Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xpress34
    • Sep 2008

Man Cave Make Over

Slowly swapping out (upgrading) all of my Walmart 'Lockers' ($25.00 - 5 Shelf Black Bookcases) for IKEA 'Lockers' ($150.00 'Hemnes' - Espresso Bookcases).

Taller, Wider, Deeper - and made of REAL Wood, not particle board. Look much nicer as well.

Also selling off my Oakley Cases and buying IKEA 'Detolf' Cases (only $69 ea!) as they are easier to rearrange and look nice with the Hemnes Bookcases.

I also got one 'Pax' corner closet unit (Musial Jersey) to tie it together - can't fit a second one in the other corner...

Just wanted to share if anyone needs ideas.

** On the Hemnes cases, I mounted the 'fixed' shelf lower so the opening could accomodate my bat/ball cases from Michaels. **
    Attached Files
  • ctempleton
    • Sep 2013

Re: Man Cave Make Over

awesome setup. I just did the same thing on shelving. you always think you have enough room until a few months later when you find new items lol

I just had a shadow box coffee table custom built, cant wait to see how it looks in the man cave with some of my game used items in it

Comment

• amgmap
      • Apr 2006

Very nice! I did the same thing and picked up one of the Detolf cases to display some of my Zimmerman items in. I still have to add the display light to the top, but I really like how it turned out.

Washington Nationals, Ryan Zimmerman, Bryce Harper
      http://s927.photobucket.com/user/amgmap/library/
      amgmap@gmail.com

Comment

• esigs
        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by xpress34
        Slowly swapping out (upgrading) all of my Walmart 'Lockers' ($25.00 - 5 Shelf Black Bookcases) for IKEA 'Lockers' ($150.00 'Hemnes' - Espresso Bookcases).

Taller, Wider, Deeper - and made of REAL Wood, not particle board. Look much nicer as well.

Also selling off my Oakley Cases and buying IKEA 'Detolf' Cases (only $69 ea!) as they are easier to rearrange and look nice with the Hemnes Bookcases.

I also got one 'Pax' corner closet unit (Musial Jersey) to tie it together - can't fit a second one in the other corner...

Just wanted to share if anyone needs ideas.

** On the Hemnes cases, I mounted the 'fixed' shelf lower so the opening could accomodate my bat/ball cases from Michaels. **
        Thanks for sharing. You can clearly see the difference on the shelves' quality, and they look really nice!

Is the 1902 Cleveland hat you have game used and from the same player as the jersey/pants? If so, where did you get it from? Was it directly from Kris? I have the jersey, pants & belt, but have not been able to find the hat.

Comment

• tom1315
          • Mar 2008

Smitty, very nicely done! Love the pairings and the mannequins…really sharp look and shows well.

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 alumni

Comment

• abstractheory
            • Apr 2010

Never nice! Can't wait until my basement is finished so I can move my stuff into it.

Comment

• xpress34
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by ctempleton
              awesome setup. I just did the same thing on shelving. you always think you have enough room until a few months later when you find new items lol

I just had a shadow box coffee table custom built, cant wait to see how it looks in the man cave with some of my game used items in it
              Thanks! Let's see that table when it's done!

Comment

• xpress34
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by amgmap
                Very nice! I did the same thing and picked up one of the Detolf cases to display some of my Zimmerman items in. I still have to add the display light to the top, but I really like how it turned out.

Thanks! Yeah, the Detolf are inexpensive, quick and easy to assemble and they look really nice.

Also, the shelf spacing is awesome for helmets or larger items!

Comment

• xpress34
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by esigs
                  Thanks for sharing. You can clearly see the difference on the shelves' quality, and they look really nice!

Is the 1902 Cleveland hat you have game used and from the same player as the jersey/pants? If so, where did you get it from? Was it directly from Kris? I have the jersey, pants & belt, but have not been able to find the hat.
                  Thanks!

Yes the 1902 uni is from Kris - it's Giambi's. The hat is an unused 'extra'. I told Kris for the cost of the uni, I wanted a hat as well and he dug one up, so it came with everything else. Need to buy some black baseball socks to finish it out.

Comment

• xpress34
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by tom1315
                    Smitty, very nicely done! Love the pairings and the mannequins…really sharp look and shows well.

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 alumni

Tom -

Thanks! I like groupings (pairings) and usually go for Jersey, Hat, Bat and Ball. I have a few complete unis (Pants, Belt, etc) as well as some Helmets.

Comment

• onlyalbert
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by xpress34
                      Thanks! Yeah, the Detolf are inexpensive, quick and easy to assemble and they look really nice.

Also, the shelf spacing is awesome for helmets or larger items!
                      Smitty, can you email me? I have questions about your "lockers". Wanting to do the same thing for my Matt Adams stuff. Looking for dimensions of what you had and what you have now. And where to get that Detolf. Thanks.

Lakeside62401 at Hotmail dot com

Comment

• xpress34
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by abstractheory
                        Never nice! Can't wait until my basement is finished so I can move my stuff into it.
                        'Never' Nice? I'm guessing (hoping) that was supposed to be 'Very' nice...

That said, my basement is unfinished. I just laid a cheap (FREE) piece of carpet (it's blue, would prefer Green - since it's baseball) down and lined the room with cases.

Whenever I do decide to finish the basement, it's going to be an undertaking!

Comment

• abstractheory
                          • Apr 2010

Yes...Very nice, indeed

Comment

• xpress34
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by abstractheory
                            Yes...Very nice, indeed
                            Hahahaha....

Comment

• xpress34
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by onlyalbert
                              Smitty, can you email me? I have questions about your "lockers". Wanting to do the same thing for my Matt Adams stuff. Looking for dimensions of what you had and what you have now. And where to get that Detolf. Thanks.

Lakeside62401 at Hotmail dot com
                              I'll measure them and post that info HERE in case anyone else wants to know as well.

The 'Detolf' is an IKEA case. If you don't have an IKEA near you, you can probably order it on-line to be shipped to you.

I'll eMail to see what other questions you have.

Comment

Working...