PDA

View Full Version : MLB Jerseys

Lunytune2
04-09-2014, 09:16 AM
I was looking up a bunch of jerseys I recently saw for sale that were MLB authenticated ... are these seriously only worn 1 or 2 games ? That means they go through 75-80 jerseys a year ? Is this true ? I know there have been posts they over do things but this is crazy !!

lengthwise1
04-09-2014, 10:17 AM
I think it really all depends on the team, player and the circumstances. I have Rockies jerseys that are just hammered with use and then I know of situations where they have one use jerseys like opening day or specialty jerseys and throwbacks.

MercyMe78
04-09-2014, 11:57 AM
SFGiants already sold their road trip jerseys from the past week...i think worn for about 6 games

Phil316
04-09-2014, 01:00 PM
Game used is a big business for MLB. You are gonna start seeing a flood of jerseys from star players (if we haven't already) in my opinion. As we discussed previously in another thread this is gonna severely saturate the market. Some of us feel it is heading in the direction like the sports card market.

Lunytune2
04-09-2014, 01:00 PM
I have 2 Pirate post season jerseys that were worn in 2 games total (1 regular game 1 post season game) Now they have road jerseys for sale that are only 1 gamers.

esquiresports
04-09-2014, 02:49 PM
I think that, overall, the saturation we are seeing is good for the hobby because it will make game worn jerseys more attainable to a larger portion of the fan base, which should expand the market as a whole. However, as there was in the game used card market, people getting in early (e.g., now) are likely to have some resentment as market prices tumble. I am speaking only with regards to baseball.

Personally, I would be uncomfortable owning game worn jerseys from any current star players (from an investment, not a collector, standpoint).

Similar to the card market, I also believe this will drive up the value of jerseys worn by HOF-caliber players who retired before the flood, as collectors tend to flock toward scarcity. It will likely also help the values of unique pieces (milestone/playoffs).

Chess2899
04-09-2014, 02:56 PM
I think that, overall, the saturation we are seeing is good for the hobby because it will make game worn jerseys more attainable to a larger portion of the fan base, which should expand the market as a whole. However, as there was in the game used card market, people getting in early (e.g., now) are likely to have some resentment as market prices tumble. I am speaking only with regards to baseball.

Personally, I would be uncomfortable owning game worn jerseys from any current star players (from an investment, not a collector, standpoint).

Similar to the card market, I also believe this will drive up the value of jerseys worn by HOF-caliber players who retired before the flood, as collectors tend to flock toward scarcity. It will likely also help the values of unique pieces (milestone/playoffs).

That would be correct. The old stuff resurfaces with more value.

flaco1801
04-09-2014, 04:50 PM
If a ML team can buy a set of jerseys for 40 bucks and sell them after a road trip for a profit why not?....soon they wont have to launder them and save more money.....collectors love them smelly....

lengthwise1
04-09-2014, 06:06 PM
If a ML team can buy a set of jerseys for 40 bucks and sell them after a road trip for a profit why not?....soon they wont have to launder them and save more money.....collectors love them smelly....

As far as I have been told, teams pay $130 for a jersey straight from Majestic.