PDA

View Full Version : Marucci "exact specs" player bats in catalogue.

sox83cubs84
04-12-2014, 10:37 PM
On my flight back fro Philadelphia on Thursday, I opted to take a look at the Sky Mall catalogue, the sales magazine on Southwest Airlines flights. In it was an ad from Marucci offering "exact specifications" bats of 5 current MLB players who use them. I'm not sure if there are any markings to separate the brand new ones from the ones actually shipped to the players, but it could cause a headache for collecting Marucci bats from these five players:

David Ortiz
Andrew McCutchen
Jose Bautista
Chase Utley
Albert Pujols

These may be offered as well in other high-end shopping catalogues, airline or otherwise. The brand new bats cost $199.99 each plus shipping. I'm hoping that price will deter bat forgers from going after some of these players, based on small profit margins. Still, since I saw it, I figured it would be good to post it.

Dave Miedema

sportsnbikes
04-12-2014, 11:15 PM
I thought I saw a website offering one of these types of bats. I was thinking that it didn't ahve the players name on it thought. Just the model i.e. CU26.

Now this Mike Trout bat is a different story. I can't see anything different from his GU model I see and this model being offered. Big potential problem! All one would have to do is grab some mota stick and head for the ball diamond with a ML baseball and make a fraudulent bat. Someone would bite on it. I think these bats are VERY bad for the game used hobby however, they are awesome for the autograph seekers/collecters...the honest ones I should say.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Hickory-Professional-Model-Baseball-Bat-Mike-Trout-Model-MT27-/161063781695?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item258026453f#ht_3066wt_939

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Hickory-Bat-Co-MT27-Mike-Trout-Custom-Pro-Maple-Wood-Bat-/171279429238?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item27e10cae76#ht_5537wt_1362

yanks12025
04-13-2014, 04:55 AM
I believe the letters in the year code on the old hickorys are different from gamers compared to store models. There was a thread somewhere.

sportsnbikes
04-13-2014, 02:51 PM
I believe the letters in the year code on the old hickorys are different from gamers compared to store models. There was a thread somewhere.

That's good to know!!

PAC
04-14-2014, 10:36 PM

Yeah. But sometimes when a bat gets thrown down in the dirt, shoved in bat racks, and rolled around on the floor of a dugout...date code letters accidentally get scratched or smeared beyond recognition...

metsbats
04-15-2014, 09:50 AM
These are not pro model bats. Note Skymall indicates these are replicas and the stamping on the barrels have an "R" on them which are not typical with pro model bats. I seriously doubt the same wood is used for these "replicas" and i'm sure the knobs may be stamped differently too.

http://www.skymall.com/replica-big-leaguebats/28059GRP.html#q=bats&start=18

metsbats
04-15-2014, 10:46 AM
I sent an email to Marucci to get more info on these replicas.

As a customer they will not even allow you to put a MLB player name on a customized bat so I don't believe they would sell a exact pro model to the public.

lengthwise1
04-15-2014, 10:57 AM
I saw that as well and I have to guess there is some sort of marking or date code to tell you whats what. I know when the Rockies get pro model bats to be autographed and sold, they get player spec bats that have some sort of marking from the manufacturer to note its not the real thing issued to the player.

lengthwise1
04-15-2014, 10:58 AM
I saw that as well and I have to guess there is some sort of marking or date code to tell you whats what. I know when the Rockies get pro model bats to be autographed and sold, they get player spec bats that have some sort of marking from the manufacturer to note its not the real thing issued to the player.

I should of added, most use inferior wood as well