PDA

View Full Version : Another Mlb Authentication Error

3arod13
03-22-2014, 12:37 PM
Received this as a gift. It reads, "This collectible, featuring a piece of baseball from a NEW YORK YANKEES game (not from any specific game, event, or season), has been obtained under the auspices of the MLB Authentication Program and can be verified by its numbered hologram at MLB.com."

When I looked up the MLB Authentication Hologram Number on the piece of baseball BB805024, it's states NLDS Game 3, Philadelphia Phillies @ Colorado Rockies, cut into small pieces, Original: BB697034 - January 28, 2008

Then I looked up BB697034, it states, NLDS Game 3 - Phillies @ Rockies - October 6, 2007

I just don't understand why this happens so often. This isn't a major game used piece, but still is ridiculous!!

ironmanfan
03-22-2014, 12:39 PM
they probably count on people never actually checking the database unfortunately

3arod13
03-22-2014, 12:51 PM
they probably count on people never actually checking the database unfortunately

The best way to ensure it's correct is to have an employee check the numbers on MLB.com, which takes no more than a few seconds.

For MLB to create this program to ensure fans and collectors that their item is legit, to only find so many mistakes, is ridiculous.

ironmanfan
03-22-2014, 01:04 PM
I'm also thinking that MLB is marketing this type item to the casual fan, not the game used collector, who would actually check the data base...

just a thought....should never happen either way

3arod13
03-22-2014, 02:52 PM
I'm also thinking that MLB is marketing this type item to the casual fan, not the game used collector, who would actually check the data base...

just a thought....should never happen either way

Agree! Thanks for you comments!!

Umiami338
03-22-2014, 03:13 PM
I'm a little lost, is the October 2007 date from the actual game and the 2008 date from the day they cut it up? That's how I would interpret it.

Dach0sen0ne
03-22-2014, 03:42 PM
How is this an authentication error? I think you would fault Mounted Memories, since they actually produced the collage. It's not like someone made an error authenticating the baseball. The error occoured when Mounted Memories put the wrong teams ball in the collage. They probably made thousands of these and maybe mixed up some pieces.

Wrigley2010
03-22-2014, 06:13 PM
I am one of the last people to defend MLB when it comes to the quality of their authentication. I own several items that do not even show up in their database and getting them to fix it is impossible. However, I think Dach is correct here and the fault should be placed on Mounted Memories and not MLB.

dplettn
03-22-2014, 06:15 PM
How is this an authentication error? I think you would fault Mounted Memories, since they actually produced the collage. It's not like someone made an error authenticating the baseball. The error occoured when Mounted Memories put the wrong teams ball in the collage. They probably made thousands of these and maybe mixed up some pieces.

+1. Unless I'm missing something, the only adverse thing related to MLB Authentication here is having been referenced during a 3rd party company's absurd aerror.

3arod13
03-22-2014, 08:20 PM
Oh I see what your saying. Mounted memories put the wrong piece on this item! Thanks!!!

allstarsplus
03-22-2014, 08:27 PM
Oh I see what your saying. Mounted memories put the wrong piece on this item! Thanks!!!

I agree. We get ball pieces like that also to use as "cuts". Clearly that isn't a Yankees game used ball piece.

The January 28, 2008 date is the day they chopped up the ball from the
NLDS Game 3 - Phillies @ Rockies - from October 6, 2007.

They need to replace that piece with a Yankees game piece. I think you need to contact Mounted Memories.

3arod13
03-22-2014, 08:27 PM

Yes, I feel stupid not seeing it! :o