PDA

View Full Version : Best Writing Utensil for a GU Helmet?

cfern023
02-17-2014, 11:23 PM
Hey fellas,
Whats the best pen/ marker to get a game used Rawlings Cool Flo helmet signed? Its a black helmet.

I may get a Orange Helmet signed too, but I think a Black Sharpie is best for that.

Some details:

I'll be going to spring training to get is signed, but the player in the past has taken his time on his autographs and doesn't seem to rush. I assume his sig might pool if it's a paint pen.

It'll be probably 70-80 degrees, I've heard in cold temps some pens are junk.

I'd like to avoid a silver sharpie. A helmet I once saw had the autograph just smear off even years after it being signed. Luckily for my friend, he wanted it gone.

I've also heard of some people charging or juicing their pens prior to use, What the heck is that? Are they giving it to Canseco to get it in good enough shape or what lol.

Thanks for any help. I only get one chance to get this signed right, I want it to count.

I put some sentences in bold for those who want the cliff notes version of my post.

THANKS!

cfern023
02-17-2014, 11:48 PM
Has anyone used these before? Infinity Silver Markers

http://www.autographu.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/infinity-800x629-300x235.jpg

wildjimmy
02-17-2014, 11:51 PM
I have gotten some Cubs helmets signed. I do the fine silver paint pen from Michaels. Don't mess with the silver sharpie.

Tips: buy the 2 pack
Get both prepped and ready by pushing in the tip and getting in flowing
Shake it a bunch before signing
I take a small paper towel then draw small mark on a part of the helmet then wipe it off right away
If one fails use the other
I usually have one that writes better and just keep 1 in use

Hope that helps

Rays&Mariners
02-17-2014, 11:57 PM
I like the silver Decocolor pens. Fine Line.

When they say charge them they are just getting them ready for their first use. When you first get them you have to shake them pretty good and keep depressing the tip to gget the ink flowing.

Here are a couple of helmets I had done with them...

Eric

Rays&Mariners
02-18-2014, 12:02 AM
here is a pic of the pen...

Eric

cfern023
02-18-2014, 01:44 AM
I have gotten some Cubs helmets signed. I do the fine silver paint pen from Michaels. Don't mess with the silver sharpie.

Tips: buy the 2 pack
Get both prepped and ready by pushing in the tip and getting in flowing
Shake it a bunch before signing
I take a small paper towel then draw small mark on a part of the helmet then wipe it off right away
If one fails use the other
I usually have one that writes better and just keep 1 in use

Hope that helps

It does, thank you.

I have just one question, which is the Pen you get from michaels? Is it the decocolor one or is it another brand? I saw one for wood yesterday but I don't think that's the one to use.

Thanks!

cfern023
02-18-2014, 01:46 AM
here is a pic of the pen...

Eric

I'd like to use that one, but I can't get it down here in Miami- I looked today. Should I just order off eBay and pray it gets here quick enough? I don't have a set time in going to get the helmet signed but I don't know if I should wait two weeks to get it either.

Thanks for your advise.

rudyjj18
02-18-2014, 09:09 AM
I ordered 2 decocolor paint pens from amazon and had them in a few days.

Rays&Mariners
02-18-2014, 10:56 AM
Dick Blicks art supplies is where I get mine. There is a store in Miami. Maybe given them a try?

http://www.dickblick.com/stores/

Eric

cfern023
02-18-2014, 11:23 AM
I'll try out Dicks. I was at the Utrecht down the street yesterday and didn't know it had a sister store a mile up the road from it. Thanks for the heads up.

wildjimmy
02-18-2014, 02:47 PM
Craftsmart fine line paint pen s the pen I used last time that I referenced in my above lost.

cfern023
02-18-2014, 09:09 PM
Well, after going all aroudn Miami looking for this pen I found it.

One important thing for those looking for the pen the first time- note the color of the DECOCOLOR logo---

Pink = Fine
Blue- Extra Fine

Two places had the Extra fine, but only one had the Fine (pink). The sad part is they only had three, it was mixed in with the Extra fine (and I only found it after double checking).

I grabbed the three silvers they had, and the two blacks they had (incase for the orange helmet).

Another thing- Dicks Blicks is Utrecht, and they didn't carry the Decopens (they kept pushing Sharpie Paint Pens, and Mosohito or something).

Pearles Arts and Crafts had decos, but only the Extra Fine- Maybe they stock the normal one but not today " We havent recieved a shipment of those in months".

Try Pearles if you have one near you. They seem to be more of a NE branch.