PDA

View Full Version : Game-Used NFL Footballs

BVC
03-19-2014, 01:30 PM
Does anyone know how to get the game-used look on an official NFL football, without using the machinery that the equipment managers use? I have a definite game-used football and a non-used one - they look very different, the game-used one is very recent and is redder, shinier and has more of the nubs worn off. The unused one simply looks like an out-of-the box NFL football.

My question has two purposes:

1) I'm finding a few 'game-used' footballs that look very, very authentic, and if it's impossible to get the look without machinery, then I'll feel more comfortable about purchasing them.

2) I have an unused one that I am trying to rough-up to look like my authentic one, so that I can put the authentic one in the safe and display the other one - the unused one is older and does not have the same number of stars in the logo, so there is absolutely no danger of it getting sold as 'real', but otherwise, I have added the appropriate official's marks. I know it sounds stupid, but I'm paranoid about theft, fire, sprinkler systems, etc. I have worked the unused one, using techniques I found in the Eli Manning thread, and also in a couple of kickology posts where NFL kickers were interviewed, but my ball is still not red enough or shiny enough. I'm hesitant to do this, but I think a little mahogany shoe polish, treating it like a shoe, would probably work - I just don't want to take the 'football' qualities out of it unless necessary.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. If the thought is that giving out such information would encourage forgeries, I completely understand.

MercyMe78
03-19-2014, 06:45 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=58718

:)

BVC
03-19-2014, 08:15 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=58718

:)

Yep, that's the Eli Manning article I referenced above - they use machinery to scrub the balls. I know that each team gets 20 minutes to rough up the kicking balls, just prior to the game, and I assume that they also use machinery, but perhaps not. Hopefully someone here can help me out; however, my ball is coming along fairly well. I scrubbed the heck out of it with a wet towel and then brushed it real good with a black horsehair shoe brush. It feels a lot better and appears to be getting a little darker.

Perhaps no one is interested, but when it's done I'll post pictures of the game-used ball and my replica. I like amusing myself.

RaiderNationPDX
03-20-2014, 12:05 AM
I would assert it's possible to get the game used look and feel by just playing with and handling a ball. I have one off-the-shelf Goodell ball that, after a few years of pickup games, tossing around and handling on a frequent basis is basically indistinguishable in look and feel from the fifteen or so game used balls I have.

It's been consistently maintained - toweled down and brushed with Wilson's football brush after each game, always kept properly inflated, etc. Other than that, nature has taken its course.

My point is - in my humble opinion - it's absolutely possible to get the "game used" look without the machinery. Just takes time to naturally develop; even the deep redness you're desiring can be obtained with time from exposure to oils off your palms and moisture from the elements. Is there an overnight solution? No, but with some time it should get there. Hope some of this helps!

beaglegypsy003
03-20-2014, 05:34 AM
So you are going to simulate wear on a football so after it looks right you can display that ball instead of the real one which you will keep in a safe? What is so good about having the real ball hidden away and not being able to enjoy it while having an artificial worn ball for you to look at in its place. My feeling is that one purpose of collecting is to be able to share it with friends or other collectors. My man cave is a work in progress but one of the first things I did was have an alarm system installed for the whole house to protect the collection that is on display. It still isn't complete but I've had a few friends over to the house and even an ex-University of Hawaii football player came to visit.

runscott
03-20-2014, 10:00 AM
So you are going to simulate wear on a football so after it looks right you can display that ball instead of the real one which you will keep in a safe? What is so good about having the real ball hidden away and not being able to enjoy it while having an artificial worn ball for you to look at in its place. My feeling is that one purpose of collecting is to be able to share it with friends or other collectors. My man cave is a work in progress but one of the first things I did was have an alarm system installed for the whole house to protect the collection that is on display. It still isn't complete but I've had a few friends over to the house and even an ex-University of Hawaii football player came to visit.

I completely agree with you. It's definitely a conundrum and it's the only item in my collection that I feel this way about, probably because we were at the game and it was a big event for us. Here's a mock-up of the display - it's photo-matched for all pictures except the Seattle field goal and punt, and the newspaper is showing a completely different ball.

beaglegypsy003
03-20-2014, 05:09 PM
That is one great looking display.

BVC
03-20-2014, 06:51 PM
Thanks. I spent a lot of time researching the ball, and in the process was able to talk with a variety of interesting photographers and press editors. Thanks also, to Ken, for taking the time to answer some of my questions about game-used balls.

Most of the photo-matches were, unfortunately, of 49'er players, but I have ordered a poster-size print of the one at bottom-right which shows Doug Baldwin returning a kick-off during the 1st half. That one, along with the one above it (LaMichael James fumbling a punt), show all of the key match characteristics, including some scrapes on the football. It may end up being most of the back-drop.

Samets
03-21-2014, 05:46 AM
Are you using 2 accounts? or am I missing something!?

PAC
03-21-2014, 08:53 AM
Are you using 2 accounts? or am I missing something!?

BUSTED

BVC
03-21-2014, 09:59 AM
I sincerely hope you are asking that question of someone other than me. I just joined up a few weeks ago.

BVC
03-21-2014, 10:01 AM
WOW! My sincerest apologies. It was me.

I used Runscott for years on all forums, and sometimes just do it without even thinking. I had no idea that I was a member here under that name. I'm sure that if you check that i.d., you'll find that it hasn't been used in ages, if ever.

Chris, please kill either i.d. and I will use the other one.

BVC
03-21-2014, 10:02 AM
Yep, one post back in 2007. Again, my apologies - it was definitely not my intention to have two accounts.

Samets
03-21-2014, 10:44 AM
Seems like there are a few members using multiple accounts on this forum...

BVC
03-21-2014, 10:53 AM
Seems like there are a few members using multiple accounts on this forum...

Samets, sometimes it really is an honest mistake. If we didn't give people the benefit of the doubt in real life, the way we don't give it to them on the internet, the world would be a disaster.

I asked Chris to kill my old account. When I first 'discovered' this place a few weeks ago, I had no idea that I had actually landed here seven years ago for a single post. So again, my apologies.

Samets
03-21-2014, 12:27 PM
Samets, sometimes it really is an honest mistake. If we didn't give people the benefit of the doubt in real life, the way we don't give it to them on the internet, the world would be a disaster.

I asked Chris to kill my old account. When I first 'discovered' this place a few weeks ago, I had no idea that I had actually landed here seven years ago for a single post. So again, my apologies.

You're fine... It's when a member has a few hundred posts and then has 2 to 3 other accounts with very low post counts that post like they've been here for years is what I have a problem with...

BVC
05-01-2014, 11:05 AM
Experiment over - I am now good at preparing a football :) and this one will be used to play with, not as a confederate display piece. I tried most everything mentioned in the various articles I read: getting it wet and scrubbing with a dark horsehair brush, throwing it in a dryer for 15 minutes, beating on the ends of it, etc. - even rubbed it up with Lexol. It's got a great feel now, but it's dark brown and the new balls are mahogany - no getting around that.