Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eric
    • Jan 1970

Getty Images are now free

Good news for style matching and photo matching…

Down goes the paywall. Getty Images, the world’s largest photo service, is opening up the bulk of its photo collection for free. Internet users will be...
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...
  • frikativ54
    • Dec 2007

Re: Getty Images are now free

At first, I was pinching myself, thinking, "It's not April Fool's yet, is it?"

Thanks for sharing this, Eric. This is great news!
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Comment

• allstarsplus
      • Nov 2005

When they give us the ability to download in Hi Res then it will be a breakthrough and I doubt that will happen.

As far as I know MLB still has the rights to any MLB photo on Getty and its expensive to legally obtain the Hi Res photos. I know this since I buy several a year and found out last year how expensive it was to do an exclusive photo.
      Regards,
      Andrew Lang
      AllstarsPlus@aol.com
      202-716-8500

Comment

• NYRangers
        • Jul 2006

A good start indeed.
        That said, let me know if you can help with a high-res of a specific image I am looking for.
        Thanks!
        rangers8588
        (At)
        icloud.com

Comment

• Preston
          • Mar 2010

This is all great but I wish this applied to images that were currently on the site as well.

Comment

• danesei@yahoo.com
            • Feb 2014

I can understand not releasing the "hi-res" library for multiple reasons, but I don't quite grasp what they did. So the images on site still have the ridiculous watermark, but if someone pays for the image... it still won't have the watermark? I'm pretty much lost on this. The only thing I got from it was that Getty won't sue eBay folks who use their images anymore.

Comment

• allstarsplus
              • Nov 2005

Getty just Tweeted this out:

Getty Images ‏@GettyImages 5m
              NEW: Getty Images Embed lets you share tens of millions of images - try it out here! http://bit.ly/1ievSgm #gettyinfocus #embed
              Regards,
              Andrew Lang
              AllstarsPlus@aol.com
              202-716-8500

Comment

• allstarsplus
                • Nov 2005

OK, I just tried the easy Tweet feature with my son on his Twitter and the darn Getty watermark is still on there!

Yes, it made it easy but it didn't work like the example of the Angelina Jolie pic in their example.

Maybe just a glitch but this is what it did on this Bryce Harper pic:

Regards,
                Andrew Lang
                AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                202-716-8500

Comment

• Roady
                  • Jun 2012

Originally posted by danesei@yahoo.com
                  I can understand not releasing the "hi-res" library for multiple reasons, but I don't quite grasp what they did. So the images on site still have the ridiculous watermark, but if someone pays for the image... it still won't have the watermark? I'm pretty much lost on this. The only thing I got from it was that Getty won't sue eBay folks who use their images anymore.
                  I am in the boat as you.

Comment

• Roady
                    • Jun 2012

Originally posted by allstarsplus
                    OK, I just tried the easy Tweet feature with my son on his Twitter and the darn Getty watermark is still on there!

Yes, it made it easy but it didn't work like the example of the Angelina Jolie pic in their example.

https://twitter.com/jakeNATS24/statu...27417073455104
                    I don't mind the watermark on the pics. It lends legitimacy to the image and provides an easy number look up on Getty.

Comment

• allstarsplus
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Roady
                      I don't mind the watermark on the pics. It lends legitimacy to the image and provides an easy number look up on Getty.
                      Sure, but sometimes the watermark obstructs a key part of the pic and I'd rather it be at the bottom like in that Angelina Jolie pic they used as an example. If that is the way it will stay with MLB and NFL photos, the only difference they will have made is the easy post feature.

I understand that they needed to do something to stop the bootlegs but that still won't stop those who backdoor and steal the Hi Res photos and sell them.
                      Regards,
                      Andrew Lang
                      AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                      202-716-8500

Comment

• finfanrb23
                        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by allstarsplus

https://twitter.com/jakeNATS24/statu...27417073455104
                        Hey guys here is how to get them without the water mark. After you click this icon </> another window pops up to embed the photo. If you click on show image preview, it will show the photo below without the watermark. Just right click on it and Save Image As. Some photos don't have this option however, like ones owned by newspapers etc. Gotta love free! Maybe they'll break down someday and let us have the high res too!

Comment

• ousooner_85
                          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by finfanrb23
                          Hey guys here is how to get them without the water mark. After you click this icon </> another window pops up to embed the photo. If you click on show image preview, it will show the photo below without the watermark. Just right click on it and Save Image As. Some photos don't have this option however, like ones owned by newspapers etc. Gotta love free! Maybe they'll break down someday and let us have the high res too!

I can't seem to follow what you are doing. I don't see this icon </> anywhere?

Comment

• finfanrb23
                            • Aug 2011

Unfortunately some photos don't have the option. Follow the link to this Harper photo, it should clear up what you are looking for. See the icons directly beneath the photo on the right side?

Bryce Harper of the Washington Nationals poses for a portrait during photo day at Space Coast Stadium on February 23, 2014 in Viera, Florida.

Comment

• ousooner_85
                              • Aug 2012

Simple enough....thanks for clearing that up for me!

Comment

Working...