PDA

View Full Version : remove sharpie from base

64SHEA
03-22-2014, 08:16 PM
I had Mariano Rivera sign my '13 all star base today and at some point it got a stray sharpie mark. Any idea how I could get it off?

bravesfanjd
03-22-2014, 08:19 PM
I'm not sure but just be careful because the item isn't smooth and you don't want to damage the base maybe contact schutt bases or whoever makes the base or even a ground crew member they might know

Good luck
Josh

yanks12025
03-22-2014, 08:46 PM
How was the signing? I was thinking of going and getting my pitching rubber signed by him. But things came up and dint have the extra $400 right now.

marino13
03-22-2014, 08:53 PM
Got two "pitched" ball signed by Mo. Both of them are foul tip and in a game that he got a save.

Didn't really want to put the "game used" or "save #" - since it is redundant and so over-used by Steiner already.

64SHEA
03-22-2014, 11:08 PM
It was nice to meet him but you weren't at the table for more then two seconds before they ushered you away. God forbid you tried to take a photo you had five guys screaming at you. I understand there was a lot of people there but for $400 I cant take a photo with the guy?!

bravesfanjd
03-23-2014, 01:59 AM
Check out this link

http://www.ehow.com/how_5814677_remove-permanent-marker-rubber.html

I think you might just want to leave it alone

Good luck

marino13
03-23-2014, 09:04 AM
It was nice to meet him but you weren't at the table for more then two seconds before they ushered you away. God forbid you tried to take a photo you had five guys screaming at you. I understand there was a lot of people there but for $400 I cant take a photo with the guy?!

I went with a couple friends who spend $4k to get stuff signed and they could care less about the pictures. And that was some awesome investment for them. They got game used galore - both home and away jerseys, fitted hats, pitching rubbers, cleats and pitching gloves. $400 per signature with inscription - that was cheap! And all the stuff got signed, the value just increase significantly.

Just imagine they allow pictures and so forth - how much longer would you be waiting on line?

If you really want to have that "special" moment - how about spending $2500 or so to one of those meet and greet? You can have like two minutes of his valuable time. :D

One thing I will never understand though - why would you want to get a generic baseball signed? or any type of pictures? These are a dime a dozen with COA and so forth. If you planning to get something sign by Mariano or any hard to get player, make it worth while. Not with some random junk. :)

bottomofthe9thonline
03-23-2014, 09:29 AM
Would love to see a photo of your base.

Misha
03-23-2014, 09:17 PM
" $400 per signature with inscription - that was cheap! "

Oh for the "good ole days". $25 for Mantle in 88, $17 for Reggie Jackson in 89. Lol. Inflation

sportsnbikes
03-24-2014, 06:31 PM
$400 for an autograph is a rip off especially when he signed hundreds at every stadium he visited last year.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
03-24-2014, 10:40 PM
$400 for an autograph is a rip off especially when he signed hundreds at every stadium he visited last year.

I Dont get it either. Yah he was great, but by no mean a legend. I'm not taking away what he accomplished, but this guy takes the "Yankee effect" to a whole new level. It may be "worth" it, but $400 for a signature is borderline crazy in my opinion.

bravesfanjd
03-24-2014, 11:14 PM

I know it sounds like a lot but you get the autograph in a controlled environment were you can bring in items you couldn't bring into a stadium or wouldn't want to also the item is going to be placed on a table or held steady with no jostling so you are going to get a cleaner signature then at the stadium. Also by buying the auto it means you will get one versus maybe getting one at the stadium

vince182
03-25-2014, 12:24 AM
a small amount of tooth paste will remove the sharpie cleanly, just rub in small circles until it lightens up and fades away. then wipe the excess away

64SHEA
03-25-2014, 01:47 AM
I guess I am a poor man because I don't think $400 for an autograph is cheap. That's more then Willie Mays charged at the last show I saw him at and near what Buzz Aldrin charges. On the other hand I am not saying they charged too much, I believe they had no problem selling all the tickets. I guess I should have said $400 and Steiner. Of all the shows I have been to since 2005 Steiner is the only company who has flat out said no photos for some of there signings. Every one else seems to leave it up to the athlete. Even the few signings I have gone to where there was a charge for a pro photo op I could still take a picture with them at the table.

I have never bought any thing in his hobby as an investment so any increase in value is irrelevant. If I didnt have the all star base I wouldn't have even thought about going. To me getting a photo with the person is just a enjoyable as getting there autograph. I wasn't asking for a moment, just a photo.

Would love to see a photo of your base.
I wont be home till Wednesday but i will be sure to post one then.

marino13
03-25-2014, 09:38 AM

A rip-off is when you got scammed unwillingly. People/company cheated you and so forth.

How is it a rip-off when people are willing to spend their money?

Sounds like a broke-ass complaint to me. If you cant afford it, it aint for you. But dont go around and screaming rip-off. :D (Hey, I always wanted a Mickey Mantle gamer, since I cant afford it I will scream bloody rip-off.)

Another thing, if people willing to spend $400 for a signature, at least get something worthy signed. Why would you paid $400 to get a signature on a baseball, photo or hat .. when you can actually buy them for less than half? Make no sense here except "I want to meet him in person" reason.

On the other hand, if you got his gamers signed - now that is another story. At least in the control environment, you can ask where the signature should be and so forth. And then, the final value of the item increase significantly.

Paid for signature is not for everyone - but getting crushed and waited for hours on end and hoping to get an ugly-ass-and-upside-down signature --- every broke ass got time for that. :D

marino13
03-25-2014, 09:45 AM
I Dont get it either. Yah he was great, but by no mean a legend. I'm not taking away what he accomplished, but this guy takes the "Yankee effect" to a whole new level. It may be "worth" it, but $400 for a signature is borderline crazy in my opinion.

Tell the guy who spent $400 to get a game used pitching rubber signed (he paid $1200 for) now people offering him $3000 for it. He must be really crazy about getting those free money.

I picked up two "pitched" baseball in a game he got a save. I paid $125 for each. Yeah, I am crazy to pay that amount for a baseball. Added the $300 for the signature to each ball. Next thing you know, some lunatic offered me $1200 for the ball --- I must be really crazy to accept his offer, right? Time to check myself into the looney bin clinic - because sane people are throwing crazy money at me. :D

yanks12025
03-25-2014, 09:58 AM
Tell the guy who spent $400 to get a game used pitching rubber signed (he paid $1200 for) now people offering him $3000 for it. He must be really crazy about getting those free money.

I picked up two "pitched" baseball in a game he got a save. I paid $125 for each. Yeah, I am crazy to pay that amount for a baseball. Added the $300 for the signature to each ball. Next thing you know, some lunatic offered me $1200 for the ball --- I must be really crazy to accept his offer, right? Time to check myself into the looney bin clinic - because sane people are throwing crazy money at me. :D

I wish I could find someone willing to pay $1,000+ for my game used pitching rubber used for two saves.

Now when you say two "pitched balls". Were they pitched by Rivera. Because if not take that $1,200 and run because they're stupid for paying that much.

marino13
03-25-2014, 10:42 AM
I wish I could find someone willing to pay $1,000+ for my game used pitching rubber used for two saves.

Now when you say two "pitched balls". Were they pitched by Rivera. Because if not take that $1,200 and run because they're stupid for paying that much.

Yes, they were pitched by Mariano.

And both were "strike" pitch - foul tip. I was thinking some creative for the inscription but couldnt come up with any - "Strike pitch" or "foul tip" .. that was just ... nah!

64SHEA
07-16-2014, 08:58 PM
I just got the base back from a signing and sent it right back out today but I thought I would post a quick photo.

On top of being sick myself the past few months, my mother is having heart surgery. I haven't had much time to even login which I don't think I have done in two months.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/126192039@N02/14486821638https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5591/14486821638_dff85488f7_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/o59KmS)
https://www.flickr.com/gp/126192039@N02/t0hQ3i

danesei@yahoo.com
07-16-2014, 09:17 PM
I had Mariano Rivera sign my '13 all star base today and at some point it got a stray sharpie mark. Any idea how I could get it off?

Expo Dry-Erase marker of whatever color the Sharpie was (assuming not paint pen). The Sharpie ink bonds to the Expo ink and wipes off. I'm pretty certain, however, that the marks would show up under black light, but seeing as it's visual, you should be okay. Now, the other side is, the base itself. If it's home plate (rubber), it should work, but if it's a bag (leather/vinyl?), I'm not nearly as sure.

Jules9
07-16-2014, 10:45 PM
Of all the shows I have been to since 2005 Steiner is the only company who has flat out said no photos for some of there signings. Every one else seems to leave it up to the athlete. Even the few signings I have gone to where there was a charge for a pro photo op I could still take a picture with them at the show.

I went to a NY Rangers Steiner show and they let you take pics with the player with no extra charge. The players were Mike Richter, Lundqvist, Callahan and Staal. Guess it depends on the show.

sportsnbikes
07-17-2014, 12:59 AM
I know it sounds like a lot but you get the autograph in a controlled environment were you can bring in items you couldn't bring into a stadium or wouldn't want to also the item is going to be placed on a table or held steady with no jostling so you are going to get a cleaner signature then at the stadium. Also by buying the auto it means you will get one versus maybe getting one at the stadium

Mariano signed the same at the stadium as he does on all his Steiner stuff and I couldn't see any difference. I don't have a pic right now of the ball he signed but it was a great signature.

sportsnbikes
07-17-2014, 01:17 AM
A rip-off is when you got scammed unwillingly. People/company cheated you and so forth.

How is it a rip-off when people are willing to spend their money?

Sounds like a broke-ass complaint to me. If you cant afford it, it aint for you. But dont go around and screaming rip-off. :D (Hey, I always wanted a Mickey Mantle gamer, since I cant afford it I will scream bloody rip-off.)

Another thing, if people willing to spend $400 for a signature, at least get something worthy signed. Why would you paid $400 to get a signature on a baseball, photo or hat .. when you can actually buy them for less than half? Make no sense here except "I want to meet him in person" reason.

On the other hand, if you got his gamers signed - now that is another story. At least in the control environment, you can ask where the signature should be and so forth. And then, the final value of the item increase significantly.

Paid for signature is not for everyone - but getting crushed and waited for hours on end and hoping to get an ugly-ass-and-upside-down signature --- every broke ass got time for that. :D

Calling it a rip-off is a figure of speech and not in the literal sense of the word. It's a rip-off because he's not worth $400. Plain and simple.

I'm not a person that is easily offended by any means but the broke-ass comment is really quite unnecessary.