PDA

View Full Version : Shipping To Japan?

3arod13
04-02-2014, 11:22 AM
SHIPPING TO JAPAN

Buyer from Japan wants me to send an item REGISTERED MAIL with INSURANCE and TRACKING.

Never shipped overseas because I’ve heard too many horror stories.

Anything I need to know or be concerned about?

helf35
04-02-2014, 11:29 AM
i shipped a signed game used andruw jones hat to japan about 4 months ago. fortunantly i didnt have any trouble. i sent it using usps and requested a sig comformation. cant get tracking info after it leaves the states. UPS or Fed ex would cost more but will prob give you more peace of mind.

xsentrixsupra
04-02-2014, 11:53 AM
I shipped a game used Kobe jersey to China once, while not Japan I feel if anything China would be more difficult. It was not cheap to ship over there with insurance and tracking and confirmation. The guy was pretty cool though so I didn't feel horrible about it. It took about a month, not sure if thats long or short as far as a delay, but when he did get it, he confirmed through ebay the package was received before Fedex notified me it was received.

Hah, not to self, next time selling jersey on ebay, make sure its only viewable to people in the states!

danesei@yahoo.com
04-03-2014, 03:46 AM
SHIPPING TO JAPAN

Buyer from Japan wants me to send an item REGISTERED MAIL with INSURANCE and TRACKING.

Never shipped overseas because I’ve heard too many horror stories.

Anything I need to know or be concerned about?

I don't think Registered Mail for USPS works for overseas. You might need to send it by DHL or something similar.

Misha
04-03-2014, 10:42 AM
Living in Japan I can tell you the postal service is a hundred times better than in the USA (as is most service). If a package cannot be received by the recipient they NEVER just leave it in front of the house/apartment. They leave a paper saying they tried to deliver something, then I can call up and request a specific date and time block to have it re delivered, or pick it up myself.

Even if for some reason it is left outside I'm 99.9% sure no one will take it. It's so nice living here where I can leave my bag and ipad on my seat at Starbucks to go to the toilet and find them right where I left them.

As long as you are comfortable with the buyer I'm sure you’ll have no worries about the delivery (at least after it arrives in Japan)

3arod13
04-03-2014, 11:14 AM
UPS is $123 for delivery Wednesday, 9 April
DHL is $119 (without protection for lost/stolen). Want item authenticated to prove value.

Very expensive. We're talking about a card in a holder, in a package 7x8.

Seems to get there quickly, but expensive.

TNTtoys
04-03-2014, 12:35 PM
I would use Priority International... Will get there in about a week, cost you about a third of that price, and is extremely reliable from my own experience. The guy I deal with at the post office has stated before how reliable this method is to Japan.

danesei@yahoo.com
04-03-2014, 01:56 PM
DHL is $119 (without protection for lost/stolen). Want item authenticated to prove value.

Can't you just ship it first class with signature confirmation? I know someone mentioned Priority Mail, but you need to be careful with that, as some packages with Priority Mail don't get scanned once they leave the country.

both-teams-played-hard
04-03-2014, 02:42 PM
I would use Priority International... Will get there in about a week, cost you about a third of that price, and is extremely reliable from my own experience. The guy I deal with at the post office has stated before how reliable this method is to Japan.

True. Use US Express mail. Gives a tracking number and tracked til the package is delivered, not just reaches customs. PayPal requires a tracking number, if your buyer opens a dispute.

rudyjj18
04-03-2014, 03:48 PM

I was trying to ship a bat to Canada and it was over $100. Granted your item is much smaller...

3arod13
04-07-2014, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the comments. I mailed the card via UPS on Friday around 4pm and it arrived yesterday. Was surprised it made it to Japan so quickly. But $101 for postage is a lot for mailing just one card. However, buyer was really happy! Again, thanks!