PDA

View Full Version : Tanaka goes to the Yankees

cjw
01-22-2014, 11:37 AM
http://m.mlb.com/news/2014/01/22/66923096/masahiro-tanaka-accepts-seven-year-155-million-contract-from-new-york-yankees

GameUsedGR61
01-22-2014, 01:47 PM
As a Yankees fan, I am excited because we need to improve our pitching staff but not sure what we are getting

It could be another Igawa or we may get lucky and get a Darvish

gameused
01-22-2014, 05:01 PM
What I noticed with Japanese pitchers that are successful in Japan and make it to the MLB is that they may be good the first and second years, but eventually the MLB hitters will figure them out.

Roady
01-22-2014, 05:24 PM
The Japanese players have to projected like a AAA or even AA player.

He really looks good but don't expect him to put up numbers like he did in Japan.

Roady
01-22-2014, 05:42 PM
Ichiro Averaged .359 in 7 years in Japan.

His first 7 years in MLB he averaged .333

That's a 26 point difference.

He was still great but not as great.

Hoosier39
01-22-2014, 06:36 PM
For that money, I would have spent it on someone that is a proven pitcher in the US. Too much risk.

Good for him tho to get that contract.

TNTtoys
01-23-2014, 03:18 PM
For that money, I would have spent it on someone that is a proven pitcher in the US. Too much risk.

Good for him tho to get that contract.

I'm completely with you on this one. He's getting $155 and his former team is getting $20. That's $175 over 7 years paid out by the Yankees (or $25 million per year). Why not put that kind of money towards David Price??? He's a former Cy Young Award winner and arguably cheaper?!!

yanks12025
01-23-2014, 03:34 PM
David Price ain't a free agent!

marino13
01-23-2014, 08:06 PM
1. The Yankees have scouted him since 2007. So, this is NOT an overnight decision. They know what they are doing.

2. Tanaka is not Irabu (RIP) or Igawa or even Dice-K. He is BETTER than Yu Darvish. Ask any RANGERS fan how Yu is.

3. As far as long term - the only thing I am not agree with is the opt-out option.

4. My prediction - he will step in as number 1 starter and next thing you know, his gamers will be UNTOUCHABLE. I guess I will stick with game used baseballs from his first game. :D

TNTtoys
01-23-2014, 08:57 PM
1. The Yankees have scouted him since 2007. So, this is NOT an overnight decision. They know what they are doing.

2. Tanaka is not Irabu (RIP) or Igawa or even Dice-K. He is BETTER than Yu Darvish. Ask any RANGERS fan how Yu is.

3. As far as long term - the only thing I am not agree with is the opt-out option.

4. My prediction - he will step in as number 1 starter and next thing you know, his gamers will be UNTOUCHABLE. I guess I will stick with game used baseballs from his first game. :D

He was 17 yrs old in 2007 (?)

And I have never read an article that compares him to Darvish that doesn't conclude that Darvish is better.

GameUsedGR61
01-23-2014, 09:45 PM
I'm completely with you on this one. He's getting $155 and his former team is getting $20. That's $175 over 7 years paid out by the Yankees (or $25 million per year). Why not put that kind of money towards David Price??? He's a former Cy Young Award winner and arguably cheaper?!!

There really isn't much out there in the free agent market. It was rumored that they were going to use Brett Gardner as a trade piece with a prospect(Mason Williams or Gary Sanchez) to get a pitcher but it never happened.

I think the only pitchers out there are innings eaters like Bronson Arroyo type pitchers

Supposedly David Price has stated he never wants to play for the Yankees because he does not want to shave his beard but I think money talks haha http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/shaving-face-rays-ace-full-praise-yanks-article-1.1269757

Hoosier39
01-23-2014, 09:54 PM
There really isn't much out there in the free agent market. It was rumored that they were going to use Brett Gardner as a trade piece with a prospect(Mason Williams or Gary Sanchez) to get a pitcher but it never happened.

I think the only pitchers out there are innings eaters like Bronson Arroyo type pitchers

Supposedly David Price has stated he never wants to play for the Yankees because he does not want to shave his beard but I think money talks haha http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/shaving-face-rays-ace-full-praise-yanks-article-1.1269757

I personally would have signed Santana to a 3 year deal at 13 mil a year and call it a day. Would have saved money on other players.

No need to spend that much money on someone that has zero experience pitching in the US. Way too much risk. Sometimes you just have to learn to walk away. I don't blame the other teams.

joelsabi
01-23-2014, 11:02 PM

I hope you are right. Sabathia is pitching more like a #2 starter now. Still think the Yanks need one more SP.

Phil316
01-24-2014, 12:13 AM
Over 1300 innings and he is only 24. Have at it New York :)

GameUsedGR61
01-24-2014, 02:27 AM
I personally would have signed Santana to a 3 year deal at 13 mil a year and call it a day. Would have saved money on other players.

No need to spend that much money on someone that has zero experience pitching in the US. Way too much risk. Sometimes you just have to learn to walk away. I don't blame the other teams.

If you are talking about Ervin Santana, apparently the Yankees have no interest in him. They were saying on Yankees Hot Stove, which is a show that talks about Yankees signings..etc, that Santana would cost the yankees a draft pick and that he was a phil hughes type pitcher who gives up a lot of HRs. His last three starts at Yankee stadium, yankees batted .343/.427/.557 against him.

Honestly i think they want to start building their minor league system and they signed Tanaka to get fans into the stadium.