PDA

View Full Version : GU bats w/year codes omitted

Cubman15
04-07-2014, 07:50 PM
I was looking at a couple of game used Cubs bats tonight, each of which had the year code missing with different explanations. The first bat is a Ryne Sandberg bat, currently on eBay, with the following description:

"PSA bat authenticated. Check out the PSA letter. This is a very rare bat as you can see by the paragraph John Taube wrote in the Comment Section. The year code was omitted off the bat which is not common but rarely happens on a first growth ash bat. Since this is rare, if you look for similar Sandberg bats you won't see this."

There is a Greg Maddux game used bat on Goldin with the following explanation:

" The knob has the stamped model number “256B” and his number “31” written in black marker. According to the PSA/DNA LOA, “a notable feature of this Greg Maddux professional model bat is the absence of a year code and order number stamped on the knob. After 1980, bats manufactured without year codes and order numbers were produced for World Series and All Star Games.” PSA/DNA contacted the manufacturer and were advised they made one bat for Greg Maddux during his first stint with the Chicago Cubs. The single bat was produced for the 1992 All-Star Game. This is the only Rawlings bat made for Maddux, produced for the 1992 All-Star Game. Although Maddux didn’t get an opportunity to hit in the All Star Game (not many pitchers do get a chance nowadays), he obviously used it in batting practice. Tremendous one of a kind bat for the greatest pitcher of our time. Full LOA from PSA/DNA, graded GU 9."

So can anyone give me a little more information? Are both explanations legit? Is either legit? I appreciate your help!

danesei@yahoo.com
04-07-2014, 08:03 PM
I would give some credence to the Maddux explanation, as I've heard that before. If you're sincerely interested, you could always email Rawlings (contact@rawlings.com). They're fairly polite, and usually respond within a week. I don't know where to begin on the Sandberg bat, since the seller posted a very small picture of the LOA, and it looks blurry on my screen.

metsbats
04-09-2014, 05:23 AM
"After 1980, bats manufactured without year codes and order numbers were produced for World Series and All Star Games.”

This is true however it is general knowledge that those special event bats were typically stamped with player initials under the model number.

This info was reported by Mike Montbriand in one of his Gone Bats articles in SCD in the 90's.

metsbats
04-09-2014, 05:42 AM
Regarding the 1992 Maddux I believe the explanation is true.

http://metsbats.webs.com/Microsoft%20Word%20-%20Rawlings%20Adirondack%20Special%20Event%20Bat%2 0Labeling.pdf

The Rawlings special event bat labeling guide put together by members of GUF has a 1992 Dave Winfield WS bat which is only stamped with the model number DW20. While this bat has 92 WS stamped on the barrel over Dave's name which was typical during the 1990 to 1994 time periods it not entirely out of the question that Rawlings produced the 1992 bat with CUBS on the barrel for Maddux to use in the ASG. Rawlings has been known to mis-stamp or inconsistently stamp bats in the past.

metsbats
04-09-2014, 07:05 AM
Regarding the Ryno bat that explanation is correct too.

I once owned a Strawberry 87-89 Rawlings gamer which only had the model number stamped on the knob. The bat was obtained during spring training when fresh bats were given to players to try out from the Rawlings truck. These bats were not consistently stamped so few made it out with only the model number.

Chess2899
04-09-2014, 12:59 PM
Rawlings kept poor records. All of my All Star bats from the 70s and 80 have All Star game on them. I don't have any All Star bats from the 90s, so I am not an expert. Sure, Rawlings could have made only one bat for Maddux to try in 92. Companies will often do that as a business tactic. Whether it was used in batting practice, is unknown. He was taken out of the All Star game for a pinch-hitter so he never batted with it.
The more I learn about game used stuff, the more complicated it gets.
I guess you bid on whatever feels comfortable with you. John Taube is usually pretty good at analyzing bats and I know Ken Goldin wants only the good stuff in his auctions.

metsbats
04-09-2014, 03:10 PM
Good point Chess. The 70s and 80s bats had all star game on the barrels too.