PDA

View Full Version : Masahiro Tanaka - MLB Authenticated First...

marino13
03-20-2014, 07:35 PM
Is it just me or is it just a little excessive that MLB actually doing this?

Don't get me wrong here - I am a big Yankees fan and would love nothing more to get my hand on one of these since they will be the most affordable MLB Authenticated jersey for Tanaka.

I am hoping that he is the best thing since slice bread - but really MLB? :eek:

First jersey EVER produced

First of 19 ever produced

First of 100 ever produced

I wondering if I have to donate blood, sell my kidney and maybe sell of an arm or a limp to get his FIRST game used jersey. :D

Chess2899
03-20-2014, 07:47 PM
Is it just me or is it just a little excessive that MLB actually doing this?

Don't get me wrong here - I am a big Yankees fan and would love nothing more to get my hand on one of these since they will be the most affordable MLB Authenticated jersey for Tanaka.

I am hoping that he is the best thing since slice bread - but really MLB? :eek:

First jersey EVER produced

First of 19 ever produced

First of 100 ever produced

I wondering if I have to donate blood, sell my kidney and maybe sell of an arm or a limp to get his FIRST game used jersey. :D

I just think this is part of MLB's money making strategy. Most of the game used jerseys are overpriced. If the money was going to charity, that would be one thing, but htese jerseys cost too much money with questionable return on investment. Remember Hideo Nomo? His game used 1995 All Star jersey went for $10,000. Would you pay that today?

kellsox
03-21-2014, 09:33 AM
Why does it seem to me like mlb is steering the game used/memorabilia markets down the same road as trading cards.

Phil316
03-21-2014, 09:54 AM
Why does it seem to me like mlb is steering the game used/memorabilia markets down the same road as trading cards.

Because they are.

Phil316
03-21-2014, 10:01 AM
To add you are better off investing in an older star player than most current players. I can only imagine how many Harper gamers have hit the market or will hit the market this year or any star player for that matter. It's kinda sad if you are looking to invest or even if you collect a a certain top tier player. The thing is there will be people plunking down thousands to own a Harper or a Thanka.

Phil316
03-21-2014, 10:02 AM
Tanaka sorry.

Steeleraddict
03-21-2014, 10:49 AM
I agree MLB is slowly killing the goose. I for one am getting a little tired or it.

Completely agree that there will be an over saturation of Harper jerseys. If I were in the market, I'd wait. It seems they're releasing one of his every three weeks. And you still have 15 years of his jerseys to come. Kind of like the jets jerseys.

kellsox
03-21-2014, 12:12 PM
My favorite is the ad that runs on mlb.com for mlb auctions that says "invest in history "( or something along those lines). Anyone that is buying is going to be disappointed if investment is their plan.

frikativ54
03-22-2014, 09:28 AM
Because they are.

It's getting pretty bad with some teams. The Mariners have their "stars" wear shirt after shirt, to the point where it's pretty pathetic. For example, the M's authenticated Dustin Ackley jerseys for April 8, 9, and 10, 2013. I sort of understand the first one, because that was the M's home opener. But the rest, questionable.

Thank goodness, some teams still sell pounded jerseys. One of my 2013 Astros jerseys was worn for the entire season. But then again, we weren't talking about a star, in this case.

The whole "piece of history" thing is a joke. And some of the milestones that teams keep track of are hardly significant, in the whole scheme of things.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
03-22-2014, 09:48 AM
It's getting pretty bad with some teams. The Mariners have their "stars" wear shirt after shirt, to the point where it's pretty pathetic. For example, the M's authenticated Dustin Ackley jerseys for April 8, 9, and 10, 2013. I sort of understand the first one, because that was the M's home opener. But the rest, questionable.

Thank goodness, some teams still sell pounded jerseys. One of my 2013 Astros jerseys was worn for the entire season. But then again, we weren't talking about a star, in this case.

The whole "piece of history" thing is a joke. And some of the milestones that teams keep track of are hardly significant, in the whole scheme of things.

I enjoy when $20 baseballs turn into $150 baseballs just cause some player got their first hit or home run that day.(yah I'm looking at you Orioles)

Chess2899
03-22-2014, 11:46 AM
[QUOTE=johnsontravis@ymail.com;351892]I enjoy when $20 baseballs turn into $150 baseballs just cause some player got their first hit or home run that day.(yah I'm looking at you Orioles)[/QUOTE

Or if a ball hits Albert Pujols, the ball price hits $200.

emann
03-22-2014, 12:47 PM

+1

I've had really good luck in terms of use, but I rarely buy from the auctions. If I do, I ask questions upfront.

I don't share the same outlook most of you seem to (although I agree MLB is greedy overall). Things like non-milestone baseballs, bases, lineups, anything generic = junk. Aimed at people who want to take home "a piece of the game." These have absolutely gone the way of baseball cards, as evidenced by tons of GU baseballs flooding the market. In one MLB day, they probably tag minimally 500 balls. Do the math on a season.

But, I was told how many jerseys for a few specific stars were pulled over last season and I didn't think it was outrageous. Would I prefer they were only wearing 2 of each style for the season like 20 years ago? Absolutely—but it is what it is (most of the bench players still only get 2-3 for the season BTW)... I think what MLB is doing is manufacturing single game or series usage for casual buyers. They'll put a new jersey on Jeter for a random game, then take it and tag it. It is "game worn" for the average fan, Jeter wore it once and they're happy. Jeter still has the jersey he wears for a 2 month stretch in his locker...

If you want pounded, you need to do your work and research (or wait until they hit a sports auctioneer from another collector). Those jerseys still exist for a dedicated collector who does the legwork. It is like being a book collector; anybody can buy a reprint paperback, but an educated collector goes after the 1st edition hardcover.

[Also, tell me Steiner won't have buyers for every "one game use" Jeter bat & jersey they get this season, then we'll talk.]

johnsontravis@ymail.com
03-23-2014, 09:08 AM
[QUOTE=johnsontravis@ymail.com;351892]I enjoy when $20 baseballs turn into $150 baseballs just cause some player got their first hit or home run that day.(yah I'm looking at you Orioles)[/QUOTE

Or if a ball hits Albert Pujols, the ball price hits $200.

Dont even get me started on hit baseballs from Pujols, Cabrera, Trout, etc. When a baseball that isn't a home run is going for $300+ you probably need your head checked.

jbean023
03-23-2014, 10:48 PM
[QUOTE=Chess2899;351898]

Dont even get me started on hit baseballs from Pujols, Cabrera, Trout, etc. When a baseball that isn't a home run is going for $300+ you probably need your head checked.

First off I'll say I enjoyed your Weeks jersey and believe I sent you an email about the jersey complimenting and inquiring if you would be interested at moving it at some point because I'm trying to put a few jerseys together with the stars on the back, but I don't the negativity and insults so I'll give my 2 cents. I only get bent out of shape about collectors altering items from their original state(washing) and cutting up items into cards.

To my point about getting your head checked spending $300 for a potential HOF hit ball. I am one of those guys that do that, so let's have a quick discussion about this. History shows vintage items hold more value due to rarity, obviously teams are going away with rarity but what do you think is out there about 500 pujols hit balls, 700 Cabrera, ect just rough and probably high estimates. Lets say there is 700 hit balls from the following guys that get released Schmidt,Yount, Molitor, Rose, Ernie Banks,ted williams, ect what are those worth. Lets say 100 hit balls from Yaz's TC season come out what are those worth? Can you tell me that? Probably more than $300 a piece. Can you tell me the value of your Weeks jersey in 30 yrs? The conversation will probably head more towards who is Ricky weeks? So before you tell collectors to get their heads checked you should probably sit back and take a look at what you collect and say the same thing.

In my opinion we all need our heads checked, imagine all the millions of dollars that us collectors spend as a whole and think of the other possibilities, but collecting is something that I enjoy and will continue to do. No harm intended just giving my side of the hit baseball collecting.

jbean023
03-23-2014, 10:51 PM
[QUOTE=johnsontravis@ymail.com;351993]

First off I'll say I enjoyed your Weeks jersey and believe I sent you an email about the jersey complimenting and inquiring if you would be interested at moving it at some point because I'm trying to put a few jerseys together with the stars on the back, but I don't the negativity and insults so I'll give my 2 cents. I only get bent out of shape about collectors altering items from their original state(washing) and cutting up items into cards.

To my point about getting your head checked spending $300 for a potential HOF hit ball. I am one of those guys that do that, so let's have a quick discussion about this. History shows vintage items hold more value due to rarity, obviously teams are going away with rarity but what do you think is out there about 500 pujols hit balls, 700 Cabrera, ect just rough and probably high estimates. Lets say there is 700 hit balls from the following guys that get released Schmidt,Yount, Molitor, Rose, Ernie Banks,ted williams, ect what are those worth. Lets say 100 hit balls from Yaz's TC season come out what are those worth? Can you tell me that? Probably more than $300 a piece. Can you tell me the value of your Weeks jersey in 30 yrs? The conversation will probably head more towards who is Ricky weeks? So before you tell collectors to get their heads checked you should probably sit back and take a look at what you collect and say the same thing.

In my opinion we all need our heads checked, imagine all the millions of dollars that us collectors spend as a whole and think of the other possibilities, but collecting is something that I enjoy and will continue to do. No harm intended just giving my side of the hit baseball collecting.

However I don't enjoy that teams should set the crazy high reserves on items especially hit balls, just let them go into a collectors hands for what someone will pay.

marino13
03-24-2014, 03:51 PM
I have many thought I was nuts when I paid $125-$250 for Mariano's pitched balls - the difference in price depends on if it was "foul tip", "ball in the dirt" and if the inning(s) he pitched result in a save or not.

Now I have the same group of people nagging me "Come one, you only paid $125 for them. Now I am offering you $200 for each and you are not selling them?"

My reply - "Wait until I get them signed and then you can bid for them at the auction's house." :D