PDA

View Full Version : Opinion needed FAST Frank Thomas yearbook

stasman
03-21-2014, 06:01 PM
Okay members. I need your opinions... Tomorrow I will be meeting Frank Thomas for an autograph. I have his High School yearbook and his college yearbook. Which would be best for this HOF'er to sign??

Matt

BU54CB
03-21-2014, 07:16 PM
I would say neither, but I guess HS if I had to choose.

frikativ54
03-21-2014, 07:25 PM
I admittedly have a few different Bagwell HS yearbooks, but honestly, if I were the player, I'd be a little creeped out. It feels kind of stalkerish, in a way. It's really cool to have them, because there are little-known statistics and photos in some of the yearbooks. Yet, if I were in an athlete's position, I'd be kind of weirded out.

emann
03-21-2014, 07:41 PM
I'd vote college.

The high school one only if you can get him to write "have a cool summer!"

salukidave
03-21-2014, 07:42 PM
High school, for sure.

GoTigers
03-21-2014, 07:59 PM
College, it appeals to a whole other fan base. I'd like to have an Auburn yearbook signed by Frank, but have no desire for a High School yearbook of his.

bgakladd
03-21-2014, 08:13 PM
I would go with college. I have a lot of Chris Spielman high school items, signed photos, yearbook, trophies, programs and calendars his parents marked on and his varsity letter from his Massillon Tigers days but I think his college days at Ohio State would have more appeal for me if I had them, even a yearbook. So again I say college.

Phil316
03-21-2014, 08:13 PM
I would not get either. Sorry I add nothing.

PAC
03-21-2014, 08:27 PM
NEITHER

It would be cool to have a (insert player here) high school yearbook with his HIGH SCHOOL ERA SIGNATURE
or a (insert player here) college yearbook with his COLLEGE ERA SIGNATURE

but a high school or college yearbook with a fresh new signature from a 45 year-old man...pass

bravesfanjd
03-21-2014, 09:29 PM
I would get college because Auburn is famous in its own right also you find find other famous athletes in the book and could add to the autographs over time

ironmanfan
03-21-2014, 09:48 PM
I would not get either. Sorry I add nothing.

I wouldn't have either signed as well

Nnunnari
03-21-2014, 10:37 PM
Have him sign your chest.

Phil316
03-21-2014, 11:38 PM
Have him sign your chest.

Then he could get it tattooed. Think of the possibilities of a chest dedicated to Frank. Not many can say they have a The Big Hurt tatted on their chest.

To be real honest do what you feel comfortable. If you plan on showing him your cap you might consider something different than a year book. I would hate for big Frank to get bugged out then not be engaged regarding the cap.

Get a baseball or something with a cool inscription.

Let us know how it goes and if still all possible try and get picture of him with the cap. Even if you are just holding it.

Good luck.

stasman
03-22-2014, 06:03 AM
Thanks members.. Good info.

stasman
04-15-2014, 03:34 PM
I'd vote college.

The high school one only if you can get him to write "have a cool summer!"

I took your advise. Cool auto.

Roady
04-15-2014, 05:17 PM
Love it!
You continue to poke your finger in the eyes of the bullies. :)

danesei@yahoo.com
04-15-2014, 05:35 PM
Okay members. I need your opinions... Tomorrow I will be meeting Frank Thomas for an autograph. I have his High School yearbook and his college yearbook. Which would be best for this HOF'er to sign??

Matt

High school, due to rarity considerations, but don't get any pointless inscriptions. It would seem gimmicky at best to have his post-HOF signature with some "Good luck in college!" or "Have a great summer!" type of inscription.

net0@thehalf
04-15-2014, 05:50 PM
College as that was his claim before his fame. most people tend to know who you are in college, as in high school your only special on a local level.

stasman
04-15-2014, 05:54 PM
High school, due to rarity considerations, but don't get any pointless inscriptions. It would seem gimmicky at best to have his post-HOF signature with some "Good luck in college!" or "Have a great summer!" type of inscription.

It made him and me laugh... Sometimes you just need to take collecting less seriously and enjoy the moment and memory. It's for my collection and I think it's unique and funny.

danesei@yahoo.com
04-15-2014, 05:57 PM
It made him and me laugh... Sometimes you just need to take collecting less seriously and enjoy the moment and memory. It's for my collection and I think it's unique and funny.

I've always viewed collecting as being a caretaker of history for the next generation. I realize I'm in the vast minority on this one, but it's how I see it. That's why I wouldn't mind a real yearbook with his high school signature (along with other classmates/schoolmates other random writing), however a yearbook with a clearly faked inscription would seem like a gimmick. That said, I'm glad the two of you got a nice laugh about it. :)

stasman
04-15-2014, 06:00 PM
I've always viewed collecting as being a caretaker of history for the next generation. I realize I'm in the vast minority on this one, but it's how I see it. That's why I wouldn't mind a real yearbook with his high school signature (along with other classmates/schoolmates other random writing), however a yearbook with a clearly faked inscription would seem like a gimmick. That said, I'm glad the two of you got a nice laugh about it. :)

We did... Thanks. He's a good guy. I still have his college yearbook. Maybe that one will be just a plain HOF signature. Go Sox

Phil316
04-15-2014, 06:17 PM

That is awesome.

cjw
04-15-2014, 06:44 PM

I like the inscription idea and support any addition to ones collection that makes them smile. With respect to the above-poster's opinion, I think tha Frank's yearbook is prob in some abundance and is hardly destined for the smitsonian.

stasman
04-15-2014, 07:12 PM
I like the inscription idea and support any addition to ones collection that makes them smile. With respect to the above-poster's opinion, I think tha Frank's yearbook is prob in some abundance and is hardly destined for the smitsonian.

His high school yearbook is a tough find because he came from a very small school and I'm sure he is the most famous student, so they probably keep their yearbooks for that reason. Mine belonged to a office staff member.. Still has her name in the book. It's cool I think. Yep.. Won't make it into any museum.. Just cool and unique if your a Frank fan.

emann
04-15-2014, 09:03 PM

Glad you liked the suggestion; I think it came out great and it was very cool that Frank got a chuckle out of that inscription.

It isn't like this is his high school jersey or anything and I think the shared memory behind it would add to your personal Frank Thomas collection overall.

stasman
04-15-2014, 09:08 PM
Glad you liked the suggestion; I think it came out great and it was very cool that Frank got a chuckle out of that inscription.

It isn't like this is his high school jersey or anything and I think the shared memory behind it would add to your personal Frank Thomas collection overall.

Yep. It was perfect!! Thanks

Juan Gris
04-15-2014, 11:26 PM
When it comes to signing just about anything in this hobby you will get folks on both sides of the fence. I think it looks awesome, stasman!

stasman
04-16-2014, 04:42 AM
Thanks