PDA

View Full Version : Game issued question.

pungent
03-26-2014, 03:55 PM
Which current players from any sports would it still be a good investment on to purchase game issued items of (assuming their game used stuff are either very pricey or scarce).

bravesfanjd
03-26-2014, 06:27 PM
I would focus on stars of the mid 90s to early 2000s because you aren't going to have the same amount avaliable that you will have of today's stars because now everybody is involved in game used memorabillia also the kids that watched the players in the mid 90s to now are at that age were they have disposable income.

Josh

slab0meat
03-26-2014, 07:42 PM
Current and pricey - Jeter

xsentrixsupra
03-26-2014, 09:30 PM
I would focus on stars of the mid 90s to early 2000s because you aren't going to have the same amount avaliable that you will have of today's stars because now everybody is involved in game used memorabillia also the kids that watched the players in the mid 90s to now are at that age were they have disposable income.

Josh

Agreed, anyone who was a star when that generation is coming into money(well in theory, who knows with the economy) will not be a bad investment.

Honestly though, I'd concentrate on what you like. Its not a great thing to get into just for the profits, yeah you can definitely make some cash, but its far less enjoyable. Also its pretty unpredictable.

Lets say you collected Ryan Braun from the get go and had a great collection that you spent a ton of money on that you were planning to flip for a profit when he retired.......all pretty worthless now. Now you have a big collection of stuff you have no connection to that was just a money pit. At least as a Braun fan I know I still like the stuff.

pungent
03-27-2014, 03:53 AM
Current and pricey - Jeter

Are Jeter game issued items worth any value considering there is so much game used of his currently on the market?

beaglegypsy003
03-27-2014, 04:51 AM
Buying game-used as an investment is always risky. Current stars are usually over priced. Vintage stuff because not much is out there is safer. The best advice is if you enjoy the hobby, buy what you like. If you want to invest, buy stocks or gold.

jojac
03-27-2014, 07:37 AM
Buying game-used as an investment is always risky. Current stars are usually over priced. Vintage stuff because not much is out there is safer. The best advice is if you enjoy the hobby, buy what you like. If you want to invest, buy stocks or gold.

That's great advice beaglegypsy003. Always buy something you like and something that has some meaning to you. That's where the value is.
I use to lean toward players that my kids rooted for and now its players my grandson enjoys watching. Those item have formed a connection between me and the kids when we look at them.

slab0meat
03-27-2014, 08:55 AM
Are Jeter game issued items worth any value considering there is so much game used of his currently on the market?

I say yes, but as stated before, doing it as an investment may not be wise. But almost anything Jeter-related is pricey.

pungent
03-27-2014, 12:08 PM
I say yes, but as stated before, doing it as an investment may not be wise. But almost anything Jeter-related is pricey.

I know his game used socks go a good amount. But are a pair of game issued cleats/jersey really worth $1000?

bravesfanjd
03-27-2014, 12:50 PM
At the end of the day it is all a gamble. It may be worth it or you could end up with items that you never get your money back. I always feel that with memorabilia hobbies most people who get involved have disposable income and so I feel you will always find a buyer the question is can you find a buyer willing to pay your price. On this fourm most people are educated and are going to know the true value. But in five years when jeter or chipper or Mariano are going into the hof is your average ebay collector going to have as much information as a year round collector or are they going to get swept up in the excitement wave and decide they have to have It no matter the cost.

The biggest concern you should have is there is still a list with about 100 names of people who did ped's and if a player that seems like a safe bet gets listed you could end up having a worthless item on your hands

I personally do not believe any of the players listed in the post have ever used ped's it was more of a general statement

Josh

slab0meat
03-27-2014, 12:50 PM
"Worth" is very relative.