PDA

View Full Version : approaching players to sign game used

jojac
03-13-2014, 09:54 AM
Some people like their GU used items signed others prefer to leave it unsigned. I for one like to have these things signed but approaching players can be like walking on egg shells at times because of their moods and signing restrictions. What's the best way to ask a player to sign an item game used??? Do you bring certs for back up??? Cry...Beg...Plead???

Jags Fan Dan
03-13-2014, 10:07 AM
I am not a big autograph hound, but to me, common sense dictates everything. I would not approach a player who is eating or otherwise engaged with his family. Outside of that, if you are polite i.e. "Mr. Ripken, would you be so kind as to sign this jersey?" I feel like the worst you should expect is a polite decline. If you are polite to them and they are anything less than polite to you, that is on them as far as I'm concerned.

Steeleraddict
03-13-2014, 10:55 AM
There's a great thread about this a couple months ago.

rudyjj18
03-13-2014, 12:39 PM
I, like you, prefer my game used stuff signed. I get nervous getting it autographed when they're not in "autograph mode" (I.e not at a signing of some sort). A lot of times the surface they write on isn't good or they give you a quick autograph that looks crappy. If I'm having someone sign a baseball that's not game used, it's much less of a risk. Typically when someone has signed a game used item, they don't care what the item is. Some players won't inscribe "game used" without good certification of that being true. But generally, they don't care what they sign.

Lunytune2
03-13-2014, 12:50 PM
For my game used , especially jerseys I prefer a paid signings for the best possible autographs.

jojac
03-13-2014, 12:58 PM
I always try to be respectful and the majority of signings I do are at signing events but it seems like once you ask for the inscription "GAME USED" you get a reaction at times like you just asked for a pint of blood and that's whats frustrating.

jake33
03-13-2014, 01:38 PM
My suggestion is this

1) take off work a day and go to the team hotel when they are on the road, the autographs you get are better looking than stadium autographs, plus you can bang out most of the team that same day, unless it is Boston or the Yankees. I prefer going during the week, as there are significantly less autograph hounds during weekdays.

2) I have had probably 25 game used items signed in the last year. More and more MLB players will look for the hologram before inscribing. I have a game used hit single from an all star game and gave the print out of the hit to the player and he gladly inscribed "game used ALL Star single" -- tough to get the game used inscription when there is a crowd of fans and if you don't have any certification.

Sotystl
03-13-2014, 02:44 PM
Ive only had my stuff signed at paid signing. Only have a handful of things but the players have been awesome.

Preston
03-13-2014, 02:49 PM
I always try to be respectful and the majority of signings I do are at signing events but it seems like once you ask for the inscription "GAME USED" you get a reaction at times like you just asked for a pint of blood and that's whats frustrating.

I've never had this type reaction - most football players that I've asked to sign and inscribe the date and opponent etc think it's cool that I have one of their gamers. Maybe it's just how I approached it, I dunno?

xsentrixsupra
03-13-2014, 04:51 PM
Hah, whatever you do don't ask them in a club! A few years ago when Vince Carter and Jason Kidd were still on the Nets they were in the VIP table next to ours. It was just them and it wasn't like they were talking to a bunch of girls. My friend went over and just said "Vince, I loved you at UNC man, I just wanted to shake your hand" Vince gave him the death glare and said "F*** you" hah, my friend didn't even ask for him to sign anything or take a pic or anything. It was early in the night as well, so it wasn't like we were that far gone, nor would they have been.

1 odd place I have had some decent luck though is airports. When they are flying commercial, they are looking for ways to pass time just like the rest of us during layovers. The 2x I have seen athletes in airports, they have been more than happy to sign and even chat a bit.