Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stasman
    • Dec 2011

What's it worth? Frank Thomas rookie cap

Now that I had my Frank Thomas 1990 rookie game worn hat authenticated by 2 seperate persons and that Frank also confirmed it was his Rookie worn hat, what do the members think it's value could be for insurance purposes?

I have never seen a game worn rookie hat of a Hall of Famer so I have no idea on its value. Thanks
  • spartanservitto
    • May 2010

Re: What's it worth? Frank Thomas rookie cap

600-800, my guess
    sigpic
    Always looking for ALEX AVILA, ALBERT PUJOLS, HOME RUN BATS, and any high end gamers from 90's-00's stars.

Tony Servitto
    My Email: servitto84@yahoo.com
    My Website: http://vitosbatsandmemorabilia.webs.com/

Comment

• stasman
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by spartanservitto
      600-800, my guess
      Wow.. I would think a rookie HOF hat would be worth more. Interesting

Comment

• spartanservitto
        • May 2010

How much is a rookie bat worth probably 900-1100, and hats are generally worth less unless there is some in game significance, given it's a rookie hat, definitely a premium.

A regular frank bat is between 350-500- therefore a regular hat is probably 250-350 just because they are little rarer, that's a 100 percent premium on a documented rookie hat.
        sigpic
        Always looking for ALEX AVILA, ALBERT PUJOLS, HOME RUN BATS, and any high end gamers from 90's-00's stars.

Tony Servitto

Comment

• Roady
          • Jun 2012

I would tend to agree with spartanservitto. Look at what his rookie bats go for and take a little off. The hat may be more rare but you have less collectors for it.
          For me, I like the rarest item I can find no matter the value. So I would buy the hat before a bat. But most collectors would rather have a bat I would assume based on watching collectors interest over the years.

I was actually figuring around $500 for it so $600-$800 is higher than I would value it. It is ultimately worth what someone is willing to pay.
          My value is biased because I could not see paying more than $500 for it. But someone else may value it at much more.

Comment

• PAC
            Banned
            • Jan 2012

$300-$400 max

If it was a jersey...yeah, big money. Bat? That would be awesome too.

But there just aren't that many hat collectors out there. Hats are in the same category as cleats and pants (and probably somewhere between those 2 in price). Hats don't seem as personal, aren't as visually appealing, don't display well, don't have the "cool" factor, etc. that jerseys and bats do.

I know you want us to tell you that it's worth $10,000...but it's not. If you love it, then that's all that matters.

Comment

• Roady
              • Jun 2012

PAC,
              The only thing I disagree with is that hats, to me at least, are much easier to display than jerseys and I think they display very well.

Comment

• Nnunnari
                Banned
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by PAC
                $300-$400 max

If it was a jersey...yeah, big money. Bat? That would be awesome too.

But there just aren't that many hat collectors out there. Hats are in the same category as cleats and pants (and probably somewhere between those 2 in price). Hats don't seem as personal, aren't as visually appealing, don't display well, don't have the "cool" factor, etc. that jerseys and bats do.

I know you want us to tell you that it's worth $10,000...but it's not. If you love it, then that's all that matters.
                Very well said and I agree.

Comment

• spartanservitto
                  • May 2010

I guess I premiumed based on the big hurt authenticating- but I agree with every follow up , my guess was a little high.
                  sigpic

Tony Servitto

Comment

• Phil316
                    • May 2013

Who do you compare Frank Thomas with to come up with a price?

If you look at his stats he was a beast. He accomplished a lot in his career. He did not however break any major records like a Cal Ripken or even Barry Bonds.

He supposedly never used steroids in an era that it with prevalent in and put up huge numbers.

Who knows. Personally if I was gonna value the hat I would put a 750 to 800 price tag on it. It has a great story behind it, it's authenticated by PSA/DNA, authenticated by Frank himself, rookie hat and is signed 2 times.

In the end it is worth what someone will pay for it. Nothing more nothing less.

It is a great piece and hopefully you will never have to sell it.

Comment

• stasman
                      • Dec 2011

Thanks everyone....good info

Comment

• nycpropain
                        • Sep 2009

Did PSA authenticate it?

Comment

• stasman
                          • Dec 2011

It came from Ball Park Heroes (Coa)...I then had authenticator Dave Miedema authenticate it... Then I personally showed it to Frank Thomas who authenticated it. No need for PSA. )

Comment

• Phil316
                            • May 2013

I remember seeing a PSA/DNA sticker did they not authenticate the new auto?

Comment

• stasman
                              • Dec 2011

Yes.. Sorry. PSA did authenticate the new auto because they were on scene when I showed it to Frank.. He confirmed the old auto as being his signature from his rookie time.. He said that was when he wanted to sign with all the letters in his name. I figured that was better than a PSA on the old one. I actually video taped him saying that.

Comment

Working...