PDA

View Full Version : Tops in Trophies

mjkm90
12-15-2006, 01:57 PM
We all love a variety of vintage memorabilia and know "the look" of quality when we see it. I am not aware of anyone who specializes in trophies. That being said, I would love to hear about collectors who have some of the top examples in the hobby i.e. the full Spalding set. Does anyone know of a collector who is at or near the top of this particular niche?

vintagesportscollector
12-15-2006, 06:24 PM
Hi Mike - I don't know anyone that is tops in trophies, but I too would like to know. I bet you and Ryan would probably know best who some candidates might be. Last night a bunch of sweet trophies sold on Lelands, including the full Spalding set (not sure if the Catcher was Spalding). I imagine all of those could have come from the same collector - whoever that might be?? Final realized price for all 5 lots $23,400.

mjkm90
12-16-2006, 07:11 AM
From what I have heard the full set of Spaldings that sold 2 years ago in REA and the large lot that sold last year came from one collector. The person who purchased that lot last year has one hell of a collection. OOOOHHH how I wish it was me:(

vintagesportscollector
12-16-2006, 11:41 AM
I was looking last night at the large lot of 24 trophies that sold on REA in April. I recognize a few as having been sold since in other auctions this year. Hunt had two for sale in their November LS auction. One sold in Nov. and one DNS.....BUT I saw both on display with price tags in Reading a couple weeks ago. If the one of them sold in their Nov. aucton then why was it on display at Reading?? I have seen that a few times from Hunt before. Interesting....

mjkm90
12-16-2006, 11:51 AM
I suspect that happen a lot Joe. They hate to place DNS next to any item and certainly don't want to take a hit. I will be interested to see if the trophy I emailed you about this morning shows up again.

batterymates
12-18-2006, 10:42 PM
speaking of trophies....lets see some.

batterymates
12-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Guess I will get it started...would love to see some trophies guys!

mjkm90
12-20-2006, 03:43 PM
I put a few displays together for you fellas.:) The first pic is a three handled trophy that is 14h and 12w. Many of you have seen the rest of my trophies as I post pics when I get them. There are a few cups you may not have seen before.

Haylo
12-22-2006, 12:24 AM
Great subject, I'm looking for a Dick Wantz trophy. It was given out to California/Los Angeles Angels players starting in 1966. The trophies are very large.

Is this something that would come to the secondary market, that is a trophy like the Dick Wantz trophy. Is there a big demand for trophies?

Seasonwithangels@aol.com

mjkm90
12-22-2006, 05:58 AM
Trophies associated with big league teams and players do come on the secondary market, but demand premium prices. Usually however, they stay with the family of the player. I am not familiar with the trophy you are referring to, but that doesn't mean much. I tend seek out non-professional trophies. That being said, vintage trophies in general if of quality construction, age, and visual appeal also command high prices these days. Trophies from the mid 30s and older seem to be the most desirable. Avoid anything that looks at all like the stereotypical little league trophy in construction or form and don't touch softball trophies.

vintagesportscollector
12-22-2006, 08:15 PM
I was waiting for this to arrive before I posted a pic. I got this trophy from Lelands last week. Pretty excited about it.

http://www.geocities.com/vintagesportscollector/TrophyReach.html

I must say A++ for Lelands..great service. Auction ended last Thur and it arrived today. They shipped it the same day my payment arrived (I wasn't expecting as much given the busy season).

-Joe

mjkm90
12-22-2006, 10:41 PM
Joe! Holy Cow! That cleaned up well didn't it. Let me be the first to say...YOU STOLE THAT TROPHY IN BROAD DAYLIGHT!!!:D