PDA

View Full Version : Platinum Jeter Auction, Is it worth the $$$

Chess2899
02-18-2014, 12:07 PM
I noticed that Heritage Auction is ending their Platinum Auction this weekend which includes Jeter's grand slam (only one) used jersey for $13,000 bid so far, the pitching rubber for his 3000th hit for $8500 signed by him and Rivera and his signed rookie bat for $80,000 so far.

I respect him as a player but is he really worth spending $100,000 for a game used rookie bat? Do any of you have one? Do rookie bats really demand so much money if you are a Yankee? Some of these prices seem Ruthian.

What do you all say?

rufusandherschel
02-18-2014, 12:38 PM
I respect him as a player but is he really worth spending $100,000 for a game used rookie bat?

What do you all say?

"A fool and his money are soon parted."

Chess2899
02-18-2014, 12:38 PM
It is a World Series rookie, so I guess the value would be higher.

I collect Greg Maddux, so had Greg signed with the Yankees, I probably would have gone broke buying jerseys and bats.

I am looking forward to Goldins Babe Ruth Auction, because I can't wait to see the stuff but we are going to see incredible final prices. I remember buying nice Babe Ruth ball in the 80s for $500.

I guess Jeter surpassing Ripken in value is a shocker for me.

yanks12025
02-18-2014, 04:08 PM
One word STUPID.

Masimen
02-18-2014, 04:40 PM
I remember when Jeter rookie bats were 500 bucks. Had I only known!

gingi79
02-18-2014, 07:32 PM
Did I read that right? 80 Thousand dollars for a Jeter 96 WS bat? Considering the normal ratio, that means his 2006 World Series jerseys would sell for a half a million dollars. Each.

Jeter is a HOF player, his number will be retired by the Yankees and I respect him as a man and as a player. That being said, No.

KGoldin
02-18-2014, 07:39 PM
$96000 including the 20% buyers premium
As I said the time to sell is now and I expect it to peak in July....right around the time of the Babe Ruth Auction....

ChrisCavalier
02-18-2014, 08:17 PM
Did I read that right? 80 Thousand dollars for a Jeter 96 WS bat? Considering the normal ratio, that means his 2006 World Series jerseys would sell for a half a million dollars. Each.
Very interesting. I am assuming someone reading this thread has a Jeter WS jersey. And, if everything shared here is correct about this being the time to sell, I sure hope we see one in Ruth Auction this July.

-Chris

sforaker
02-23-2014, 09:33 AM
The Jeter 1996 World Series bat sold for over $155,000.

Chess2899
02-23-2014, 11:41 AM
The Jeter 1996 World Series bat sold for over $155,000.

I think my wife would rather have that condo on the Beach on the Gulf.

Unbelievable!

Steeleraddict
02-23-2014, 12:25 PM
Believe me, I'm in the top 1% over overpaying. But 155k? Wow. Can't think of any Steeler item I'd pay for that. Although now that I think about it,I've come close sort of.

Even if i were jeter and wanted it back.....

Nnunnari
02-23-2014, 12:43 PM
What sells for more, that WS bat or the jersey worn in Jeter's MLB debut that a forum member owns?

Chess2899
02-23-2014, 01:59 PM
What sells for more, that WS bat or the jersey worn in Jeter's MLB debut that a forum member owns?

The jersey should easily be more valuable but if that forum member chose to list it, would he be very disappointed if the jersey doesn't match the bat price?

Since the bidding continued to rise on the bat, there are a couple people willing to pay high prices. It only takes one on the other side to really spark the bidding. I have been stuck in that type of war before. Ego vs ego, must have vs must have

stonedylan
02-23-2014, 04:52 PM
The debut jersey will sell for multiples of the rookie world series bat.

Steeleraddict
02-23-2014, 05:10 PM
Def. the jersey under normal circumstances. Everything being equal.
But here were 2 bidders who weren't gonna lose.
Hopefully your buddy can attract those same two bidders.

That's gotta be the record for a modern day GU bat/jersey etc..21st century

KGoldin
02-23-2014, 06:29 PM
Def. the jersey under normal circumstances. Everything being equal.
But here were 2 bidders who weren't gonna lose.
Hopefully your buddy can attract those same two bidders.

That's gotta be the record for a modern day GU bat/jersey etc..21st century

The Ruth Auction will attract every Yankee fan/bidder
hell...the Yankees are playing in the same building that weekend (the sports legends museum is connected to Camden Yards) and we expect several current members of the Yankees to preview the product that weekend on film, and several former players (including 1 recently retired hint hint) to be ON HAND at the preview party and live event.
which is why Chris and I have been pushing to get key yankee items in, even modern ones, EARLY to lock up slots

d2ray13
02-23-2014, 07:16 PM
:cool:

Roady
02-23-2014, 07:27 PM
I like Jeter and I know him getting 3,000 hits is his talent more than just sticking around a long time.
But, he is not the great player people seem to want him to be.
Was he good, yes.
HOF good, oh yes.
One of the best of his time, well probably not.

His own teammate Ichiro was better for his career. Side by side with Jeter, for his career his is a better hitter, a better fielder, and a better base runner.

Not to mention all the other better hitters during his playing time.
If he had not been a Yankee his prices would not be anywhere near what they are. But when you have the most fans in baseball, you have more collectors. Supply and demand.

Roady
02-23-2014, 07:29 PM
Meant to type..."Side by side with Jeter, for his career he is a better hitter, a better fielder, and a better base runner."

Dewey2007
02-23-2014, 09:38 PM
How can you be HOF good but not of of the best of your era? Both are first ballot HOFers for sure but Ichiro doesn't have 5 WS rings and a history for being clutch in the postseason for the most storied franchise in baseball. He's come close but the only thing Jeter doesn't have on his baseball resume is an MVP. Jeter's also the only Yankee to have over 3,000 hits so he's in a class by himself in that sense. I'd say he's the greatest Yankee player since Mantle.

I'd have to guess that his first MLB jersey would go for almost twice what his WS bat did if you get two big time collectors who really want it.

I like Jeter and I know him getting 3,000 hits is his talent more than just sticking around a long time.
But, he is not the great player people seem to want him to be.
Was he good, yes.
HOF good, oh yes.
One of the best of his time, well probably not.

His own teammate Ichiro was better for his career. Side by side with Jeter, for his career his is a better hitter, a better fielder, and a better base runner.

Not to mention all the other better hitters during his playing time.
If he had not been a Yankee his prices would not be anywhere near what they are. But when you have the most fans in baseball, you have more collectors. Supply and demand.

Steeleraddict
02-23-2014, 10:03 PM
So $300,000?
Wow. I'd love to be Ken or the auction house for that commission. Or the consignor.

Roady
02-23-2014, 10:29 PM
How can you be HOF good but not of of the best of your era? Both are first ballot HOFers for sure but Ichiro doesn't have 5 WS rings and a history for being clutch in the postseason for the most storied franchise in baseball. He's come close but the only thing Jeter doesn't have on his baseball resume is an MVP. Jeter's also the only Yankee to have over 3,000 hits so he's in a class by himself in that sense. I'd say he's the greatest Yankee player since Mantle.

I'd have to guess that his first MLB jersey would go for almost twice what his WS bat did if you get two big time collectors who really want it.

He is going to the HOF because of 3,000 hits and +.300 average. And of course 5 WS that he won with his team.

I don't think of Jeter as being a great player on the field. I think of him as being a very good player who was very consistent.
I do think of him as being a great player overall, considering his leadership, constancy, and attitude. I know it sounds nuts but that is the way I think.
I think of Jeter and I compare him to similar stat players like Molitor and Yount. He is a very distant 3rd to those two guys.
Jeter was blessed with talent and to be a Yankee.

Roady
02-23-2014, 10:48 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean Yount, I meant Ripken.
I was thinking of those with 3,000 hits and typed the wrong guy.

Yount was good but Jeter is a better hitter.

Dewey2007
02-23-2014, 11:00 PM
$300K might be a bit on the high side for a modern day player jersey but I'd have to think that his first MLB jersey would be a highly desirable item to a deep-pocketed Yankee fan.

So $300,000?
Wow. I'd love to be Ken or the auction house for that commission. Or the consignor.

d2ray13
02-23-2014, 11:01 PM
He is going to the HOF because of 3,000 hits and +.300 average. And of course 5 WS that he won with his team.

I don't think of Jeter as being a great player on the field. I think of him as being a very good player who was very consistent.
I do think of him as being a great player overall, considering his leadership, constancy, and attitude. I know it sounds nuts but that is the way I think.
I think of Jeter and I compare him to similar stat players like Molitor and Yount. He is a very distant 3rd to those two guys.
Jeter was blessed with talent and to be a Yankee.

how can you say that brother?!!? jeter has a higher career BA than yount, ripken, arod, smith or any star star SS you can think of! ok, yes stat rats, you got me with honus wagner--but even with a legend like that, jeter is only 100 hits or so away from his record of being not only the all time yankee hits leader, but the all time hits leader for shortstops. EVER TO PLAY THE GAME! i believe he is also 3rd all time in games played at shortstop, AND he's also the yankees all time leader in what seems to be every friggin category; and thats the yankees! gehrig, ruth, mantle, dimaggio....come on man! this is derek jeter!!!

he will go down as not only one of the greatest shortstops, but in my opinion, one of the greatest to play the game.

Roady
02-23-2014, 11:04 PM
The first of any players jersey or helmet or shoes or hat or whatever would be a great item to have.
Nothing else could ever satisfy you.

And about Jeter being great, I know he was a great overall player. I am stat guy and am always refining and going over them. Jeter is a HOF player and that is all I need to know.

gorilla777
02-23-2014, 11:09 PM
I am way too biased to comment...;)

Ben

Roady
02-23-2014, 11:26 PM
I am way too biased to comment...;)

Ben

We all have our biases. :)

Bondsgloves
02-24-2014, 12:03 AM
Just my opinion, but did Jeter every win a AL MVP?

At any point could you say he was the best player in the game or even the best shortstop in the game?

WS Rings had a lot to do with being on a great team... Put Jeter on any other team and he is not the same Jeter.

I remeber a poll from other major leaguers and Jeter was considered by his peers as the most over rated players in the game.

I don't even think I would consider him as one of the top 5 all time Yankees.

So for his memorabilia to even reach Ruth, Mantle, Dimaggio, etc... is crazy... :rolleyes:

gorilla777
02-24-2014, 12:15 AM
Oh boy....getting good now.

Bondsgloves
02-24-2014, 12:19 AM
Dont ge me wrong, I am not putting Jeter down.

I just can't see why his items command such high $. Significantly more than any other modern player. Especially compare to guys like Griffey, Frank Thomas, etc..

Nnunnari
02-24-2014, 12:43 AM
Game is on the line. Who is the one player in the 100+ yr history of the game who you want up?

Roady
02-24-2014, 12:53 AM
Game is on the line. Who is the one player in the 100+ yr history of the game who you want up?

Ted Williams

KGoldin
02-24-2014, 12:57 AM
Lou Gehrig
Without a close second

gorilla777
02-24-2014, 01:02 AM
Jose Vizcaino

KGoldin
02-24-2014, 01:05 AM
Jeter ranks very high here.....
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/870141-mlb-postseason-top-50-all-time-hitters-youd-want-up-with-the-game-on-the-lin/page/51

dangerzone79
02-24-2014, 03:28 AM
I live & breath the Boston Red Sox, that being said, nothing scares me more with the game on the line than Jeter poking one of his classic opposite field singles to score the 2 go-ahead runs. His stats alone make him a HOF player, nevermind the leadership, class, staying squeaky clean in his personal life, being the kind of man any father would want his son to be. I can't say why his items command such incredible amounts of money, that's just the market and the growing popularity of game used items maybe. I love this debate and seeing the back & forth, but Jeter is a legend. Period.

And who do I wanna see up with the game on the line? For 11 years David Ortiz has been making me ask "How many times can he come through?!?!" And yes, that comes with bias but I also mean it if I step away from the Boston roots.

Steeleraddict
02-24-2014, 03:54 AM
When I said .. So 300k? That was a reply to the one who said the jersey would be twice that of the bat that just sold. I agree it is high.

Roady
02-24-2014, 06:39 AM
Jeter ranks very high here.....
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/870141-mlb-postseason-top-50-all-time-hitters-youd-want-up-with-the-game-on-the-lin/page/51

He ask, "Game is on the line. Who is the one player in the 100+ yr history of the game who you want up?"
He just say post season.

Roady
02-24-2014, 06:40 AM
I mean
He didn't just say post season.