PDA

View Full Version : Player collector which would you rather have?

bdeol44
01-22-2014, 03:13 AM
Hey guys,

I'm debating back and forth with myself if I should try to inquire 2 game used jerseys(home+away) of my favorite player or if I should just hunt for 1 jersey of my favorite player from a significant game?

The price point would be approximately the same, wether I go for 2 home/away gamers or 1 significant gamer.

So please chime in with your opinions, knowledge and experience.

Thank you as always!

perlman9
01-22-2014, 05:47 AM
Games don't matter much to me in my opinion unless it was something HUGE, so for me I would think the matching set would be awesome. Also, if the significant game is premium priced, may be more likely to be around longer for future purchase where the other two if standard pricing for that player may be gone.. so more of a chance to land all three I would think. But without knowing player or significance hard to say. Also, seems the higher profile the player the higher the premium for the special jerseys so I collect Michigan State alumni and aside from Plaxico's Super Bowl catch jersey, can't see any of the common guys jerseys going for much more even if a special TD, etc..

jmeekins33
01-22-2014, 02:11 PM
Generally speaking I would rather have 1 jersey that came from a significant game. Exactly how significant the game was and the provenance would be important though.

gorilla777
01-22-2014, 03:31 PM
I would target getting one tied to a specific event or accomplishment, as it will hold up and differentiates it nicely from any other jerseys.

Birdbats
01-22-2014, 04:01 PM
IMO, the game or event would have to be extremely significant for the long-term value of one jersey to surpass the value of two jerseys.

jmeekins33
01-22-2014, 05:30 PM
Birdbats brings up a good point. Just to clarify, my earlier response was about what I would rather have without looking at it from an investment standpoint. That might be something you want to think about.

gingi79
01-22-2014, 07:04 PM
I'm a player collector as you can see by my signature. Neither player will have a milestone like 500 Homers or 500 Goals. When I consider that, I'd rather have a home and away jersey of either guy than a jersey Salo played his 750th game in or Diaz hit his 100th HR in.

bravesfanjd
01-22-2014, 11:16 PM
I know that I would never sell my chipper jones stuff unless I had to so in that sense I would probably want quantity of jerseys or bats versus milestone stuff because since I would never sell it I wouldn't worry about increasing value and I think it would be cooler to own a home and away jersey of my favorite player versus just one jersey

Josh

HawaiiSportsNut
01-23-2014, 04:39 AM
Being a collector of Kurt Suzuki memorabilia I have never thought about collecting a jersey of a significant event. I mainly try to collect a jersey just because it once belonged to Kurt. Thinking about it I realized that I have the last jersey that Kurt wore when he was #8 during his first stint with the A's. I also have the last jersey that he wore with the A's while wearing the #22 (Postseason jersey).

I also have his 2013 opening day jersey with the Nationals & his last jersey with the Nats before being traded back to the A's.

The funny thing about it all is that Kurt never played in any of the games while wearing those jerseys. So you can see that there is nothing "SIGNIFICANT" about the jersey except for the fact the they are in "MY" collection & that I prize them for what they are.

bdeol44
01-26-2014, 05:59 PM
All great points. Thanks for your time and insight guys!