PDA

View Full Version : Teams Pre-selling game-used

coxfan
04-07-2014, 04:34 PM
I've just noticed MLB clubs (eg Braves and Red Sox) are allowing people to order game-used items, like balls and bases, before the game's played. The Red Sox site says that owners, players, managers, coaches, and the Hall of Fame can override a pre-order (such as, I suppose, if a no-hitter occurs) in which the buyer gets a refund.

rudyjj18
04-07-2014, 06:40 PM
I know the Brewers did that with their St. Pattys day spring training jerseys. I think they dabble in it with regular season. I know they bring up balls, bats, etc up to their game used kiosk around the 6th inning. I think you can preorder some bases but not sure you can preorder a specific players stuff. Kind of crazy that people are willing to pay for something they've never seen before actually receiving. Doesn't quite float my boat. But I suppose it does for some.

gingi79
04-07-2014, 07:42 PM
I've just noticed MLB clubs (eg Braves and Red Sox) are allowing people to order game-used items, like balls and bases, before the game's played. The Red Sox site says that owners, players, managers, coaches, and the Hall of Fame can override a pre-order (such as, I suppose, if a no-hitter occurs) in which the buyer gets a refund.

The Vancouver Canucks do this too. Plus, they have the added bonus of reserving the right to, for any reason charge more for an item that has already been paid for in full. How the hell that is legal? Selling something, having someone pay for it in full and then deciding that even though our financial transaction is complete, you can just add upcharges?

Reason #72734 why their game worn program is almost as as Mickey Mouse as Steiner.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
04-07-2014, 08:14 PM
A ton of teams do this, most notably teams that really advertise game used memorabilia. A lot you can per order a ball or base and I think the Reds will even deliver you your item halfway through the game. I like the idea as you can watch your item during the game and get good pictures, but other than that the positives are limited.

Phil316
04-07-2014, 08:56 PM
The Vancouver Canucks do this too. Plus, they have the added bonus of reserving the right to, for any reason charge more for an item that has already been paid for in full. How the hell that is legal? Selling something, having someone pay for it in full and then deciding that even though our financial transaction is complete, you can just add upcharges?

Reason #72734 why their game worn program is almost as as Mickey Mouse as Steiner.

They should be giving away stuff this year lol.

lengthwise1
04-07-2014, 08:57 PM
Rockies pre-sold Charlie Blackmons opening day 6 for 6 jersey and cant deliver because it is being retained by club/mlb.

sportsnbikes
04-07-2014, 09:51 PM
MLB and the teams are definitely a large group of capitalists.

lakeerie92
04-07-2014, 10:07 PM
I will presale a game used baseball from the Padres series against the Tigers right now if someone wants to buy one for $35.

lakeerie92
04-07-2014, 10:10 PM
I will also be preselling the event worn sox I will be wearing during the entire game. They will come unwashed with field dirt on them. They will be utilized for walking through the tunnels and grabbing items from the authenticators.

PAC
04-09-2014, 09:13 PM
The Red Sox site says that owners, players, managers, coaches, and the Hall of Fame can override a pre-order (such as, I suppose, if a no-hitter occurs) in which the buyer gets a refund.

That's bullshit. If you pre-order and pre-pay, the item should be yours, regardless of whether or not something significant occurred during the game. That gamble should be an incentive of using the pre-order program.

- You pre-pay $10,000 for the jersey of a guy who has 2,999 hits...and he goes 0 for 5.
- You pre-pay $100 for the jersey of an unknown...and he hits 5 homers.

In both cases, the item is yours. Win some, lose some...the teams would probably come out better in the end.

MLB~NUT
04-09-2014, 09:16 PM
That's bullshit. If you pre-order and pre-pay, the item should be yours, regardless of whether or not something significant occurred during the game. That gamble should be an incentive of using the pre-order program.

- You pre-pay $10,000 for the jersey of a guy who has 2,999 hits...and he goes 0 for 5.

In both cases, the item is yours. Win some, lose some...the teams would probably come out better in the end.

Completely Agree!;)

gingi79
04-10-2014, 09:28 PM

That has been my opinion on the subject since day one as well. Part of the fun from ordering through MeiGray for years on my Sami Salo jerseys was the "Oh boy, what will he score/do in this shirt" and watching box scores and highlights for said events. He may be only my favorite player and only I might care but he's scored exactly 1 hat trick in his career. If somehow he scored 4 goals or had 7 points in a game? I'd have felt like I hit the lotto. As it is, I was able to get his first jersey wearing an "A". Had the team been running things at the time, I shutter to think the up-charge.

Admittedly, I've been affected by this garbage before. When the team first took over the game worn program, I emailed for months, with more than one promise from those in charge mind you, as early as January of their SCF run that if they made the Finals, I'd get first crack at Salo's shirts. Team makes it, sudden change in plans. Now they were "giving the players the Blue jerseys and the team was keeping the Whites" What shows up on NHLAuctions later that year? Their white jerseys. Lucky me, I get to pay hundreds over what normal pricing is for a jersey I was promised 8 months before. Stay classy!

They should be giving away stuff this year lol.

Hard to argue. It's time to stop pretending this wasn't a failed dumb experiment based upon inflated NHL Auction prices and go back to MeiGray. A small token towards die hard fans who collect that would redeem this season. :cool:

johnsontravis@ymail.com
04-10-2014, 09:38 PM

They can do whatever they want and if you don't like it don't do it. I can understand why they would do it and I Dont blame them...I even agree.

It is a program for casual fans, not us collectors.

frikativ54
04-10-2014, 10:16 PM
MLB and the teams are definitely a large group of capitalists.

That's exactly what this is about. Start an authentication program, create demand for "pieces of history," and then selectively screw the customer. If Blackmon has a 6 for 6 game, forget about promises made to collectors for his Coors Field Opening Day gear.

It's all about money, yet Major League Baseball is far from broke. While a good deal can be had here and there, prices keep going up and up, and game used jerseys are being mass-produced. How many Felix Hernandez dugout-worn shirts do the Mariners have to put on their auction site?

Taishan
04-11-2014, 01:25 AM
Can you actually pre-order (or just even order) from the Red Sox?

I've tried emailing many times over the years and only ever heard back once, to which my reply was never responded to.

coxfan
04-11-2014, 02:06 PM
Redsox.com is currently offering pre-ordered game-used balls for upcoming games. You have to order online; I don't see a phone number of e-mail option for questions to them.

lengthwise1
04-15-2014, 11:03 AM
That's exactly what this is about. Start an authentication program, create demand for "pieces of history," and then selectively screw the customer. If Blackmon has a 6 for 6 game, forget about promises made to collectors for his Coors Field Opening Day gear.

It's all about money, yet Major League Baseball is far from broke. While a good deal can be had here and there, prices keep going up and up, and game used jerseys are being mass-produced. How many Felix Hernandez dugout-worn shirts do the Mariners have to put on their auction site?

I fully agree, but what about the player? they dont have any control over any of this and they should and in the case of the Rockies, I know they come first and have first right of refusal on the item, not sure one can really bitch about a player wanting to keep their own stuff.