PDA

View Full Version : Team Issued Home run Ball

johnsontravis@ymail.com
01-19-2014, 08:04 PM
MLB Authentication: EK175568

The Orioles are currently auctioning of a home run baseball that is team issued. I have never seen this and was just curious what others thought.

To me I don't like it. While the story in the authentication system is believable I think it shouldn't be allowed. The authenticator is going of what someone else said and if this becomes the norm mistakes could be made.

If this is aloud can teams photomatch and then call it a team issued home run jersey? Can they say they only made one of that type of jersey for a certain player and claim its game used?

I find the whole situation very interesting.

marino13
01-19-2014, 08:47 PM
Team ISSUED and HR ball - that is just as oxymoron as it comes.

They might have mis-label it as team issued. It should have been game used if anything.

This situations happened many times in the past, especially when it comes to the Tigers. All of the HR balls were retrieved by security and then hand over to the authenticator by the dugout. (Unless they have another authenticator who sat in the bullpen, then that would be another story)

johnsontravis@ymail.com
01-19-2014, 09:52 PM
Team ISSUED and HR ball - that is just as oxymoron as it comes.

They might have mis-label it as team issued. It should have been game used if anything.

This situations happened many times in the past, especially when it comes to the Tigers. All of the HR balls were retrieved by security and then hand over to the authenticator by the dugout. (Unless they have another authenticator who sat in the bullpen, then that would be another story)

I know when they did a big news piece on it back in 2007ish they mentioned how there was one by the dugout and one in the bullpen. But I Dont know how widely used that is now.

coxfan
01-20-2014, 07:34 AM
When the rangers won their first-ever home postseason game in 2010, the last ball in the game was authenticated as having been given by the Texas outfielder to Nolan Ryan, who sent it to the authenticator. Apparently authentications have some discretion, provided the manner of delivery is spelled out. But I think "team-issued" is incorrect. I think it probably should have been "player-issued"or something similar (I've forgotten the actual phrase for this, but there is one.)

coxfan
01-20-2014, 05:46 PM
MLB.com is advertising at least three HR balls now: EK 798727 EK785113 and EK305048. Two of these were retrieved by others and brought to the authenticator, who noted who retrieved the ball. One of them was observed falling back into play by the authenticator. All three are marked "game-used".

emann
01-20-2014, 05:58 PM
I think it probably should have been "player-issued"or something similar (I've forgotten the actual phrase for this, but there is one.)

"Player collected"