PDA

View Full Version : MLB game used cleats

BRONXBOMBERS1
04-06-2014, 06:20 AM
Quick question for all collectors of game used memorbilia I am a big collector of Yankees game used cleats my question is how many pairs do a player approximately use in a season
Thanks guys
Sal bronxbombers1

danesei@yahoo.com
04-06-2014, 01:56 PM
Quick question for all collectors of game used memorbilia I am a big collector of Yankees game used cleats my question is how many pairs do a player approximately use in a season
Thanks guys
Sal bronxbombers1

Based upon Miguel Cabrera, I'd estimate that players change their cleats every 15-20 games, with two or three pairs used in each of those rotations, so 16-30 a season?

johnsontravis@ymail.com
04-06-2014, 02:04 PM
Based upon Miguel Cabrera, I'd estimate that players change their cleats every 15-20 games, with two or three pairs used in each of those rotations, so 16-30 a season?

Judging by the amount you see on the market that seems like a steep estimate. Where do they all go?

Though I will say bigger stars go through more than others.

danesei@yahoo.com
04-06-2014, 02:14 PM
Judging by the amount you see on the market that seems like a steep estimate. Where do they all go?

Though I will say bigger stars go through more than others.

I would assume that a large number of them end up in the trash or donated to a local charity/thrift. Not all items go to dealers/MLB. Some get donated and some are kept by the players/friends. Oh, and the 16-30 includes all types of cleats (spikes, turf shoes, etc). I guess if you only count batting cleats, then the range drops to 8-10 per season.

Lunytune2
04-06-2014, 02:20 PM
I asked Neil Walker and he said they change about every 10 games ... I am also a cleat collector (Pirates) .. and just a tip , they display great in the IKEA Detolf cases !!

BRONXBOMBERS1
04-06-2014, 04:40 PM
Hey guys thanks for replying to my question very much appreciated
Yes I too heard around 8-10 I had also heard 6-8 but whatever it is I feel I'm sure you all will too I feel they are the rarest piece of equipment to collect from players I had Tino Martinez sign a game used pair from 2000 and he said wow usually you see bats hats jerseys but cleats and gloves I rarely see so I though that was pretty intresting
And Mark Texieria recognized the game used cleats I made him sign he said I remember those I remember those I wore these in 2009 he was right and he signed them that way as well
Don Mattingly was also there and was waiting for me to give him a pair of cleats he said hey what about me I said I'm sorry sir but I'm trying to get a pair of your cleats but I haven't located a pair yet I said sure we will cross paths again hey he shook my hand and said I'm sure we will great day at the Steiner signing

BRONXBOMBERS1
04-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Going to check out the cases in ikea as well I display them in a glass basketball octogon case the rest I am waiting to purchase another curio 50x80 to display my game used cleats batting gloves hats and baseballs

danesei@yahoo.com
04-06-2014, 04:49 PM
Yes I too heard around 8-10 I had also heard 6-8 but whatever it is I feel I'm sure you all will too I feel they are the rarest piece of equipment to collect from players

I still think that distinction belongs to fielding gloves.

Lunytune2
04-06-2014, 05:21 PM
Going to check out the cases in ikea as well I display them in a glass basketball octogon case the rest I am waiting to purchase another curio 50x80 to display my game used cleats batting gloves hats and baseballs

You can only display 4 pairs per case ... I keep trying to get a good picture of mine , but they are in a dark corner of my room. Here is what they look like

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o502/gremmiex/detolf-glass-door-cabinet__72928_PE189178_S4_zpsdf728224.jpg (http://s1145.photobucket.com/user/gremmiex/media/detolf-glass-door-cabinet__72928_PE189178_S4_zpsdf728224.jpg.html)

rdeversole
04-06-2014, 05:31 PM
The Fabrikor case by Ikea is nice. It holds 6 helmets or 6 pairs of cleats or a mix.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p218/ryaneversole/ScreenShot2014-04-06at63953PM_zps31bdc821.png

johnsontravis@ymail.com
04-06-2014, 05:32 PM
I still think that distinction belongs to fielding gloves.

Idk I am thinking the jock strap is probably the rarest. Not that I would want one.

Lunytune2
04-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Detolfs are $64 compared to $180 for the other.

BRONXBOMBERS1
04-06-2014, 05:47 PM
Those are nice cases for display yes I have to agree the fielding gloves are probably the rarest thanks for the replies very helpful information

rdeversole
04-06-2014, 05:51 PM
Detolfs are $64 compared to $180 for the other.

True, but the extra money buys you a more stable and resilient case that also holds more.

danesei@yahoo.com
04-06-2014, 05:59 PM
Idk I am thinking the jock strap is probably the rarest. Not that I would want one.

Umm... I'm pretty sure that players don't use the same jockstrap for their entire career. Some fielders do use the same glove for their entire career.

danesei@yahoo.com
04-06-2014, 05:59 PM
True, but the extra money buys you a more stable and resilient case that also holds more.

Do the cases have additional UV coatings to protect the items?

johnsontravis@ymail.com
04-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Umm... I'm pretty sure that players don't use the same jockstrap for their entire career. Some fielders do use the same glove for their entire career.

True but how many times do you see jock straps hitting the open market? ;)

danesei@yahoo.com
04-07-2014, 02:41 AM
True but how many times do you see jock straps hitting the open market? ;)

At least four occasions. I'm sure it would be far more often if there were any sort of demand for it.

And getting this back to cleats, does everyone think cleats are more collectible than the turf shoes?

BRONXBOMBERS1
04-07-2014, 03:45 AM
Yes I think that the metal cleats are far more collectible than turf shoes due to the fact the players get more use out of the metal cleats than turf shoes some turf shoes I have seen show hardly any use sometimes making it hard to determine if they were used or not

rudyjj18
04-07-2014, 08:35 AM
Anyone know if shelves can be removed from the Ikea Detolf to display bats?

xsentrixsupra
04-07-2014, 11:13 AM
I asked Neil Walker and he said they change about every 10 games ... I am also a cleat collector (Pirates) .. and just a tip , they display great in the IKEA Detolf cases !!

I like those a lot, been looking for something just like that! The best part of this website isn't even necessarily seeing everyone's game stuff, but how they display it and where they got it :) IKEA can thank you for 130.00 in sales today :D

Lunytune2
04-07-2014, 11:16 AM
Yes , the whole case you assemble yourself ... but the shelves just rest on a wire frame.

Lunytune2
04-07-2014, 11:20 AM
Maybe they will give me a free one :)

xsentrixsupra
04-07-2014, 11:39 AM
Yes , the whole case you assemble yourself ... but the shelves just rest on a wire frame.

I was thinking of putting football helmets in it, think that'd work well? Like would it be sturdy enough?

Also, kind of a weird question and I'm not sure if you know the answer, probably depends on your age :D

I have my stuff displayed in my home office and usually listen to music in there with a lot of bass........hah, do these things rattle a lot?

Lunytune2
04-07-2014, 01:24 PM
It would be great for football helmets ... and they are VERY sturdy ... I have a 4 year old and an 8 year that run through my house constantly .. it only rattles a little when they are fighting right near it (this is on carpet) . The one in my kitchen on a tile floor will not rattle at all .