he used PEDs), I think they're arguably the least deserving candidates from the modern Yankees dynasty era.

ldonley
01-17-2014, 06:56 PM
Pettitte might get into the HOF someday.

I'd look at the voting this year for Mike Mussina. Majority of their careers overlapped, partly playing for the same team, etc, etc.

Through 18 year careers, Mussina started 15 more games than Pettitte. He had more wins, less hits/9 innings, less walks/9 innings, lower WHIP, lower ERA. Showed up similarly in AS games and Cy balloting.

Pettitte started 44 post-season games to Mussina's 21 starts. Mussina's pitching stats improved in the post-season, Pettitte's K's/9 dropped, WHIP increased, ERA largely unchanged.

With Mussina not connected to steroids, and Andy an admitted user, I'd project Pettitte's HOF voting on his first ballot to be lower than Mussina's 20.3% he received this year.

They certainly both could get in, but I would really expect Mussina's 'wait' to be shorter. But MLB doesn't let me vote.