PDA

View Full Version : 1972 Braves Sand Knit Jersey - Made for Player's Wives!

commando
02-11-2014, 11:23 PM
The 1972 Braves Sand Knit jerseys are legendary with vintage collectors... They were lightweight, shrunk when washed, and simply did not hold up to Major League game wear. Nice example are nearly impossible to find today.

On Ebay right now is an interesting example that is being sold by the wife of player Jim Breazeale. She states that the team gave it to her for a husbands vs. wives softball game. Frankly, it is very similar to the jerseys worn by the players, but I have noticed a couple of things that support the idea that the team had a set of jerseys ordered specifically for the wives.

Looking at the back photo of the shirt, I can see two rectagles sewn in the neckline, but not a third one, which should have been the player and set tag. Another dead giveaway here is the size tag, not to mention the size of the jersey itself. The jersey is tagged a "Medium" instead of a numeric size. Add to that the fact that Jim Breazeale was 6' 2" and 210 pounds, and you know this jersey could not have been made for him.

Mrs. Breazeale openly states that the team gave her the jersey for the game, but there's always a chance that it was used in a "real" game beforehand... But because of the size and two tagging inconsistencies, I believe the team made a special set just for the wives.

ironmanfan
02-12-2014, 01:24 PM
Neat item for sure. I wonder if the 1973 Braves yearbook has pictures from the event? The Orioles generally would devote a couple pages every year from the husband/wives game the season prior.

ksfarmboy
02-12-2014, 06:54 PM
The neckline looks different to me or maybe it's hard to tell from that picture. Here is my 72.

G1X
02-12-2014, 08:08 PM
The Braves wore that particular design from 1972 through 1975, but the 1972 game jerseys is, technically, a one-year style in that it was the only season that they had the two-button neck. The neck design changed in 1973 as there were no buttons, just a pullover with a V-neck (looks like the neck on the wives' softball game jersey posted by Anthony).

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League uniforms

commando
02-12-2014, 08:32 PM
Interesting points, guys.... This jersey is the "V neck" without the two buttons. Jim Breazeale did not play for the Braves after 1972, so this may have technically been the first batch of jerseys that the club received featuring the buttonless V neck style.

I guess I should also clarify that "2" was Jim Breazeale's number, which is the main reason why I feel this much-too-small shirt was made for his wife.

both-teams-played-hard
02-12-2014, 09:12 PM
Good information, gentlemen!

esquiresports
02-13-2014, 04:08 PM
This is a very cool item. The style is a 1973 style. In 1974, the Braves changed the script of the "B" in Braves and the numbering style was also change to more of a block font (I am not a font expert so I can't tell you the names).

G1X
02-13-2014, 04:20 PM
This is a very cool item. The style is a 1973 style. In 1974, the Braves changed the script of the "B" in Braves and the numbering style was also change to more of a block font (I am not a font expert so I can't tell you the names).

Great information! I never noticed those differences in all these years of seeing photos of Hank hitting #715 (and other '74/'75 photos) until you pointed it out.

Thanks for the details!

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League uniforms

flaco1801
02-20-2014, 07:54 PM
didnt someone post of the abnormal shrinkage of these Sand Knits...I have a 72 and it is the same texture and quality of a t shirt....these could have been the shrunken remains from the "A" team...

genius
03-10-2014, 03:43 PM
if this jersey is available at a reasonable price I'm looking for a baseball fundraiser "gift basket" item here in Atlanta and this would be a cool item, introduce some g/u to the Little Leaguers!

esquiresports
03-12-2014, 01:54 AM
I meant to post that I contacted the seller to compliment her on the item and to ask if it could be from 1973, since the 1972s had buttons at the top. Here is what she wrote:

Thanks for writing and letting me know, I couldn't remember if it was 1972 or 1973. It could be 1972 because I have a picture with my husband, Eddie Mathews, and Hank Aaron together. Hanks shirt looks like it had buttons and the other 2 where V neck.. Well my husband was with the Braves all season in 1972 and only 4 months in 1973. I was only 18 then, so hard to remember. Thanks again, Trudy