PDA

View Full Version : Random kindness because of my collection.

gingi79
04-05-2014, 07:54 PM
I wanted to relate this story because it was such a random act of kindness and really made my week.

My game used collection mainly focuses on two guys, Sami Salo and Matt Diaz. As you can see in my signature, I have websites dedicated to my collection of each player, respectively. As I am always on the prowl for new items, each site also has a "Contact the Admin" button to email me leads, comment on the collection or ask questions. Each also has a list of Styles and items I am hoping to acquire. On the Diaz site, I mention hoping to get any jersey from his time in college at FSU.

In all the time these two sites have been up, I've received less than a half dozen emails and most of those were positive comments on the items. So imagine my surprise March 29th when I received a message from a kind gentleman named Ray. He writes:
Hello I have a fsu team baseball poster from the late 1990s signed by most of the team including Matt. You may have it if you want it.....I'll even ship it to you. Just want it to go to a good home. I got it signed when I was in school there.

A few days later, I received in the mail, a tube, sent Priority mail, carefully packaged to prevent any damage. There are over 15 signatures including a Pre-Rookie Matt Diaz #32 signature without the bible passage he has used since I've been collecting his stuff. It is very different than his current sig and is prominent on this very sizable poster. I'll be going out tomorrow for a frame and then proudly adding it to my website.

Amazing the random acts of kindness people are capable of. Rather than try to sell it or even trade it to me or ask if I'd be interested, Ray just thought (correctly) that I'd really enjoy it as part of my collection. He then dug into his own pocket, shelled out a few bucks, took the time to pack it carefully and make a random stranger happy. How great is that?

Roady
04-05-2014, 07:56 PM
Great story! :)

There are those out there who love others even if they are strangers.

frikativ54
04-05-2014, 08:25 PM
Nice to hear a good thing like that, when there seem to be so many unscrupulous sellers.

Wrigley2010
04-05-2014, 09:09 PM
Fantastic story Gingi! Ray is definitely someone who "gets it" and I commend him for it.

tom1315
04-06-2014, 07:38 PM
Great story indeed and thanks for sharing…there are indeed many 'princes' in this world and that gentleman is one.

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 alumni

sox83cubs84
04-06-2014, 08:58 PM
Gingi:

We've always known you to be a real fan and true collector. That being the case, I'm glad someone like you got to benefit from this act of kindness.

Dave Miedema

gingi79
04-10-2014, 09:34 PM
You guys are awesome, thanks for the support. When I thought it couldn't get better, I tweeted Matt about this post and the guy "Favorites" it. Sure a re-tweet or reply would have been even more epic but the fact he knows and approves it rather incredible. :D

ChrisCavalier
04-13-2014, 12:30 AM
Dude, that is a GREAT story! It is really awesome to hear someone would do something like that simply to make someone happy.

Btw, in case anyone similar is out there, I am a big fan of Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig!! :o

-Chris

tigerdale
04-21-2014, 08:16 AM
Matt,
I just read this post for the first time!!! Wow!! How cool is that!!!! It couldn't have happened to a better guy!! There's a ton of good in the world & its nice to hear these stories. Anxious to see a photo all framed up!!
Dale