PDA

View Full Version : Oddball finding on Maddux All-Star Jersey

Chess2899
02-13-2014, 01:07 PM
I went through a bunch of my game used Maddux jerseys today. I had purchased the 1995 Maddux Jersey directly from Major League Baseball auction on the day of the 1995 All Star game in Texas. It was a charity auction. They took it off the player as soon as they left the field at the end of the game. I also won the Phillies Dykstra and Darren Daulton 's jerseys. At the end of the 7th inning, I saw Lenny dribble pink crap on his jersey and yelled at him not to mess up my jersey.

I received all 3 jerseys from Major League Baseball including their official letters.
The Dykstra had that pink stain crap on it. The Maddux had the 30th Anniversary patch and the 1995 All Star patch. However, the jersey is tagged 1993. I noticed it at the time and wondered why he was wearing an older jersey in the All Star game.

So, how unusual is that? Should I be concerned? Does it devalue the All Star Jersey? I paid $3500 for it. The Ripken went for $6000 and the Nomo went for $9,000.

I am pretty sure he wore it during the All Star game, but didn't know if some of these players use different years jerseys during the All Star jersey.

Thoughts?

onlyalbert
02-13-2014, 09:35 PM
I went through a bunch of my game used Maddux jerseys today. I had purchased the 1995 Maddux Jersey directly from Major League Baseball auction on the day of the 1995 All Star game in Texas. It was a charity auction. They took it off the player as soon as they left the field at the end of the game. I also won the Phillies Dykstra and Darren Daulton 's jerseys. At the end of the 7th inning, I saw Lenny dribble pink crap on his jersey and yelled at him not to mess up my jersey.

I received all 3 jerseys from Major League Baseball including their official letters.
The Dykstra had that pink stain crap on it. The Maddux had the 30th Anniversary patch and the 1995 All Star patch. However, the jersey is tagged 1993. I noticed it at the time and wondered why he was wearing an older jersey in the All Star game.

So, how unusual is that? Should I be concerned? Does it devalue the All Star Jersey? I paid $3500 for it. The Ripken went for $6000 and the Nomo went for $9,000.

I am pretty sure he wore it during the All Star game, but didn't know if some of these players use different years jerseys during the All Star jersey.

Thoughts?

I know it was not uncommon back then that teams made up extra jerseys for the players that made the team. I'm guessing that they assumed the player would be keeping them. And, unlike today, teams went through fewer jerseys per season. It would not surprise me for a team with a frugal ownership to use an old jersey shell for a one use jersey they would not be getting back anyway.

Chess2899
02-14-2014, 02:35 PM
I think you are correct. I checked with a few experts and teams will do that occasionally for All-Star games. Anyway, I feel better about it.

I also feel better that I didn't spend $9000 for Nomo's All Star Jersey because I think the high demand is no mo.

Thank you for the response!