PDA

View Full Version : Al Simmons Pro Bat in Goldin Auctions...

brianborsch
03-27-2014, 07:18 PM
Hi!

I noticed there is a vintage Al Simmons unused pro bat in Goldin's upcoming auction, but I was curious about it since I thought pro bats had 125 in the centerbrand and this bat has the 40 AS which I thought represented an Al Simmons store model bat? It's a beautiful bat, but did pros order those types of bats?

yanks12025
03-27-2014, 08:06 PM
That's 100% a store model. Not sure how taube can call it a professional model. So I guess the Ruth 40 BR I used to own were pro models

bat_master
03-27-2014, 09:00 PM
Definitely something amiss with that one. The letter picture in the lot listing has the era listed as 1928-30. However, the BONE RUBBED marking near the center label was used in 1931 only.

staindsox
03-27-2014, 09:16 PM
Inch marking on the knob too.

KGoldin
03-28-2014, 08:21 AM
I am going to forward this link to John taube and ask for explanation
Will post results.

brianborsch
03-28-2014, 11:18 AM
Thanks Ken!

KGoldin
03-28-2014, 05:28 PM
Bat has been pulled
John was appalled, it was a clerical error and he was not happy.
Letter ripped up
If you ever see something like this again, please email me at ken@goldinauctions.com so I cn just pull immediately
Thank you

R. C. Walker
03-28-2014, 07:23 PM
Bat has been pulled
Letter ripped up
If you ever see something like this again, please email me at ken@goldinauctions.com so I cn just pull immediately
Thank you

Comical . . .

brianborsch
04-01-2014, 06:11 PM
Will do Ken. Sorry. I didn't think people would be negative about it. I should have known better. I was just trying to make sure with the vintage collectors because it was a nice looking bat!

danesei@yahoo.com
04-01-2014, 08:34 PM
Bat has been pulled
Letter ripped up
Thank you

I agree about there being a big issue with this being a clerical error. Does PSA issue letters of non-authenticity for store model bats? I mean, what would the error have been?

KGoldin
04-01-2014, 11:06 PM
I agree about there being a big issue with this being a clerical error. Does PSA issue letters of non-authenticity for store model bats? I mean, what would the error have been?

The error was , in a stack of letters to be signed for an auction that had many bats, one of the office workers in his office used the template 'professional model bat' instead of 'store model bat' as everything else they ran off was indeed 'professional model'
It happens, no one is happy when it does, but when it was discovered, we pulled the item. It would have been nice to run it as a mint store model bat as it would have gotten a few hundred $ as a mint example, but the write up and LOA were ruined.
if you want to crucify PSA for what I can tell you is 1000% honest clerical error, go ahead. but in any business, unfortunately, it happens, occasionally. the key is to resolve it immediately when you notice it. which was done in this case

commando
04-02-2014, 02:15 AM
The error was , in a stack of letters to be signed for an auction that had many bats, one of the office workers in his office used the template 'professional model bat' instead of 'store model bat' as everything else they ran off was indeed 'professional model'
It happens, no one is happy when it does, but when it was discovered, we pulled the item. It would have been nice to run it as a mint store model bat as it would have gotten a few hundred $ as a mint example, but the write up and LOA were ruined.
if you want to crucify PSA for what I can tell you is 1000% honest clerical error, go ahead. but in any business, unfortunately, it happens, occasionally. the key is to resolve it immediately when you notice it. which was done in this case

Come on collectors, this explanation makes perfect sense. Goldin Auctions isn't going to knowingly try to pass off an obvious store-model bat as the real thing.

An embarrassing error?... Yes. A knowing and willing act of deceit?... Nope.

BTW, how many of you have seen sealed PSA holders where the cards were labeled incorrectly? Sorry, but IT HAPPENS.

brianborsch
04-02-2014, 06:41 AM
Exactly. It totally makes sense. People need to lighten up. Let's stop making this bigger than it needs to be.

danesei@yahoo.com
04-02-2014, 09:08 PM

Ahh, okay. I didn't realize they did store model LOAs. I would have figured they'd just fail the bat if it weren't a professional model, since the service is authentication of professional bats. I'm not crucifying anyone. That's why I asked if they did authentications for store models or non-authentic letters. I've never had a bat rejected (mostly because I can't see paying authentication plus grading for something that I'm not pretty sure is real), so I didn't know what they would do in the event one wasn't an authentic pro bat.

I'm wondering, since it was a clerical mistake, will PSA issue a store model LOA to the consignor? I mean, if they still wanted to sell it, could John mail you the correct LOA?

KGoldin
04-02-2014, 10:49 PM
Ahh, okay. I didn't realize they did store model LOAs. I would have figured they'd just fail the bat if it weren't a professional model, since the service is authentication of professional bats. I'm not crucifying anyone. That's why I asked if they did authentications for store models or non-authentic letters. I've never had a bat rejected (mostly because I can't see paying authentication plus grading for something that I'm not pretty sure is real), so I didn't know what they would do in the event one wasn't an authentic pro bat.

I'm wondering, since it was a clerical mistake, will PSA issue a store model LOA to the consignor? I mean, if they still wanted to sell it, could John mail you the correct LOA?

Yes, they do LOAs for store model bats, YES it is corrected , and it will be in the next auction.