PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Party Selling Game Used

jbean023
03-28-2014, 09:10 AM
Hi,

Just wanted to get a few collectors thoughts and didn't want to hijack Russell's thread. He's a good guy, I'm happy for him getting his position and have exchanged a few emails in past years so this is in no way directed at him. I think 3rd party sellers are going to have tough time with game used in the upcoming years(economic predictions of inflation starting to increase and 35% unemployment by the end of 2016) and I'm not sure if the owners are trying to make a quick fortune or if the teams get aggressive in contact negotiations. For instance the Orioles were a team that didn't sell much game used and when they did it was super cheap, now with 3rd party prices were through the roof at the beginning of last season and you now you see the dropping in prices. Mlb auctions was showing that so when another 50 machado or markakis jerseys hit mlb auctions I wonder if they will all be saying reserve not met at auction end. After seeing the Padres and Rangers list I'm hoping this company doesn't go heels up like the 3rd party that tried with the Dallas Cowboys did before the season even started realizing that you weren't going to get 1,000 minimum for each jersey.

Just wondering collectors thoughts?

Phil316
03-28-2014, 10:23 AM
As someone stated in another thread this game used collecting if it keeps going the way it is it could very well end up like the sports card market.

I hope collectors realize that their Harper gamers, Macho gamers ect will be so plentiful that it will severely alter the prices/value. If you are in it to invest you will most likely be taking a loss. Especially if the teams and mlb keep up this crazy pace of pumping out gamer after gamer.

It stinks in my opinion but that's the reality. I hope that we see these reserves not being met as it will be a rude awakening for some of these clubs.

Chess2899
03-28-2014, 10:36 AM
I am just happy that I started collecting game used stuff 30 plus years ago.
It was so much easier to make a deal with a clubhouse attendant in the 80s or 90s or beg one off a player. Players had 2 road and 2 home uniforms per year while they now appear to have an endless supply of game used jerseys. Yes, one of the teams is giving players 3 jerseys to wear each day on a 3 day weekend just to raise enough money for game worn status. Then, on Monday, the player goes back to his comfortable jersey that he may wear for a few months and keep.

MLB will destroy the game used market just as card companies destroyed the card market by overproducing what was deemed "rare" at the time. When I called Topps on it in my Maddux Refractor lawsuit, they had overproduced the "rare card" times 6 which made it not so rare. Card companies then scrambled to number the cards. Is MLB going to number jerseys in the future? Gee, I have jersey #42 of 1,345 from M. Cabrera. That doesn't sound like an investment at $5000/jersey. But perhaps, you are just happy having a one day used jersey from your favorite player.

As far as the economy is concerned, the government can always print more money, continuing to devalue the dollar and jersey prices will incremently increase until they crash. I am talking about the game used jerseys from recent years.

Now if you want to play a waiting game, you will see cheap sell-offs over the next few years. Those $5000 jerseys may sell for $2000 on ebay because of financial woes causes by today's and tomorrows economy and unemployment which will cause providers for their families to forego collecting pleasure. You can't feed kids with a jersey.

I will still collect, but they will be vintage and maybe up to 2010 or 2011 of my favorite players. My Maddux collection ended in 2008 and Griffey in 2010 so I am pretty satisfied. I collect for my pleasure, not investment, but if the value does rise, I won't complain. I don't see investments rising for the new young players because MLB is looking for fast cash just like those card companies. I had a $million dollars worth of cards in 1998 that bottomed out to pennies on the dollar. I am not falling for that scam again.

Joe
sentefjoemd@aol.com
Maddux/Griffey/Brett/Schmidt/Carlton/Rose game used collector

Masimen
03-28-2014, 10:49 AM
Hi,

Just wanted to get a few collectors thoughts and didn't want to hijack Russell's thread. He's a good guy, I'm happy for him getting his position and have exchanged a few emails in past years so this is in no way directed at him. I think 3rd party sellers are going to have tough time with game used in the upcoming years(economic predictions of inflation starting to increase and 35% unemployment by the end of 2016) and I'm not sure if the owners are trying to make a quick fortune or if the teams get aggressive in contact negotiations. For instance the Orioles were a team that didn't sell much game used and when they did it was super cheap, now with 3rd party prices were through the roof at the beginning of last season and you now you see the dropping in prices. Mlb auctions was showing that so when another 50 machado or markakis jerseys hit mlb auctions I wonder if they will all be saying reserve not met at auction end. After seeing the Padres and Rangers list I'm hoping this company doesn't go heels up like the 3rd party that tried with the Dallas Cowboys did before the season even started realizing that you weren't going to get 1,000 minimum for each jersey.

If unemployment in this country ever gets to 35% the last thing we will be worrying about is game used prices!!!!!!

You make a good point though. With some modern players stuff going for such crazy premiums, I just don't see it lasting aside from a very very few select players.

kellsox
03-28-2014, 12:06 PM
The biggest question should be when do the tigers sell the "used " sewing machine that stitches all of the 100s of the 1 game -used Miguel Cabrera jerseys that will soon flood the market

bravesfanjd
03-28-2014, 12:38 PM
I am more curious in the next list because even though the prices were high I take into account it is opening day items as the season goes on and it isn't a special series will the prices be adjusted to show that.

Steeleraddict
03-28-2014, 01:28 PM
Hi Phil, that was me with some thoughts on the current state of the market.

It's a little tricky or disingenuous of the 3rd party on MLB, NBA etc auction sites. More so when they set their minimum bid at or usually above market price. It has turned me off from bidding and for a fact have passed on jerseys that I may have paid that amount in a real auction.

But I have my harpers and they continue to pump them out about every 3 wks for $5k minimum. During his rookie year there were bidding wars for GU jerseys. One nondescript jersey going for 10 k I believe. Then 8, then 7k. Now no bidders at $5000 minimum worn for a handful of games. That's one who I follow. Also, they do it for their phenom pitcher. But I've noticed the same going for different clubs. Amd Harper, trout etc you still have 15+ years of jerseys. The market, our community isn't big enough to sustain those prices.

The Texas rangers also being one of them. ESP when they had Josh Hamilton.

It's almost literally killing the goose. And as Phil316 mentioned very similar to what happened to the card market. Here Steiner, MLB are pushing jerseys worn for 3-5 games, maybe. Mariano...used in 1 game each jersey...so 1 inning?

Thats why new York jets gear is cheap and I believe the dolphins.
Oh, I got a game issued , tailored NYJ jerseys, highest quality, sewn
patches etc for somewhere near or less than 100 bucks. Waaaay less than retail, better and big enough to wear around, yard work, fishing etc. And this was a quarterback's.

35% unemployment? Ugh. We'll be using these jerseys for TP.

Cubsfan4life
03-28-2014, 02:24 PM
Ya teams have essentially killed the modern game used jersey market by flooding it. At least there are still some rare game used items out there to collect.

frikativ54
03-28-2014, 02:51 PM
The biggest question should be when do the tigers sell the "used " sewing machine that stitches all of the 100s of the 1 game -used Miguel Cabrera jerseys that will soon flood the market

Best thing I've read all day.

LMAO! :p

In all seriousness, I really do see game-used going in the direction of cards. Especially game-used baseballs. It seems as if everybody's got them, that everybody's selling them. Yet, is any third party collector/investor making money on such balls?

The good news is that if you want to collect baseballs from a certain game you were at, or if you have a certain favorite play, you may be able to pick up the very baseball(s). I've had those experiences, and they are delightful. However, if you are looking at collecting as an investment, I don't see how you can do it with the balls.

Now, when I purchase game-used baseballs, I don't do it with any expectation of a profit. I buy from players I like, and from games I am at. That way, they mean something to me. I wouldn't sell the majority of them, and they are fun for me. This is what collecting is about, IMHO.

BamaHater
03-28-2014, 03:03 PM
My take on Game Used is that many 3rd party dealers have priced many people out of the market with the help of the teams. If you look at what a lot of teams do, they award a company like Steiner the exclusive contact for the team for game used. Companies then know that you have to go through them to get what you want since it's available no where else. They can go charging $$$ for item you know is not worth the price. Just look at this team issued Shawn Kelly Yankees jersey they are selling for $350. No way in hell this is worth $350 for a TI jersey of a career 14-11 pitcher http://www.steinersports.com/shawn-kelley-jersey-ny-yankees-team-issued-27-grey-jersey-size-48-ek810912.html

xsentrixsupra
03-28-2014, 03:35 PM
I think the baseball model is the best in the business as far as making sure stuff is authentic and the approach the league itself has taken to the hobby. I do think though with that awareness though, comes what you guys are talking about as far as over saturation. Probably a double edged sword.

rufusandherschel
03-28-2014, 03:45 PM
MLB will destroy the game used market just as card companies destroyed the card market by overproducing what was deemed "rare" at the time.

Now if you want to play a waiting game, you will see cheap sell-offs over the next few years.

I don't see investments rising for the new young players because MLB is looking for fast cash just like those card companies.

Joe
sentefjoemd@aol.com
Maddux/Griffey/Brett/Schmidt/Carlton/Rose game used collector

Right on the mark!

bravesfanjd
03-28-2014, 04:15 PM
Now if you want to play a waiting game, you will see cheap sell-offs over the next few years. Those $5000 jerseys may sell for $2000 on ebay because of financial woes causes by today's and tomorrows economy and unemployment which will cause providers for their families to forego collecting pleasure. You can't feed kids with a jersey.

I agree that you will always find items cheaper as time goes on as long as a new supply continues to show up in the market which I think mlb will continue to do but that is with any item in terms of initial excitement high prices and then as it becomes more normal the price will drop and then prices will go back up as milestones and hof consideration are met.

When I got involved in buying gu items I realized from the start that only people with money to spend on these types of items got involved so I had to realize that I would be outspent on certain items and that I wouldn't be able to buy everything I wanted because somebody would probably have more purchasing power then I would. So saying that I also feel that what drives up initial prices is that fact that you have wealthy people who both want the item and that once all of that demand is met you are going to get lower price points because now you are so to speak selling to a different group of people with lower financial power then the initial group who pushed prices to a point that were never accurate for that specific item to begin with it was more desire based on lots of financial power to fill that desire then actual worth and investment opportunity so I think when we see prices drop they are probably dropping to the price they should have always been valued at not the price they were selling for

paul457
03-28-2014, 04:16 PM
As someone stated in another thread this game used collecting if it keeps going the way it is it could very well end up like the sports card market.

I've been saying this for a few years now, which is why my collection is getting smaller, and focusing on key pieces (quality vs quantity). If you need a true indicator look at Peyton Manning and the fact that he wears like 3 jerseys per quarter :p

These are fantastic collectibles, but you can see how the hobby is trending up, which means prices will spike, level off, the drop like a rock.

Roady
03-28-2014, 04:46 PM
Maybe it will effect those who are buying from the sale list that are sent out from the teams and then re-selling on Ebay for triple price.
You know the flippers who gobble up the good deals before the true collectors get a chance to buy them.
You know who you are.

jbean023
03-28-2014, 05:25 PM
I'll kind of get off track and touch on my opinion with teams as well as 3rd party.

Steiner and Meigray both will work with you if you are repeat customers. Also, I have had nothing but top notch service from both sides.

The thing is I don't mind paying $1K for a jersey that was worn at home games for 2 months rather than $600 for one series or game.

Thing to look for is players do have they favorite jerseys and are superstitious, a chris johnson sold on ebay last night and congrats to the owner jersey looked worn for half the season. There are heavy use jerseys still out there with one game jerseys wore in between. Off sport but I seen many big name football players last year during the national anthem with thrashed jerseys so obviously multiple game use.

There are teams out there that still that I hope don't join in the flood mix at least from what I see-Dodgers, Angels, Cards, Rockies, Indians, Marlins, white sox, padres (looks to change this season) Rays (i like how the rays program works), maybe a couple others. From my expierence unless you are at the game you aren't getting dodgers,cards,or angels items and an occasional mlb auctions siting.

Tigers - out of control with flooding but I respect they start all there auctions at .99 no reserve usually besides miggy and fair customer service

Orioles- crazy prices, andruw has great customer service but 500$ for a markakis and still hasn't hit reserve. If you hit the right time you can get a longo for that

red sox- I believe they didn't have many reserves either but a lot of items from last year still don't seem to surface once purchased

Cubs- flood central last season on jerseys, unrealistic prices for one game jerseys,
decent customer service

Anyone else want to add their team and thoughts?

lakeerie92
03-28-2014, 06:47 PM
jbean023- I don't take offense to anything you said and I tend to agree with you. The initial offering is trying to get a feel for the prices. The value of an item is only what someone is willing to pay for it. I am actively working on adjusting the prices to real world value and we will see where it goes from there. I have gotten really good reception to my feedback from everyone in the program and I am hoping with my touch it can be a third party program that is run similar to a direct from the team program. There is a lot of interest in getting this right and expanding to other teams. I am a collector first and always will be. I make plenty of money through the Navy so this job isn't about money for me. I have the hopes of buying an item or two through the program too.

CollectGU
03-28-2014, 07:11 PM
Hi,

I think 3rd party sellers are going to have tough time with game used in the upcoming years(economic predictions of inflation starting to increase and 35% unemployment by the end of 2016)

If there is ever 35% unemployment rate in the U.S., there likely won't be any sport teams for players to wear jerseys for...