PDA

View Full Version : WARNING - Tom Brady 'Game Issued' Super Bowl Jersey - eBay

paul457
02-16-2014, 12:10 PM
Not that anyone here would be duped, but wanted to throw out a fair warning to all for a fake jersey and also a shady seller.

This Tom Brady 'game issued' Super Bowl jersey went up a few weeks ago on eBay. I immediately saw it (about 5 minutes after the listing started) and emailed the seller for better pictures. No reply. About a half hour went by and I did some research - the two patches looked authentic - what really got me was the SB patch and the fact that it looked real. I've never seen a real one. The jersey had open QB sleeves, shortened waist, size tags 11-48 Q, the fonts and numbers looked consistent with real Pats jerseys. All of those items are generally missed on people faking TB Jerseys. It also had a PSA sticker on it, but with the blurry pictures I couldn't make out the #, and the seller didn't list the # in the description. So with a PSA sticker and a true SB Patch I assumed this got sold through NFL Auctions and somehow it got past me. I hit 'Buy It Now' for full price because at $2k, I felt if it was a real TB SB issued jersey it was worth it - and told him I'd send funds as soon as he provided the PSA # and better pictures of the sleeve cuffs and waist band. I kind of knew where this was heading... because it seemed too good to be true.

Days after the auction ends I get this message:

"I did my research on the nfl sticker and it has nothing available so I just took the sticker off and relisted it"
- gorays21

Unbelievable. Obviously he never got my money. And I was dead on in my assumption.

ORIGINAL LISTING:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tom-Brady-Game-Issued-New-England-Patriots-2012-Super-Bowl-Jersey-Michigan-/321313003547?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4acfbf581b

LATEST LISTING:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tom-Brady-Game-Issued-New-England-Patriots-2012-Super-Bowl-Jersey-Michigan-/321320283599?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad02e6dcf

The sleeve cuffs are inconsistent with the way Reebok cuffs their open sleeves, looks like a custom mom & pop job. And the Shortened waistband does not have the same stitching as TB's real jerseys.

So I'm not really sure where this jersey came from, but the fact that he took off the PSA sticker, took new pictures, and relisted are HUGE red flags. Also the jersey customizations look to be hack jobs vs. the work that's done on his real jerseys. I asked him a million pointed questions and he never answered one of them.

So this post is just a Public Service Announcement - stay away from this jersey. Unless some of the experts here can chime in and give some insight on this piece to back the seller's story.

Phil316
02-16-2014, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Those eBay links will not stay up forever so we need to save the original listings description and pictures. I will do that when I get home from work if someone has not done it sooner. Once again thanks

Phil316
02-16-2014, 06:05 PM
The first 3 pictures are the original listing.

Phil316
02-16-2014, 06:07 PM
The last 3 are the current listing as he used the back picture in both. Notice the PSA/DNA sticker was taken off in the 2nd listing as mentioned.

paul457
02-16-2014, 07:51 PM
Awesome - thanks for doing that Phil.

Phil316
02-16-2014, 08:28 PM
No problem. You don't know how many times I have looked at an old post from a couple years ago with eBay links that are no longer active. We need to preserve this kinda stuff in my opinion. Great looking out for us Pats collectors.

Roady
02-16-2014, 09:01 PM
No problem. You don't know how many times I have looked at an old post from a couple years ago with eBay links that are no longer active. We need to preserve this kinda stuff in my opinion. Great looking out for us Pats collectors.
Great job.
I have reported it to Ebay. I suggest anyone reading do the same.

Roady
02-17-2014, 10:03 AM
It was gone but it's back.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321326311437

paul457
02-17-2014, 05:16 PM
Great job.
I have reported it to Ebay. I suggest anyone reading do the same.

I reported it as we'll and left him neutral feedback, stating that the jersey is fishy. Hasn't stopped people from making offers. I should have left him a negative.

He sent my a nasty email because I left him bad feedback and didn't pay... So I really laid into him. Haven't received a response yet...

jhunt28
02-18-2014, 09:00 AM
What's so horrifically wrong with this listing? He's not saying that it's "game worn"...and we have been debating on this site for years as to the true definition of "game issued". I don't think this jersey looks far off his gamer that sold for $40k

Phil316
02-18-2014, 11:22 AM
If the jersey is good why Rip of the PSA/DNA sticker? That does not make any sense.

jhunt28
02-18-2014, 12:16 PM
I have no idea what the PSA sticker originally stated, or why a seller would bother with such an attempt since it's so easily investigated?? I have NEVER seen a game issued Brady jersey in my life...I don't really believe in them...I don't put any value in them...so I guess my point is that this doesn't look far off what a Brady jersey looks like, so it would be a nice pickup to have a "model" for a fraction of the price of a real gamer, which is all "issued" jerseys are to me anyway.

Phil316
02-18-2014, 03:40 PM
I agree I have never seen a true team issued Brady either. I can say if I met Tom and he said "here Phil is a jersey I never got a chance to wear in a game" I would consider that issued. To me all the others are pro cuts. The value is I guess what one is willing to pay.

paul457
02-18-2014, 09:15 PM
I have no idea what the PSA sticker originally stated, or why a seller would bother with such an attempt since it's so easily investigated?? I have NEVER seen a game issued Brady jersey in my life...I don't really believe in them...I don't put any value in them...so I guess my point is that this doesn't look far off what a Brady jersey looks like, so it would be a nice pickup to have a "model" for a fraction of the price of a real gamer, which is all "issued" jerseys are to me anyway.

The PSA decal started with a 1N and had the NFL logo on it, so that decal was peeled off something that flowed through NFL Auctions. The jersey is not signed, so that PSA label (one would assume) would be there to guarantee that the jersey is an authentic issued Super Bowl jersey (which is how it's being listed).

That's not ok. For that alone, I would never buy something from this crook.

The sleeves in the listing look like they were altered after the fact. So was the waistband. So in reality, they're not even selling a pro-cut jersey, it's a home grown customized (bastardized) pro-cut made to look like a TB jersey. But it's not advertised as such.

I'm not trying to stop the guy from selling a jersey, I'm trying to make people aware of what it is so they know what they're really buying, and they pay a fair price.

BrianK
02-18-2014, 10:23 PM
Just want to add a bit of clarification in case someone else is confused about the PSA/DNA sticker like I was. Comparing to other jerseys, it looks to me like "1N3...." is an NFL Auctions item circa 2007.

Phil316
02-18-2014, 10:27 PM
Interesting. I wonder how that sticker from 2007 could end up on a jersey from 2012? I can only think of one way.

Phil316
02-18-2014, 10:33 PM
I have attached the hem stitching on the Brady in question. It sure looks like a custom home made job to me.

Phil316
02-18-2014, 10:36 PM
Will post it soon as it is too big.

Phil316
02-18-2014, 10:40 PM
The seller is selling a 2007 Braylon Edwards jersey with a nfl auctions letter with PSA. The seller lists the PSA/DNA number 1N38288. Notice no sticker is present on the Edwards jersey? Also notice the numbers on the original listing of the PSA/DNA sticker on the Brady is 1N38.

MarlinsFan1993
02-19-2014, 01:21 AM
Phil I sent you an email please let me know if you got it. Thank you.

Phil316
02-19-2014, 01:29 AM
i did not get it please resend

Phil316
02-19-2014, 01:32 AM
Here is the seams on the inside.

Roady
02-19-2014, 07:11 AM
The seller is selling a 2007 Braylon Edwards jersey with a nfl auctions letter with PSA. The seller lists the PSA/DNA number 1N38288. Notice no sticker is present on the Edwards jersey? Also notice the numbers on the original listing of the PSA/DNA sticker on the Brady is 1N38.

Good catch.

MarlinsFan1993
02-19-2014, 09:28 AM
i did not get it please resend

Phil I just resent the email. Both attempts were sent to your hotmail account. Please let me know if you got it. Thanks.

kudu
02-19-2014, 01:08 PM
Looks to me like the bottom thickness on the "1" on the back of the sellers jersey is thicker than the game photo jersey from 12/4/2011. Bottom Getty photo is from Super Bowl.

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/138324797-quarterback-tom-brady-of-the-new-england-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=Z0zsWpN2ukUDXYqF4boPJYjiqRRi24tUHO%2bdnqdbr0dwzU y%2ffy8VRnUbDB1gxvZnT3IoJjkktmc8SlaJ4VZl%2fA%3d%3d

slats7
02-19-2014, 03:37 PM
The first version he tried to sell was an absolute joke. The number fonts were wrong and were missing the grey trim inside the numbers.

The second version is at least closer to what Brady wore that day, but I wouldn't trust this seller at all.

http://s18.postimg.org/7jl24vxx5/Untitled.jpg

otismalibu
02-19-2014, 04:40 PM
FWIW, the D in BRADY differs in the above photos. One serif vs. two.

kudu
02-19-2014, 06:33 PM
I just noticed the nameplate on the sellers jersey looks a little taller than the game photo jersey. On the game photo jersey, it looks like the letters almost touch the top and bottom of the nameplate edge.

Roady
02-20-2014, 12:59 PM

You would really pay thousands for a fake jersey?

jhunt28
02-20-2014, 01:05 PM
When I write that "I don't put any value in game issued jerseys"...how does that translate in your mind to "I will pay thousands for this jersey"?????

Roady
02-20-2014, 01:32 PM
When I write that "I don't put any value in game issued jerseys"...how does that translate in your mind to "I will pay thousands for this jersey"?????

You said: "I have no idea what the PSA sticker originally stated, or why a seller would bother with such an attempt since it's so easily investigated?? I have NEVER seen a game issued Brady jersey in my life...I don't really believe in them...I don't put any value in them...so I guess my point is that this doesn't look far off what a Brady jersey looks like, so it would be a nice pickup to have a "model" for a fraction of the price of a real gamer, which is all "issued" jerseys are to me anyway."
My mistake if you didn't mean thousands. What price were you talking about when you say a fraction of a $40,000? Because this jersey is being sold for thousands of dollars.

Phil316
02-20-2014, 07:06 PM
Come on fellas no need to have it out :)

We all have opinions and some differ from each other. It's no biggie that we do have those differing of opinions.

I think what jhunt28 was saying is that he is not interested in it but for other people who cannot afford a real gamer that the price is not all that bad.

I had to re-read a couple times to get it.

Hopefully that is what you mean or i have been partaking in to much extra curricular activities today.

woodward30
07-30-2014, 08:39 AM
Back up again:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tom-Brady-Game-Issued-New-England-Patriots-2012-Super-Bowl-Jersey-Michigan-/221509794143?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339303395f

lengthwise1
08-01-2014, 12:57 PM
Back up again:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tom-Brady-Game-Issued-New-England-Patriots-2012-Super-Bowl-Jersey-Michigan-/221509794143?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339303395f

and someone just grabbed it

woodward30
08-01-2014, 02:59 PM
and someone just grabbed it
$700 was the offer accepted. Wow.