PDA

View Full Version : ...ANYONE SEEN McGWIRE?

hblakewolf
12-13-2006, 12:13 PM
Forum Readers-

You either love him or hate him, however, it does not appear Mark McGwire will participating in any autograph shows or signings now or in the future.

The attached ESPN story is one of the most insightful I've read about the current status of MAC.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=mcgwire

FYI

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

kingjammy24
12-13-2006, 01:57 PM
howard, you're a phillies fan. here's the current doings of nails:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2006/12/25/8396725/index.htm

rudy.

TNTtoys
12-13-2006, 02:22 PM
Forum Readers-

You either love him or hate him, however, it does not appear Mark McGwire will participating in any autograph shows or signings now or in the future.

The attached ESPN story is one of the most insightful I've read about the current status of MAC.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=mcgwire

FYI

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Howard,

Thanks for sharing that... though mostly speculation, certainly sheds a little light into the man that the baseball world has literally been without for years. I for one never stopped being a fan of this guy. Sure his popularity waned dramatically over the years, but what he did for the game should not be forgotten. I continue to proudly display 2 signed photos of him on my "wall of heroes" at home -- one of a very young McGwire back in the late 80s in an Oakland A's uniform, and another of him taking one of his mammoth home run cuts, circa 1998.
The "wall of heroes" concept was something I put together years back. It's one wall of 3 in my sports room that features a signed photo (or 2) of some of the guys I supported throughout the years, but moreso, guys that I am comfortable for my kids to know as heroes too. Some of them have been true heroes for their game, some for their community, some both. I have taken down certain players over the years because I didn't think they were worthy of this distinction. McGwire is not going anywhere anytime soon.

JasonM33
12-13-2006, 02:33 PM
Thanks for posting that. I still love McGwire. It's a shame he's such a hermit. I'd love to get a chance to see him a card show. I was lucky enough to get him to sign a ball for me during pre-game warmups in 1998. Now everyone is taking that Bonds will get into the HOF but McGwire won't. I don't quite understand that logic.

-Jason

stkmtimo
12-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Howard,

Thanks for sharing that... though mostly speculation, certainly sheds a little light into the man that the baseball world has literally been without for years. I for one never stopped being a fan of this guy. Sure his popularity waned dramatically over the years, but what he did for the game should not be forgotten. I continue to proudly display 2 signed photos of him on my "wall of heroes" at home -- one of a very young McGwire back in the late 80s in an Oakland A's uniform, and another of him taking one of his mammoth home run cuts, circa 1998.
The "wall of heroes" concept was something I put together years back. It's one wall of 3 in my sports room that features a signed photo (or 2) of some of the guys I supported throughout the years, but moreso, guys that I am comfortable for my kids to know as heroes too. Some of them have been true heroes for their game, some for their community, some both. I have taken down certain players over the years because I didn't think they were worthy of this distinction. McGwire is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Any chance you could share with us which players have made your heroes wall? I'm very interested.

Thanks,

Tim

skyking26
12-13-2006, 09:12 PM
Very interesting article that reminds one of my other hero - Dave Kingman. Two sluggers who captivated us with their ability to do something so few could do. Two who were always in the headlines and tried so desperately to stay out of them. Both private men.

TNTtoys
12-13-2006, 11:37 PM
Any chance you could share with us which players have made your heroes wall? I'm very interested.

Thanks,

Tim

Here goes... Cal Ripken Jr, Mark McGwire, Mike Schmidt, Pete Rose, Sammy Sosa, Ken Griffey Jr., Albert Pujols, Carlos Beltran, Mike Piazza, Gary Carter, Ted Williams, Brett Favre, Joe Montana, Kurt Warner, Dan Marino, Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, Doug Flutie, Boomer Esiason, John Elway, Terrell Davis.

Pete Rose made for an interesting discussion with my 13-yr old... nevertheless, it was all about being human, making mistakes and the act of forgiveness. As Christians, we learn 'to err is human, to forgive is divine.' Somehow Major League Baseball never found a way to forgive its all-time hit king... I made a comparison between his story and that of Lawrence Taylor who is inshrined in Canton. I think that what LT did throughout his football career was far worse than betting, but he was elected into his respective hall of fame based on "what he did on the field," the way it ought to be...