PDA

View Full Version : Legendary Maddux Jersey

Chess2899
04-07-2014, 03:57 PM
I bought the 98' Maddux Jersey in last month's auction based on what Legendary stated in their catalog.

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=162866

After I bought it, I had Dave Miedema look it over. Dave noted that the name plate had been replaced noticing the stitch marks on the inside.

I spoke with Legendary and they told me that Maddux jerseys were often lost on the road and they needed local seamstresses to replace the name tag. That is why the font differed.

The Brave's bill of sale showed "game used jersey" with no player's name attached. The sale was in 2006 for the 1998 jersey for $600 which appears to be cheap but Legendary stated that the consigner was closely associated with the Braves and had gotten it from their traveling secreatary, Bill Acree.

I found another game used universe link from December of 2006:
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=5796&highlight=lampson

To me, it looked like the same jersey mentioning the worthless Braves "bill of sale". The Font doesn't match either picture from either the 2006 Mastro Auction or the 2014 Legendary Auction.

So, as a Maddux collector, I like everything perfectly clear. I have never seen nameplate changes like this and I can assure you I have seen over a 100 Maddux and Glavine jerseys. I opined that there were too many questionable variables and requested a refund from Legendary for the $4183 that the jersey cost me.

I spoke with Legendary and the cosigner today. The cosigner thought that the "bill of sale" had noted Maddux's name. He had bought 2 Maddux jerseys at that 2006 event but the "bill of sale" mentions one "game used jersey."

At this time, Legendary did not offer me a refund back. They told me that I knew what I was buying. Really? Did they mention the replaced nameplate? Did they show a picture of the "no name" Braves receipt?

I would like your opinions for the following:
1. Are the Mastro 2006 and Legendary 2014 the same jersey?
2. Do either match the Getty pictures? Look at the spacing in the "A"
3. Do you like having a receipt from the Braves with no player name documented?
4. Did Legendary demonstrate due diligence in offering this jersey?

Should they do the right thing and refund my money, I will let everyone know and will continue to use them. Should they continue to refuse a refund, then we shall see.......................

I appreciate any input. Thank you in advance.

Joe
sentefjoemd@aol.com

Phil316
04-07-2014, 06:21 PM
How come the legendary auction only shows the front of the jersey and not the back or the tagging?

Phil316
04-07-2014, 06:34 PM
Also if they do not offer any other pictures to the prospective buyer they could clearly be hiding something. Why anyone would bid on anything without proper pictures is beyond me.

Chess2899
04-07-2014, 07:34 PM
Also if they do not offer any other pictures to the prospective buyer they could clearly be hiding something. Why anyone would bid on anything without proper pictures is beyond me.

Foolishness! on my part! The desire to reach 100 game used Maddux jerseys. The stitich marks were inside the jersey.
However, this train has not derailed. I am picking up momentum!;)

Phil316
04-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Did you pay with a credit card?

Chess2899
04-07-2014, 08:12 PM
Did you pay with a credit card?

No, I used a cashier's check but I will be OK. In my playing days as a US Chessmaster, I often blundered but there is always a way to turn a losing position into a winning one.

I just wanted an opinion if the 2006 Mastro jersey was the same one as the Legendary 2014. I think I figured it out.

I will let you know that end result.

Phil316
04-07-2014, 08:29 PM
Ok well keep us posted and good luck. :)

net0@thehalf
04-09-2014, 06:36 PM
please refer to the griffey glove post in this thread as well as the rich gossage thread in the game used discussion. two horror stories about the same house and same shenanigans. You can't change a zebras stripes!!! as soon as the fbi is involved its time to spend your money elsewhere!!! Also that Mears A10 griffey glove is laughable and disgusting. luckily this hobby has goldin, since they are the only ones these days without questionable pieces and the ones that are are pulled after research is done.

Chess2899
04-09-2014, 06:42 PM
please refer to the griffey glove post in this thread as well as the rich gossage thread in the game used discussion. two horror stories about the same house and same shenanigans. You can't change a zebras stripes!!! as soon as the fbi is involved its time to spend your money elsewhere!!! Also that Mears A10 griffey glove is laughable and disgusting. luckily this hobby has goldin, since they are the only ones these days without questionable pieces and the ones that are are pulled after research is done.

Ken, is that you???:)

net0@thehalf
04-09-2014, 06:46 PM
Lol. I Wish!!!!

esquiresports
04-10-2014, 12:34 PM
Can you post photos of the back of the jersey? Otherwise no one will be able to answer your questions. Thanks

esquiresports
04-10-2014, 04:12 PM
I would like your opinions for the following:
1. Are the Mastro 2006 and Legendary 2014 the same jersey?
2. Do either match the Getty pictures? Look at the spacing in the "A"
3. Do you like having a receipt from the Braves with no player name documented?
4. Did Legendary demonstrate due diligence in offering this jersey?

Should they do the right thing and refund my money, I will let everyone know and will continue to use them. Should they continue to refuse a refund, then we shall see.......................

I appreciate any input. Thank you in advance.

Joe
sentefjoemd@aol.com

I pulled out my catalog and here are my thoughts:

1. The two jerseys could be the same. Very close. Only possible differences I see are the alignment of nameplate on Legendary jersey appears to start further left, and there may be more space between the "M" and the "A".

2. I don't believe it is a photo match, but the auction description doesn't claim it is a photo match, only an example of non-arched lettering.

3. A receipt with more specificity would of course be preferable, but you were provided with a receipt from Braves, which is all the auction description states.

4. I am not sure what Legendary didn't do that you were expecting. Jerseys from the 1980s and 1990s, as you know, can vary quite a bit. I've seen Bo Jackson photos of him wearing jerseys with the nameplate "Jackson," "B Jackson" and "Jackson B." Many here claimed the "Jackson B" was an obvious fake, and that was never rebutted, but I have a game photo of him in that jersey.

Are you claiming that you never saw that back of the jersey before bidding on it? I have the auction catalog and the photos of the front and back are right there. I am almost certain they were online as well; just reduced post-auction. I've seen this a lot when diligencing items.

I've had issues with several auction houses, but always managed to take care of things behind the scenes. My advice would be to continue discussions privately, although I'm not quite sure what the basis is for your refund claim. Is it that the nameplate was restitched?

Chess2899
04-11-2014, 12:08 AM
I pulled out my catalog and here are my thoughts:

1. The two jerseys could be the same. Very close. Only possible differences I see are the alignment of nameplate on Legendary jersey appears to start further left, and there may be more space between the "M" and the "A".

2. I don't believe it is a photo match, but the auction description doesn't claim it is a photo match, only an example of non-arched lettering.

3. A receipt with more specificity would of course be preferable, but you were provided with a receipt from Braves, which is all the auction description states.

4. I am not sure what Legendary didn't do that you were expecting. Jerseys from the 1980s and 1990s, as you know, can vary quite a bit. I've seen Bo Jackson photos of him wearing jerseys with the nameplate "Jackson," "B Jackson" and "Jackson B." Many here claimed the "Jackson B" was an obvious fake, and that was never rebutted, but I have a game photo of him in that jersey.

Are you claiming that you never saw that back of the jersey before bidding on it? I have the auction catalog and the photos of the front and back are right there. I am almost certain they were online as well; just reduced post-auction. I've seen this a lot when diligencing items.

I've had issues with several auction houses, but always managed to take care of things behind the scenes. My advice would be to continue discussions privately, although I'm not quite sure what the basis is for your refund claim. Is it that the nameplate was restitched?

The stitch marks are on the inside of the jersey. It is a different nameplate. I know who the consigner is. Legendary has agreed to refund me for the jersey. I applaud their final decision.

net0@thehalf
04-11-2014, 06:05 AM
+1 Congrats!

esquiresports
04-11-2014, 03:08 PM
I'm glad it worked out. I'm relatively new to memorabilia collecting (just a few years), but for all the abuse the AHs seem to take, they sure seem to step up. These guys handle so many items there are bound to be questionable items that make it in. I don't hold it against them unless it's obvious. Seems like most of the horror stories are years old, which is nice to see.