PDA

View Full Version : Early 90's NFL jerseys on EBAY

Utopian2630
12-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Hey everyone,
I found a seller that has a list of 'Game Used' and 'Official Game Jerseys', mostly from the early 90's. The interesting this is, they all have the NOB removed. Also interesting is that some are listed as game jerseys while the others are listed as game used. I emailed the seller about one of the particular jerseys and asked if any remnants of the original NOB remained (meaning it was clear that the NOB was removed and not just blank on the back). He responeded by saying that the NOB was removed, but wouldnt go into detail about it. Also, when I asked for close up pictures he said he couldnt send any because thats the best his camera could do???

Here are the links to the jerseys being auctioned.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZstrike200_4QQhtZ-1

Notice how some are listed as authentic jerseys and others are listed as game worn, honestly they both look the same to me since its interesting that on all of them the NOB doesnt exist.

Any thoughts? It seems the guy generally deals in college game worn jerseys.

34swtns
12-13-2006, 12:11 AM
Hi and thanks for the link. Those are some interesting items indeed. The only ones I can comment on with any certainty are the Bears and Buccaneers jerseys. They're definitely retail authentics and not team issued.

Utopian2630
12-13-2006, 10:09 AM
You know, I thought they could be retail authentics, (but I am not that well versed in early 90's NFL jerseys so I wouldnt really know for sure). What I thought was really odd was they they all had the NOB removed. I politely asked him if he could send me close up pictures of several of them to see the game use and remnants of the NOB he said he couldn't because of his camera. I wonder where these jerseys came from? Do you think they could be some sort of samples?

lon lewis
12-13-2006, 06:11 PM
utopian2630

after a casual look at the jerseys most if not all appear to be "retail" varieties of nfl jerseys especially those wilson jerseys with the pro line tags. some aren't even close to actual game jerseys the vikings jersey is a good example. as for the "sample" question, probably not. more than likely these were either someones collection of jerseys of the retail variety or simply left over retail stock that was sold off for whatever reason.

Nilbog
12-14-2006, 12:06 AM
Back in the early 90's, there was an extra charge ($20) to get the name on the back of an "authentic" jersey. I knew many friends that did not pay for the nameplate so that can be one explanation for the missing names. Also, the Falcons never wore Starter and the Cowboys did not wear Wilson in 96.

beavisrules
12-14-2006, 10:52 PM
Hi and thanks for the link. Those are some interesting items indeed. The only ones I can comment on with any certainty are the Bears and Buccaneers jerseys. They're definitely retail authentics and not team issued.

hey, I got a couple questions about Bears jerseys I was hoping you could help me out with:

1. what year did they switch from Wilson to champion jerseys? was it 1990 or 91? how long did they stick with champion?
2. what year did they switch to sewn lettering? 95, 96, later?

thanks for your help - I appreciate it

34swtns
12-17-2006, 09:26 AM
Bears Team Jerseys, 1980's to Present

1980's: Wilson (Heat-pressed name, #'s)
1990-'92: Wilson (Heat-pressed name, #'s, NFL shield on neckline)
1993-'96: Champion (1993 is the last year the Bears wore heat-pressed names and numbers. It's also the first year of Champion team issued jerseys. Thus it's the only year available in which Champion made heat pressed jerseys for the Bears. The Bears went to sewn numbers starting in 1994).
1997-2000 Nike (NFL shield on neckline )
2001: Reebok (NFL shield on neckline, square "helmet" jocktag )
2002-Present:: Reebok (NFL Equipment shield on neckline, rectangular jocktag)