PDA

View Full Version : About when did the Steelers stop using the paper thin logo on helmets & logo question

War Helmets
03-26-2014, 07:30 PM
I am offered to buy a team issued Steelers helmet supposively owned by a former equipment guy & the logo decal is like the current glossy thicker ones compared to the thin ones from back in the day & the word Steelers has the little spaces between the S's & the E's just like the logo you will see in the end zone & T shirts ect.I was wanting to know around the vicinity when the Steelers quit using the paper thin logo on the helmets & was the word "Steelers" ever stenciled on the logo with the little spaces between the S's & the E's on the helmet logo for a season or two? I looked on wekipedia & it said they experimented in the 80's with the logo & then changed it back to a solid Steelers writing on the logo.HELP!

genius
03-26-2014, 08:57 PM
there is another thread somewhere on this subject, stencil logo is very rare and should be underneath a clear shell if I'm not mistaken. Not sure if they ever used that logo on a decal or sticker applied in a traditional way on the surface of the helmet.

thesteelcurtain58
03-26-2014, 09:43 PM
Hey war helmets,

Did you decide just to manufacture your own Steeler helmets instead of buying them for your own collection? I hope. I'm the one you wanted to buy a legit helmet from and wanted all the high resolution pictures from all the different angles. I hope the pics i sent you helped you. I forgot if the logo was stenciled or not. If you can repost that pic we can help you.

But I was under the impression you wanted to buy mine. You were very excited and complimentary and saying how you couldn't wait to buy since legit Pitt helmets are so rare. We emailed a lot back and forth. Once I sent you pics all of the sudden you suddenly became uninterested and stopped communication. If you decide just to make a helmet..for your own collection I hope...I still have a great collection of legit helmets from diff eras. Like I said. I'm not sure we even got around to a price because you wouldn't ever give me a price range that you were looking for. Im uncomfortable sending too many high def pics that you requested due to some who are manufacturing fake helmets. I'm def not accusing you of this. You do have a very healthy interest in the small details. As do I.

Oh, for the fourth time...did you used to sell helmets at show? Because I could swear I saw a couple guys selling under the same name.."war helmets" at various shows. But those guys def were trying to sell fake Steeler helmets. I can't vouch for the other helmets they had.

War Helmets
03-26-2014, 09:44 PM
Not all Steelers wore a clear shell lid.Franco & Jack didn't I know.I will post a photo of the rare Steelers stencil logo tomorrow.I can't find one like it anywhere

War Helmets
03-26-2014, 09:52 PM
Hey war helmets,

Did you decide just to manufacture your own Steeler helmets instead of buying them for your own collection? I hope. I'm the one you wanted to buy a legit helmet from and wanted all the high resolution pictures from all the different angles. I hope the pics i sent you helped you. I forgot if the logo was stenciled or not. If you can repost that pic we can help you.

But I was under the impression you wanted to buy mine. You were very excited and complimentary and saying how you couldn't wait to buy since legit Pitt helmets are so rare. We emailed a lot back and forth. Once I sent you pics all of the sudden you suddenly became uninterested and stopped communication. If you decide just to make a helmet..for your own collection I hope...I still have a great collection of legit helmets from diff eras. Like I said. I'm not sure we even got around to a price because you wouldn't ever give me a price range that you were looking for. Im uncomfortable sending too many high def pics that you requested due to some who are manufacturing fake helmets. I'm def not accusing you of this. You do have a very healthy interest in the small details. As do I.

Oh, for the fourth time...did you used to sell helmets at show? Because I could swear I saw a couple guys selling under the same name.."war helmets" at various shows. But those guys def were trying to sell fake Steeler helmets. I can't vouch for the other helmets they had. I was just about to find your email address.No it is from a guy ebay that wants to sell it to me.No I am a buyer only.Looks like they copped my awesome user name lol.Email me at brandonwatson77@yahoo.com I might buy #36 or Ilkin if you still would like to sell one

thesteelcurtain58
03-26-2014, 09:55 PM
Oh, and if you look at my many posts I've shared I haven't posted any Pitt helmets due to the fact I've been solicited by known forgers and don't want to contribute to more fakes. The forgers are good in their research. Early on I've bought a fake which is now a door stop. And not even for sale. And like i told war helmets I have helmets from every decade 70s up with a great many HOFers.

I don't want to educate forgers who read this but they do have a problem reproducing the Steeler logo as questioned and the numerals. As well as many other small markings that is not well known. But, as I said, a few forgers are good with their extensive research, questions, acquiring high resolution photos etc. All Steeler gear is hard to come by and a good helmet could net them thousands which i don't want to contribute to.

At one show there was a guy who had a decent reproduction of a lambert helmet in a glass case but was obvious if you knew what to look for. Unfort not to the average collector who prob lost thousands.

War Helmets
03-26-2014, 10:12 PM
Oh, and if you look at my many posts I've shared I haven't posted any Pitt helmets due to the fact I've been solicited by known forgers and don't want to contribute to more fakes. The forgers are good in their research. Early on I've bought a fake which is now a door stop. And not even for sale. And like i told war helmets I have helmets from every decade 70s up with a great many HOFers.

I don't want to educate forgers who read this but they do have a problem reproducing the Steeler logo as questioned and the numerals. As well as many other small markings that is not well known. But, as I said, a few forgers are good with their extensive research, questions, acquiring high resolution photos etc. All Steeler gear is hard to come by and a good helmet could net them thousands which i don't want to contribute to.

At one show there was a guy who had a decent reproduction of a lambert helmet in a glass case but was obvious if you knew what to look for. Unfort not to the average collector who prob lost thousands.Selling fakes is the last thing I would do on this planet.I am only a buyer.I just want one game used Steelers helmet for my collection & maybe a Maxpro if I ever got a great deal.I am just asking questions to learn.Its very interesting to me

thesteelcurtain58
03-26-2014, 10:21 PM
If you see, I've said many times, specifically that I'm not accusing you of making fakes to sell. Some people do make reproductions for their own collection. Abs nothing wrong with that. I've said I'm not accusing you but other forgers have def approached me for info. I've gone out of my way to not accuse you and made it clear. So that you can acquire the info you're looking for.

Heck, I've even sent you pictures of legitimate pitt helmets myself. When you told me you were interested in buying. Unfortunately you didnt want any of my helmets. No big deal, like i said, I've never sold one of my Pitt stuff and was hesitant to do so.

Oh, for the fifth time...have you sold at shows?

Because I could almost swear I've seen a couple guys selling college and NFL helmets with the same name "war helmets" they may be the same guys that took your email address with the same name.

War Helmets
03-26-2014, 10:26 PM
If you see, I've said many times, specifically that I'm not accusing you of making fakes to sell. Some people do make reproductions for their own collection. Abs nothing wrong with that. I've said I'm not accusing you but other forgers have def approached me for info. I've gone out of my way to not accuse you and made it clear. So that you can acquire the info you're looking for.

Heck, I've even sent you pictures of legitimate pitt helmets myself. When you told me you were interested in buying. Unfortunately you didnt want any of my helmets. No big deal, like i said, I've never sold one of my Pitt stuff and was hesitant to do so.

Oh, for the fifth time...have you sold at shows?

Because I could almost swear I've seen a couple guys selling college and NFL helmets with the same name "war helmets" they may be the same guys that took your email address with the same name.

No I have never sold anything at a show & you only sent me one pic of helmet from 20 feet away.Don't accuse me again

War Helmets
03-26-2014, 10:31 PM
All I do is ask a question about a different Steelers logo & suddenly I make fakes.I thought this site is for knowledge?There is nothing I hate more than a thief & being accused of one makes me very angry!:mad:

War Helmets
03-27-2014, 10:22 AM
https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1897841_703209043059185_1715235541_n.jpg
Here is the helmet I have a chance to buy form a lad on ebay.He is selling it as a team issued never worn helmet.If you look you will see the spaces between the S's & T's and I have never seen that before.That is why I asked the question.It also seems like it has a glossy thickness to it,not paper thin.Did the Steelers ever use this lightly changed logo for a season or two & change back?

War Helmets
03-27-2014, 10:31 AM
https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1897841_703209043059185_1715235541_n.jpg
Here is the helmet I have a chance to buy form a lad on ebay.He is selling it as a team issued never worn helmet.If you look you will see the spaces between the S's & T's and I have never seen that before.That is why I asked the question.It also seems like it has a glossy thickness to it,not paper thin.Did the Steelers ever use this lightly changed logo for a season or two & change back?

I really want a Steelers gamer for my collection,not an issued lid.But for $175 it could get me by till I find a gamer someday.If anybody has a gamer they would like to sell email me at brandonwatson77@yahoo.com

genius
03-27-2014, 11:32 PM
Check out this thread, probably has the info you need to pull the trigger on that helmet:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=58862