PDA

View Full Version : Mcgriff 2001 Chicago Cubs GU Jerseys

Flamechicken
02-28-2014, 04:52 PM
Hi all,
It's a little late as both of the auctions have ended, but I wanted to get everyone's opinion on these two McGriff home Cubs jerseys.

http://www.goldinauctions.com/2001-fred-mcgriff-chicago-cubs-game-worn-and-signe-lot7589.aspx

http://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?itemid=65020

They are very similar except for the fact that one is size 46 and the other is a size 50. Has anyone ever seen a player wear such a discrepancy in sizes of jerseys in one half of a season (McGriff was traded to the Cubs in July 2001.)

Historically, McGriff wore a 44 early in his career and a 46 later, I was not aware that he ever wore a size 50. I have a 2001 Rays jersey (photo-matched) that is a 46.

Mike

DeacDoug
02-28-2014, 06:10 PM
Love the Crime Dog. I won the size 50. Funny that the Goldin photo shows the "c" in the nameplate high and the jersey has it low as do the other photos I saw. Not sure what to make of the size difference, but mid-season trades lead to strange jerseys. Perhaps Dave would comment on this as he OK'd my jersey. Guessing that the same guy owned both jerseys and dumped them in different auctions. Can the Crime Dog come back and hit the few homers he needs for 500 and possible HOF status?

Flamechicken
03-01-2014, 12:35 PM
Love the Crime Dog. I won the size 50. Funny that the Goldin photo shows the "c" in the nameplate high and the jersey has it low as do the other photos I saw. Not sure what to make of the size difference, but mid-season trades lead to strange jerseys. Perhaps Dave would comment on this as he OK'd my jersey. Guessing that the same guy owned both jerseys and dumped them in different auctions. Can the Crime Dog come back and hit the few homers he needs for 500 and possible HOF status?

DeacDoug could you PM me when you get the chance.

Mike

DeacDoug
03-01-2014, 01:02 PM
Mike, you can EMail me at BCBuckley@hotmail.com

Flamechicken
03-01-2014, 02:40 PM
Mike, you can EMail me at BCBuckley@hotmail.com

I just sent an email.

Mike

Phil316
03-01-2014, 06:29 PM
Interesting Cubs jersey. The inside wash tag from the Goldin auctions pictures looks new, so does the front Cubs crest and lower size 50 tag. The back name looks frayed and worn but little wear on the back numbers.

PLUS

Here is a McGriff home dodgers jersey from 2003 (2 years after he played with the cubs). Comes with a Dodgers Team COA. It is a size 46.

http://catalog.scpauctions.com/lot-14113.aspx

I think the Goldin Fred McGriff is bad. I would be returning that one.

Chess2899
03-01-2014, 08:41 PM
Interesting Cubs jersey. The inside wash tag from the Goldin auctions pictures looks new, so does the front Cubs crest and lower size 50 tag. The back name looks frayed and worn but little wear on the back numbers.

PLUS

Here is a McGriff home dodgers jersey from 2003 (2 years after he played with the cubs). Comes with a Dodgers Team COA. It is a size 46.

http://catalog.scpauctions.com/lot-14113.aspx

I think the Goldin Fred McGriff is bad. I would be returning that one.

Size does matter.

slab0meat
03-01-2014, 09:16 PM
The first thing I noticed, which was mentioned, was the the "C" is low on the jersey, but high in the photo. That tells you something right there.

And for what it's worth, which might be very little, I have a used BP jersey of his, when he was with Tampa Bay, and it's a size 46.

Phil316
03-01-2014, 09:21 PM
All the Fred McGriffs I have seen have been 44 and 46.

Flamechicken
03-01-2014, 09:26 PM
Here is an updated link to the Huggins and Scott auction:

http://feb14.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?itemid=65020

Phil316
03-01-2014, 10:25 PM
I am confused. Dave signed off on both home 2001 jersey's but both are sized different?

The one in Huggins looks good to me.

Dave should definitely chime in here.

Flamechicken
03-01-2014, 10:34 PM
The first thing I noticed, which was mentioned, was the the "C" is low on the jersey, but high in the photo. That tells you something right there.

And for what it's worth, which might be very little, I have a used BP jersey of his, when he was with Tampa Bay, and it's a size 46.

I took a look at photos on Getty, the Cubs placed the "C" high and low during the 2001 season, which is interesting. Why change?

Mike

DeacDoug
03-02-2014, 08:26 AM
This discussion motivated me to finally open the Fred box. Dave inspected the jersey 12/30/13 and states that "the jersey exhibits evidence of light game use and appears to be all original."

The jersey does look very fresh to me, but I am no expert on determining wear where not obvious. The jersey does have as good a Crime Dog autograph as you'll ever get.

DeacDoug
03-02-2014, 08:46 AM
A review of the photo showing McGriff wearing the size 46 jersey reveals that it is too short for him.

jbean023
03-02-2014, 11:45 AM
First off, does anyone know who won the Huggins jersey?

The one on Goldin had me scratching my head, I do believe it's good just maybe for a game or two to experiment. My first thoughts with seeing the set tag having a missing number was it was his Cubs debut jersey. Cubs debut jerseys I've seen with no set tags, set tags with numbers that don't match at all, and some that are the normal strip tag. I looked and this jersey does not match the debut jersey. I would say the collectors comments about being to short is good possibility. I collect different teams and a sz 50 for one team isn't the same sz 50 for another. Dave will chime in with his thoughts but those are mine.

Flamechicken
03-02-2014, 12:20 PM
I won the Huggins jersey. I was able to photo match it to his first home game with the Cubs.

It does not have a "set year" tag.

I compared the length to an away Dodgers size 46 and its the same length, both made by Majestic.

Mike

DeacDoug
03-02-2014, 12:38 PM
My size 50 jersey is set 1. The jersey is amazingly heavy; must have gotten real hot for Cubbies' day game. Majestic hadn't gone to Cool Breeze yet.

Phil316
03-02-2014, 04:19 PM
Hopefully the issue gets resolved for you soon.

jbean023
03-02-2014, 08:19 PM
I won the Huggins jersey. I was able to photo match it to his first home game with the Cubs.

It does not have a "set year" tag.

I compared the length to an away Dodgers size 46 and its the same length, both made by Majestic.

Mike

Mike,

Will you shoot me an email please?

Flamechicken
03-02-2014, 11:40 PM
Mike,

Will you shoot me an email please?

Email sent.

Mike

sox83cubs84
03-03-2014, 09:32 PM
Chiming in here, one and all....I've been battling the flu for several days.

The size 50 jersey bears a Cubs "extra jersey" tag in the collar that is fully legitimate...size, year and set, but o uniform number. My belief is that is made for the Crime Dog, worn a handful of times, and subsequently not worn by him.

As far as Cubs collar tagging styles go, there is the one on the McGriff being discussed (3 IDs), the standard Majestic strip tag with 4 ID (the first of which was a uniform number), and occasional tagless versions such as the one in the Huggins & Scott auction, issued to midseason newcomers, of which McGriff was one

The 2000 Cubs gamers used the same ID sequences, but a different embroidery font, as the 2000 unies were subcontracted to Wilson, who used their tagging font. These, being subcontracted to Wilson, also do not have the interior 0062 tag, as both McGriffs do. Finally, 46 and 50 are both team only sizes, not sold via retail means.

Finally, I'm confident enough in the jersey that, if the winning bidder is unsatisfied, I will but the jersey from them at their cost. This is not a normal procedure of mine, but, I will go one step further in this instance.

Any more question? Just post 'em, and I'll try to answer 'em.

Dave Miedema

Flamechicken
03-03-2014, 11:00 PM
Dave,
Thanks for your response and the basis of your opinion.

Mike

Phil316
03-03-2014, 11:02 PM
Dave hope you are feeling better as I know the flu can literally put you out.

Regarding the jersey in question.

You authenticated another McGriff same year home white but that one is a size 46. Size 46 is consistent with all McGriff gamers from later in his career including 2001, 2002 and 2003. A size 50, even a size 48 is unheard of from McGriff.

Any chance a mistake was made in authenticating the size 50? Did you take the fact you authenticated a size 46 as being worn by him in the same year? It would be odd to have sizing that far off in the same year, Or find you just go by the tagging?

To be clear I have never seen a size 50 worn by Fred McGriff.

Hoosier39
03-03-2014, 11:30 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/archive/index.php/t-44613.html

DeacDoug
03-04-2014, 07:14 AM
Thanks for your response Dave. I am the owner of the size 50. That means I may have the only size 50 McGriff jersey and Flamechicken has the only raised C McGriff Cubs jersey. I will keep mine.

Pretty sloppy style matching by Goldin Auctions. My only question to Dave is whether he knows if both jerseys originated with same consignor?

sox83cubs84
03-04-2014, 08:32 PM
Thanks for your response Dave. I am the owner of the size 50. That means I may have the only size 50 McGriff jersey and Flamechicken has the only raised C McGriff Cubs jersey. I will keep mine.

Pretty sloppy style matching by Goldin Auctions. My only question to Dave is whether he knows if both jerseys originated with same consignor?

Doug:

I was not made aware of who the consignor of either/both jerseys was. The only time a name gets involved with the information I use in examining a jersey is team/family/player provenance, which I'll still research anyway. I do not know the identity of the consignor in over 95% of the items I look at for Goldin and Huggins & Scott, and would prefer it that way...I want to analyze the item by its characteristics, not the identity of the owner/consignor.

Phil:

The tags are, indeed, what swayed me.

Dave M.

Phil316
03-04-2014, 11:05 PM
Phil:

The tags are, indeed, what swayed me.

Dave M.

Thanks for the answer. I just want to say that I do not agree with your assessment on the jersey as being worn by Fred McGriff. I do respect your dedication to authenticating and doing your best to get it right though. Offering to buy it back for what he paid is pretty stand up in my opinion.

If it was me and I won the jersey I would not be happy. However I did not win the jersey and it seems the winner is happy with what he bought.